Full lameness workup

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your kind words and support through all of this. 10 days on from vet visit, pony is still dog lame but is enjoying his turnout in the afternoons so we are slowly extending the amount of time he's allowed out. After talking it through with the family and other horsey friends, I think I've more or less decided that if he continues as he is, if he is still lame after his 2 months in the field then he will have a lovely week stuffed to the eyeballs with painkillers and carrots and we will let him go.

Birker2020

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your kind words and support through all of this. 10 days on from vet visit, pony is still dog lame but is enjoying his turnout in the afternoons so we are slowly extending the amount of time he's allowed out. After talking it through with the family and other horsey friends, I think I've more or less decided that if he continues as he is, if he is still lame after his 2 months in the field then he will have a lovely week stuffed to the eyeballs with painkillers and carrots and we will let him go.
If it helps at all I think you are making the right decision. But I know how hard that is. Massive hugs to you. x

Sprogladite01

Visit site
If it helps at all I think you are making the right decision. But I know how hard that is. Massive hugs to you. x
Thank you, yes it really helps a lot so I appreciate that. Most of my family are supportive but my dad (at first) was very vehemently against PTS, saying things like who are you to play God / he can be happy in the field as a companion with painkillers / offering to pay for his upkeep etc but that's gone considerably quieter over the last week, I think because he can see how awful he looks when he's in the field.

Birker2020

Visit site
Thank you, yes it really helps a lot so I appreciate that. Most of my family are supportive but my dad (at first) was very vehemently against PTS, saying things like who are you to play God / he can be happy in the field as a companion with painkillers / offering to pay for his upkeep etc but that's gone considerably quieter over the last week, I think because he can see how awful he looks when he's in the field.
I said I would happily keep Bailey on pain killers in the field forever, and I truly would have but when it was evident the pain killers weren't doing as much as they had previously and I had to up the dosage and then that was no longer effective I had to draw the line. Seeing her in pain it was a relatively easy decision to make and I've not had any guilt that i thought I might have had because i know I did absolutely everything in my power to help her and it was taken out of my hands.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Cautiously optimistic update: ponio is currently on yard rest for most of the day and then turnout for 2 and a half hours in the afternoon. He is loving his grass time bless him. And, dare I say it, in the last week or so the lameness in the front looks to be steadily improving - perhaps it was the pedal bone bruise taking it's time after all?

It is such an emotional rollercoaster. We have another month of rest until we reassess and make a decision but if the front end is ok, I'm definitely more open to trying the medicate the SI option. At the point of reassessment he will have done no ridden work for 6 months. Hoping this will all pay off and terrified it won't!

His personality has also mellowed dramatically - he's not barging, biting or pulling faces anymore so hoping that's because he's more comfortable. He even lets me cuddle him now and again - would never have let me do that 18 months ago!!

Ceriann

Visit site
Just read the thread and so glad he’s showing positive signs. He is so lucky to have you take such care of him. I think you can take some positivity from his change of mood too - long term pain is debilitating and would make the best of us grumpy! Hope he continues to improve.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Just read the thread and so glad he’s showing positive signs. He is so lucky to have you take such care of him. I think you can take some positivity from his change of mood too - long term pain is debilitating and would make the best of us grumpy! Hope he continues to improve.
Thank you, it's been a bit of a baptism of fire into horse ownership lol. Luckily his little companion is no trouble at all. Don't know how people cope with multiple medically needy neds!

not sure if this link will work but this was him going out to grass yesterday... :)

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Small update, handsome boy is going back for another workup on the 28th to see if the extended time off has helped at all. The tract from the abscess he had last Feb has now completely grown out which I think is quite amazing given how deep it was! My new farrier is fantastic and he is very pleased with Danny's feet so we should be able to eliminate shoeing issues from potential problems now. I'll be taking him to my local vets on the 28th rather than up to Rossdales again as he finds loading and travelling quite stressful, and I'm reasonably confident about what the vet will find - so no point doubling his travel time. In the meantime, he is still loving his grass in the afternoon - we are up to a whole 3.5 hours out now per day - inching the time up sooooo carefully - last thing we need is lami on top of everything else!!

Sprogladite01

Visit site
We had our appointment yesterday and it was quite eventful! We did our initial trot ups which showed that although he was still lame on the same 3 legs, he was HUGELY improved - so the time off had obviously done some good. Based on his prior scans and the trot up, the vet wanted to re xray the front feet and also xray his hocks to double check there wasn't anything going on there.

The hock x rays were all fine, very very minor changes but nothing that would be unexpected in a 13 year old horse. Nothing needed there.

The xrays of his feet showed that there was no degeneration in either foot since last time we took xrays; foot balance was significantly improved (yay new farrier!) and on the left foot there was even a little area that showed signs of healing.

