Full lameness workup

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Quick update for those who have been following. Danny had been off his hay so I had a vet out to check him about a week ago, who couldn't find anything obvious. Didn't worry too much as he was still grazing and eating his hard feed so we were making do. They recommended testing for cushings and a bunch of other things but I declined as the plan was to PTS in October anyway. I then booked in to have him PTS on the 17th October.

Then yesterday his sheath and stomach were swollen (ventral oedema) and his vet let me know he had a space this afternoon as he wanted to do an assessment of Danny before we PTS - so I mentioned the swelling and agreed he could come. Long story short, he also has some facial swelling and the vet thinks it's likely to be either kidney or cardiac failure causing this. He has gone absolutely mad for the salt lick and is drinking gallons so I suspect this is probably right. Bloods were taken today and we will have the results either tomorrow or Wednesday morning.

If necessary I will bring the PTS date forward but for now, he is doing ok-ish and the vet didn't feel it was a 'needs to be done right now' thing. More of a 'we need to do this before he rapidly declines' situation. I will know more once I have the blood test results and have spoken to the vet about whether we need to bring the date forward.

I'm in a really weird, all-cried-out, numb state about it all. Rubbish.

I love this pony so much.

SilverLinings

Visit site
I have only just read through this thread,and I am so sorry how it has all worked out for you and Danny. You tried so hard to find and fix all the problems and it seems so unfair when we can't mend the animals we love. I hope that you and Danny have a calm, uneventful time until the 17th, and that he enjoys the sunshine and grass. I am sorry that you are having to go through this, I have been through similar and it is exhausting, stressful and heartbreaking.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Goodness, I’m so sorry. I’ve just caught up with everything and you’ve really been through a tough time. you’ve clearly done your absolute best for him.

Wizpop

Visit site
I’ve also just caught up with this thread. What a dreadful time you have had, and are still having. You have done everything you could with bravery and determination and your pony is so very lucky to have you as his owner. Thinking about you and sending virtual hugs x

Sprogladite01

Visit site
The vet has just called and confirmed it's his kidneys and he's said we are ok to proceed as planned on the 17th. He told me the swelling is likely to get worse but not to panic too much about that unless Danny's attitude completely changes and he becomes very lethargic/mentally checked out, in which case he will come sooner.

My darling boy is going to get soooo many carrots in the next 2 weeks.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support, you are all lovely x

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
What an emotional rollercoaster. I’ve just read this entire thread and want to say what an amazing owner you are. You’ve done so much for this pony and I’m so, so sorry it hasn’t worked out.

Thinking of you today @Sprogladite01 ?❤️

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Danny spent his morning on the previously banned long grass, with the sun on his back and his best friend by his side. He went with a belly full of grass, after a feast of carrots, apples and parsnips while my mum and I told him how much we love him and what a good boy he was ❤️

If love could have saved him, he would have lived forever ❤️

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Danny spent his morning on the previously banned long grass, with the sun on his back and his best friend by his side. He went with a belly full of grass, after a feast of carrots, apples and parsnips while my mum and I told him how much we love him and what a good boy he was ❤️

If love could have saved him, he would have lived forever ❤️

was thinking of you today. Sleep tight Danny ❤️

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So sorry that all the love in the world couldn't save him. He knew about that love, though.