Friends dog attacked

HeyMich

Visit site
And any red top paper if you can.

Yes, and use social media too, if your friend is ok with that? You could post up a brief description of the incident and frame it as a warning message for other local dog walkers. Give some vague details but not many, and let SM do the rest. Good luck, it sounds like a horrendous incident!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
when you take clover to meet the pug it might be good to meet outside their house and just walk together not too close and you and friend chat as normal so the pug doesnt think its a big deal. you will know if that would be enough exposure for a first time or if the pug is comfortable you could then go in their garden, let the pug off lead and keep clover on so the pug can interact if she wants to. good luck

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I also invested in bright orange “no dog” harnesses and leads for mine after the attack, in a bid to keep people from letting their dogs get too close. Unfortunately dogs can’t read and nor can a lot of dog owners, but it does help and it has sparked a few “educational” conversations along the way.

I used our village fb page to warn other walkers and the local information hub (aka the village shop) to provide the details. 9 months later and random people still stop to ask how my dog is doing.

SAujla

Visit site
Yes, and use social media too, if your friend is ok with that? You could post up a brief description of the incident and frame it as a warning message for other local dog walkers. Give some vague details but not many, and let SM do the rest. Good luck, it sounds like a horrendous incident!
My friend has been posting about it all over Facebook and in particular her local area page. Thats where she found out about numerous other incidents with the same dog which makes the response from the authorities even more disgraceful. She's made a statement for the police.

Last edited:

SAujla

Visit site
when you take clover to meet the pug it might be good to meet outside their house and just walk together not too close and you and friend chat as normal so the pug doesnt think its a big deal. you will know if that would be enough exposure for a first time or if the pug is comfortable you could then go in their garden, let the pug off lead and keep clover on so the pug can interact if she wants to. good luck
Yes we are going to meet in a field/nature reserve which has a paddock area so my plan is to go there, close the gates and keep Clover on leash and let the pug dictate everything. Even if the pug doesn't come close and that's as far as we get then its fine, I'll leave it there and try and go a step further another day if the pug wants too. The big bonus is that Clover is so gentle and soft with dogs that I'm hoping the pug will realise there is no threat. However long the pug needs is fine, last thing I want to happen is a second negative experience. Clover just wants to sniff and run so the long term goal is they just potter about together

Last edited:

SAujla

Visit site
Update. My friend hasn't got anywhere with the council but she's not prepared to drop the issue either. The people in her area are all sick of the owner and are reporting him to the police each time they see the dog off leash which is making the police reluctantly do visits to the area.

Her pug is coming along slowly, due to the area where the injuries are its a slow heal and finding a harness to fit her without aggravating the injuries is proving difficult.

I was due to meet them both today but Clover went into season yesterday so called it off.

SAujla

Visit site
There is a group your friend could join - "Protect Our Pets". They are campaigning for dog on dog attacks to be made a criminal offence.

I am so sorry for her. It is a huge worry of mine walking a small dog on my own.
Thank you I have told my friend about the group. It goes back to how dogs are classed as property in the same way electrical items are. There is nothing in this world more valuable to me then my dog, and I certainly wouldn't class her as my property, we are friends (hopefully best friends but I can't speak for her).

The pictures of my friends dog certainly seem to have sprung people into action

Moobli

Visit site
[QUOTE="Rowreach, post: 14737628, member: I’m surprised the dog warden isn’t interested but I guess we don’t know all the facts. Mine has been brilliant.

I don’t know if things have changed, but around 11 years ago, a friends on lead dog was attacked by 4 others. He was practically ripped apart. Neither dog warden or police were interested. I took him to the vet as my friend didn’t want her kids to see him. He died 2 days later.[/QUOTE]

That’s horrific on all counts.

Moobli

Visit site
I’m surprised the police weren’t interested especially as it was a pit bull type. Are they still a banned breed? I hope your friend gets somewhere with the authorities and more importantly that her little dog makes a full recovery.

Smitty

Visit site
I do hope your friend has joined the Protect Our Pets group.

There is a new post today saying the Mirror want people to contact them if their dog has been attacked.

This I think is just going to be an escalating problem due to the breeds and crosses that are popular nowadays and end up in unsuitable hands ...

SAujla

Visit site
Positive update:

My friend had her court date today over the situation, the other owner predictably didn't turn up and has been given 28 days to surrender his dogs otherwise they will be taken from him and he'll be given a second breach of court order after having one for not turning up.

Thanks to everyone on here for their help, I'm very proud of my friend for fighting for her dog and doing the right thing even though it would have been easier to just move on.