On the trot up he was now worse on the right front than the left (previously front left was worse than front right) so this aligns with what we were seeing on the xrays.

He really struggled with cantering on a soft surface on the lunge, and was bunny hopping with his back legs in canter.
SO we discussed the fact he's a native with prior history of lami and we decided to treat his front feet with arthramid for coffin joint arthritis, and his SI with steroids. Both were done yesterday and he is now to stay off grass for 5 days, monitor closely for heat/pulses, and we can start gentle walk hacks in straight lines on Friday!

The vet seemed very positive about his potential prognosis so fingers are firmly crossed!

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Just got back from our first hack - it has been six months and five days since last time I rode him. I was fully expecting a prancing, snorting, fire breathing dragon but he completely surprised me by being completely and utterly chilled - our only tense moment was when we had a small herd of cows run at/towards him and even then, all he did was freeze a bit. I think where I was just so happy to be on him again, I was too full of joy to be nervous about what he *might* do, and when he did his usual little quirky things it didn't matter because they're nothing new and so he was probably also reacting positively to me being relaxed too.

Then again, he might be trying to lull me into a false sense of security for tomorrow :D

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Darling boy had a massage today as I figured it might be beneficial after coming back into "work". He was a little tight in his lumbar region but generally speaking was pretty good overall - lady reckoned he might still be feeling a little bruised after his injections into the SI. His left shoulder was much freer than it has been previously and he has started to square up again when standing still which I'm taking as a good sign. He had good and equal range of motion in all four legs and no terribly sore spots anywhere so all very encouraging. He has behaved like an angel on our walks so far and we have taken him into the school in hand to walk over poles which he is doing much better than before - previously it was a real whack-every-pole type thing whereas now he's not touching them around 70-80% of the time, and when he is touching them it's a small brush rather than a giant THWACK if that makes sense!

This was us on Wednesday evening :)Danny hack.jpg

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Update for anyone who is interested :) around week 3 we decided to stop taking him into the school for the in hand work as he was obviously unhappy doing it, even though he wasn't hitting the poles. It was also starting to affect his hack work as he was starting to trip in the front again - I think working on the surface is just too much for him at the moment. So, we scrapped the school work completely for now and he had a few days off over the heat wave, and since then have done walk hacking only which he is coping ok with so far. We seem to be working best in a 2 days on, 1 day off pattern at the moment.

I will be calling his vet next week to provide an update after 5 weeks, so will be interested to hear what the vet thinks. Slightly anxious as his insurance claim is up on the 31st August - eeeek!

Edit to add: the whole 'week 3' reference is in terms of how long it's been since he was treated!

Wizpop

Visit site
Really delighted for you! And well done for sticking with it and caring for him so well.
I’ve been reading through your thread from the start as my horse is due to go for the Neurectomy in the next few weeks - in fact he should have gone a few weeks ago, but then started withLaminitis - first time ever- so we’ve needed to deal with that first and then he can have the surgery. It’s such a minefield! He has bi lateral PSD in both hinds so can’t tell he’s lame till on a circle on the lunge……then I felt ike a bad mum for not realising….
But, reading through your thread and your progress has really helped as it’s so easy to get to the point where it all feels endless……
I really wish you all of the very best for your future together- he looks lovely in the photo?

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Really delighted for you! And well done for sticking with it and caring for him so well.
I’ve been reading through your thread from the start as my horse is due to go for the Neurectomy in the next few weeks - in fact he should have gone a few weeks ago, but then started withLaminitis - first time ever- so we’ve needed to deal with that first and then he can have the surgery. It’s such a minefield! He has bi lateral PSD in both hinds so can’t tell he’s lame till on a circle on the lunge……then I felt ike a bad mum for not realising….
But, reading through your thread and your progress has really helped as it’s so easy to get to the point where it all feels endless……
I really wish you all of the very best for your future together- he looks lovely in the photo?
Ahh bless you, it's such an emotional minefield isn't it! My boy also wasn't horribly lame which is why he went off for a full workup - I didn't think he was "lame", more just "not quite right" - turned out he was equally severely lame on both back legs :oops: so don't feel bad, I'd had two instructors, one physio and a very experienced friend ride my boy to see what they thought and only one agreed with me (my physio, who is utterly brilliant). I had also had 3 different vets look at him and none of them picked it up either!
Isn't lami fun?! I'm soaking hay for two at the moment (one lami, one fatty) and I think I am turning into the she-hulk from hauling all the buckets of water lol.
Good luck for your boy, feel free to PM if you ever need a sympathetic ear! x

