Frog Supports

f_s_

Visit site
Did the vet say no frog supports if on a deep shavings bed?

IMO (I'm no vet btw) if he is on a really deep, damp shavings bed (right up to the stable door) then I wouldn't put frog supports on, but I could be wrong. The shavings should pack the feet and provide that support already and I wouldn't want to put excess pressure on the frog with more support (the supports are quite firm).

I suppose it depends on how bad he is. Is it a laminitis wobble? That's contradiction of terms if ever there was one, but just to ascertain the severity really!
grin.gif

teddyt

Visit site
f_s - If after a couple of days you need more support you can just add a new pad on top of the moulded one. So you have foot, then moulded (old) pad then new pad. Or if the first pad gets too compressed you just change it for a new one. You dont have to raise any of it.
mrs-m - if you have a deep shavings bed then you dont have to have frog supports too. the shavings pack into the foot and give the support. just as long as the bed covers the whole stable. if the laminitis is very bad some vets want frog support too. Havnt got children yet, hoping they will be easier than horses though!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Yup, no froggies if on shavings. The bed will be about a foot deep and cover the entire floor of the stable. The lammi link posted higher up also says deep shavings as they pack round the foot where the ned needs it - ned can stand in whatever way is comfortable. I'm going to go the deep bed route because it's what we've used before. I'll just have to get up a ladder and fix the roof
cool.gif
. So, if you don't hear from me after today...
blush.gif

He's not into the stance (yet!). I have been ill today and not seen him, but Friend says he's rocked back a bit more than yesterday, but the digital pulse is slightly lower than yesterday all round.

Is confusing! But, am treating as though lammi just in case
cool.gif

f_s_

Visit site
Thanks for that, really appreciate the reply
smile.gif

Much easier than trying to bandage frog supports on!! They are a nightmare, and I was terrified I'd either tightened then too much or that they'd slip!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

I'll remember that, if I ever need them again (fingers crossed I won't)

grin.gif
grin.gif

f_s_

Visit site
Sounds like you've caught it quickly, good luck, and I hope he picks up quickly
smile.gif

Keep us posted! I've just added some very valuable tips to my little brain on here tonight, brilliant forum!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
Thanks everyone
grin.gif

teddyt

Visit site
no problem. i hope you never need to do it too
smile.gif

good luck fixing the roof mrs m, wear your hat and body protector
grin.gif

Peter026

Visit site
If you go to the local garden center and buy the kneeling pads, you can cut them to the shape of the foot and then tape on with ductape..Cheap and does the job

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ta P026. Will be going that way
smile.gif

Ta PN - vet knows full history and is not unduly concerned (she knows what a paranoid owner I am after Tiggy, so she would come out if she felt there was a need). I have sent her a text to ask her about anti-bs though
smile.gif

f_s_

Visit site
Never heard of antibiotics for laminitis! Nor for an abscess for that matter, laminitis is not a bacterial infection as far as I'm aware!!!

Was also told that abscesses don't respond to antibiotics very well, by my vet!!

Let me know what your vet says on that, if you don't mind
grin.gif
grin.gif