Frog Supports

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Well, m'poor Little Lad
frown.gif

He got a nail in his off hind last week, which was tubbed and poulticed; there was no discharge and could not see the hole the day after it happened.

Yesterday I brought him off the field because I thought lammi was starting
frown.gif
. To add to the interest, he's lame on the off-hind, though the digital pulse is fairly even all round (it's not bounding, just can be felt if you know what I mean).

He's now on box rest for two weeks. But, the stable roof leaks, so if I put a deep bed down, it's going to be soaked if it rains tonight
frown.gif
. Farrier says make some make-shift frog supports for the three feet; and put a poultice on the off-hind.

The frog supports will have to be changed every forty-eight hours, and the poultice changed every day if there is any infection/discharge.

Soooo (hot choccy for getting this far
grin.gif
), what is the best way of going about this? All these changes are going to be a right pain with bandages being binned daily
frown.gif
. Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to go? Should I get poultice boots? Should I get up the ladders and fix the roof? If I do the roof, I can put a deep bed down (he's messy bobo lol).

Farrier will be in our neck of the woods this Thursday and happy to come see. Vet will be around on Friday, but will come out sooner if I ask.

Thankies for any and all suggestions/help/guidance/etc.
grin.gif

Edited 'cos I likes the boaty
grin.gif

Linz75

Visit site
Someone told me what to make homemade frog supports with, & can I remember? NO! It was something like rolled up small bandages I think..
confused.gif

Could you ask farrier for some lilypads - they are really cheap.
smile.gif

Persephone

Visit site
I'm sure it would. It'll just be a b****r to get off each day!

Regarding the leaking roof LOL, I don't know what current thinking is but at one time the recommendation was to put pone on a wet shavings bed as it was cool for the feet!

Why not try looking useless and see if someone else will go up for you!

Sorry you are going through this I know exactly how you must feel
frown.gif

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
MrsM - sorry to hear about LL
frown.gif
- have a look on Laminits Clinic website - I think its the same people who make Formula 4 Feet that make their frog supports - they are reusable so might be worth investing in?
confused.gif

I have also got my coblet on Laminits Prone from Global Herbs - may also be worth a look.

Must go as am away with work and am perched on window sill with mobile and flaptop to get signal - but needed my fix of hho!!!
blush.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

TGM

Visit site
Speak to your vet about the frog supports - some vets advocate them, some don't. Personally I think a deep shavings bed is better, as it will pack in and offer even support, whereas with frog supports you have to be careful to get the pressure right. So definitely fix the roof!

Wouldn't bother with a poultice boot - they usually rub or come off in my experience. Best solutions are usually involve combining some of the following - vetwrap, duct tape, plastic feedbags, nappies etc.

Some useful threads:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3507735/Main/3503746/

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3324776/an//page/vc/vc/1

f_s_

Visit site
Apart from fixing the roof!! (Don't fancy that job myself!!
grin.gif
)

you can make frog supports yourself. You need to roll up some gamgee or bandage until it is fairly stiff (if you see what I mean) then bind it with vet wrap.

I can't remember the name of the product, but I have a poultice kit, excellent for abscesses. It has a gel yo put on the area, and a shaped pad. You gamgee it on cover with vet wrap and then I duck tape it, to keep it on. Vet even thought this gel was good as it heats up and draws the pus out.

Finally, I would say a damp, deep litter bed would be better for the pony, more support for the feet, especially shavings. It's not pleasant to clean out but pony will be more comfortable.
grin.gif
grin.gif

I hope that it's nothing serious and pony will be on the mend very soon
grin.gif
grin.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ta LZ - think I'll get him to call by and see what I'm doing...
blush.gif

P - yes, we have our very own sprinkler system, so long as it's raining
wink.gif
. lol. Did the looking useless bit today (admittedly was useless, must stay away from Dairy!). Is a pity that it's this ned that has the issue - he's not hubby's favourite
blush.gif
. Could get daughter to do, but gawd knows what state the pair of them would end up
cool.gif

SU - so long as the window is shut tight, you stay right where you are
grin.gif
. Will try the herby things ta.

TGM - yup, our vet is one for the bed rather than the supports. Ho hum. Step ladder anyone?
cool.gif
. Will go look at the links. Thank you
smile.gif

Nailed

Visit site
Firstly.. whys its Newlounge 2?!

Secondly, If you need vet wraps I have copius amounts im not going to be using anytime soon...

I have to say, personally speaking I prefer a deep bed for support, and yes i would be poulticing the foot silly LL =o(

If you need vetrap, poultice, gauze bandage let me know. =o)

Nappies can also be quite cheap and handy.

Lou x

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
NL became full to over-flowing
frown.gif
. So they're giving it some steroids and gave us NL2 to keep us amused in the meantime
grin.gif

If you have any spare vetwraps
grin.gif
, but you may need them one day
cool.gif

Nailed

Visit site
Newlouge 2 looks silly though?

LoL I dont need them now!

And you do! Send me ya list of what ya need, the gauze rolles will work for frog supports if your going down that route,

Lou x

AandK

Visit site
i always use a couple of nappies and copious amounts of duck tape when polticing a foot. nappies are perfect shape for the horses foot and much easier to fit than gamgee!!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That sounds like the most promising starting point!

And your sure you dont mind picking me up?

Lou x

[/ QUOTE ]

No probs hun
grin.gif
. Just text and let me know what time you'll be in at Derby, 'n' me 'n' the heap that is my transport will be there with mud on
grin.gif

teddyt

Visit site
High density foam makes a good frog support. Look in the supermarket for a gardeners kneeling board, about £2 each and will do 2 hooves. It compresses slightly under pressure and moulds to the foot. Cut it to the shape of the hoof, a bit of vetwrap to hold it then make a grid of duct tape shaped like a square and put that over the top.

f_s_

Visit site
Yes it should only be on the frog, so you have to shape it to that.

It's a bit of a pain really, I think you need two pairs of hands, as you have to position it then bandage round it keeping it in the same place!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

teddyt

Visit site
I was taught this by a very good equine vet and remedial farrier when working with them as part of my job. Im sure there are different schools of thought but basically the idea is the foam compresses under the weight of the horse. It therefore moulds to the shape of the foot/frog and gives support. The foam cant be as soft as polystyrene or a sponge, it needs to feel firm but will give if squeezed hard. Putting on just frog supports is harder because they can slip/move and need to be put on accurately in order not to push in the wrong place.

f_s_

Visit site
I really can see your point.

When the vet put frog supports on mine he made them quite firm, not soft and slushy, and shaped them to the frog.

I can see that the foam would mould to the rest of the foot and the sole. Would you have to raise the frog part of the template slightly then? Sorry if that's a numpty question, I may have misinterpreted what you said
grin.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
As I understand it, if I put him on a deep shavings bed then I dont use frog supports?

I ask because last time he had lammi, we didn't do the frog supports, just the deep bed. We were lucky, no rotation that time (three months box rest!).

Horses! Worse than having children
wink.gif