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Spoke to my vet today as Danny has been deteriorating and has started tripping/stumbling a lot, even though we are only doing 30 minute walks 3 - 4 times a week. To cut a long story short, he believes Danny has a severe injury to the cartilage in his hoof combined with a DDFT injury, the beginnings of which were seen on his MRI back in April. He said the fact he had an initial good response that has rapidly deteriorated means it's either that there's an inflammatory response there that's so severe it's overriding the medication, or it's an injury the arthramid wouldn't help (he thinks this is most likely). He was very kind but ultimately his recommendation was immediate retirement with pain relief, and if I can't provide long term retirement/painkillers then to PTS. We are all utterly devastated, tried so hard for this boy but it just hasn't been enough. The worst part is that there's no definite diagnosis, just the continued deterioration every time we bring him back into work. Whatever the cause is, my vet has told me he believes it's extremely unlikely to come right and that we have gone above and beyond for him. Just wish above and beyond was enough :(

misst

Visit site
I have only just read your story. It is not unlike one of our boys a few years ago. It was PSD then collateral ligament problems in front then SI joint problems. We fixed one thing and something else went wrong :-( it is such a horrible rollercoaster of emotions. I was so happy reading your last few posts then read todays :-(
You have done everything you could for your lovely lovely boy and if it is time then I sympathise deeply. It is so tiring just keep on keeping on and you have done more than most. Whatever you decide he has been a very lucky horse. There are plenty out there being "ridden through" their "difficult attitude" or buted up and "lightly ridden". He has had the best of everything and you should be so proud of yourself. Thinking of both.

SheriffTruman

Visit site
Just read your story. I'm so sorry to hear he'll have to be retired. You did everything you could though, he's lucky to have you as his owner.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Thank you everyone, we've all just been shellshocked over here, which is a bit silly as I've had a sneaky feeling for a while that it might end this way. The last minute hope really knocked my expectations off-kilter though I think. For the moment he is buted up to the eyeballs and enjoying time in the field with his companion buddy. We will give him a few weeks of love, apples and sweeties and PTS before the worst of winter kicks in. As much as I hate to do it, he isn't quite field sound even on the bute so think this is best for him - this whole journey has been about trying to make him comfortable and ease his pain. He is so loved and we will make sure he knows that before he goes <3

Birker2020

Visit site
Thank you everyone, we've all just been shellshocked over here, which is a bit silly as I've had a sneaky feeling for a while that it might end this way. The last minute hope really knocked my expectations off-kilter though I think. For the moment he is buted up to the eyeballs and enjoying time in the field with his companion buddy. We will give him a few weeks of love, apples and sweeties and PTS before the worst of winter kicks in. As much as I hate to do it, he isn't quite field sound even on the bute so think this is best for him - this whole journey has been about trying to make him comfortable and ease his pain. He is so loved and we will make sure he knows that before he goes <3
I am so sorry its worked out this way but in your shoes I would pts sooner rather than later. If your horse is buted to the eyeballs and still not field sound then its time. They don't differentiate between summer or winter. They just know pain.

I hope you have a few more days with him but I think its time.

I don't mean to sound harsh as I know how difficult the decision is. Mine was pts last June so I know how hard it is to make the call. Thinking of you xx

Wizpop

Visit site
Spoke to my vet today as Danny has been deteriorating and has started tripping/stumbling a lot, even though we are only doing 30 minute walks 3 - 4 times a week. To cut a long story short, he believes Danny has a severe injury to the cartilage in his hoof combined with a DDFT injury, the beginnings of which were seen on his MRI back in April. He said the fact he had an initial good response that has rapidly deteriorated means it's either that there's an inflammatory response there that's so severe it's overriding the medication, or it's an injury the arthramid wouldn't help (he thinks this is most likely). He was very kind but ultimately his recommendation was immediate retirement with pain relief, and if I can't provide long term retirement/painkillers then to PTS. We are all utterly devastated, tried so hard for this boy but it just hasn't been enough. The worst part is that there's no definite diagnosis, just the continued deterioration every time we bring him back into work. Whatever the cause is, my vet has told me he believes it's extremely unlikely to come right and that we have gone above and beyond for him. Just wish above and beyond was enough :(

So very sad to read this. So difficult not to have a diagnosis. Your vet sounds very supportive and kind which must have helped in some small way. There is nothing I can say that hasn’t already been said and nothing more that you can do than you have already done . Sending lots of love and a virtual hug x

Spotherisk

Visit site
I’m so sorry to hear about Danny. Without going into my story again I had a similar situation - horse not quite right - and after a full on vet check it was decided that he would never come right, and I had to let him go. It is devestating, and Iam so sorry for you.

MystieMoo

Visit site

I am so sorry to read your update. You have been so amazing for him. I hope you can spend plenty of time with him loving him over the next weeks/months.

nagblagger

Visit site
just caught up with this thread, what an emotional roller coaster.
i am so sorry reading the update. I must congratulate you for noticing it so quickly that he had a problem, which others could not see, and got the best treatment.
Although it is hard, you can take small comfort that you have kept him as comfortable as possible and you will know when it is time.
hug