Full Livery Liabilites

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The 14 day period covers accidents. This kind of injury is covered from day 1 on a UK insurance policy.

I did not know that, thank you 🙏

You're very welcome. At least it will remove some of the burden to know that apart from your excess, the vet bills should all be covered. You need to let your insurance company know immediately. With even more luck you'll have a policy which covers some rehab costs. Good luck with the recovery.

Needtoretire

Visit site
The 14 day period covers accidents. This kind of injury is covered from day 1 on a UK insurance policy.

I hope you can get him fixed without further trauma.
This is sound advice and a claim should be honoured. Insurance policies are routinely started on the day a horse is purchased and loaded onto the lorry to make its way to the new home. The 14 days are in place to prevent a claim for disease. So, for example if you paid for a horse and loaded him but he fell off the ramp and injured himself you would be covered. You would not be covered if he limped off the ramp and was diagnosed with side bone/ring bone etc etc.

SO1

Visit site
First 14 days moving to a new full livery yard is the most risky as the horse is moving to an unfamiliar place and being handed by unfamiliar people who will not know what behaviour is normal for the horse.

He may well have been either on individual turnout due to biosecurity or on herd turnout which might have unsettled him.

On the first day my new pony arrived at the yard and I am on part livery he was in individual turnout for a month as that was what he is used to in his previous home but did not settle in the first individual turnout field which yard staff noticed and tried a different field where he could see other horses more easily before moving to herd turnout after a month. We tried to keep his routine the same as what he was used to before he arrived to allow him to settle before making changes but I know that is not always possible.

My previous pony jumped out of the field when he went into a new field with new herd mates we think he got frightened by the water trough and jumped out. Thankfully he was a very good jumper and not hurt. He has jumped out of the isolation paddock and he jumped out of his stable.

SO1

Visit site
I am on a livery yard that does rehab but in SE so will probably too far from Yorkshire for your daughter to be able to regularly see your horse.

We had a lovely horse come here for rehab that was originally from Dubai that had been sent to a yard to retire in beautiful pasture with other horses. The horse went from being stabled all the time in Dubai to herd turnout in the UK without a gentle introduction and when the owners visited the horse they were shocked at the condition he was in so he came to the our yard to recoperate and be gradually introduced to turnout. A lot of these horses from the middle east need careful introduction to turnout as they are just not used to it. Since then we had another two from UAE that came as well.

Brownie in Bahrain

Visit site
First 14 days moving to a new full livery yard is the most risky as the horse is moving to an unfamiliar place and being handed by unfamiliar people who will not know what behaviour is normal for the horse.

He may well have been either on individual turnout due to biosecurity or on herd turnout which might have unsettled him.

On the first day my new pony arrived at the yard and I am on part livery he was in individual turnout for a month as that was what he is used to in his previous home but did not settle in the first individual turnout field which yard staff noticed and tried a different field where he could see other horses more easily before moving to herd turnout after a month. We tried to keep his routine the same as what he was used to before he arrived to allow him to settle before making changes but I know that is not always possible.

My previous pony jumped out of the field when he went into a new field with new herd mates we think he got frightened by the water trough and jumped out. Thankfully he was a very good jumper and not hurt. He has jumped out of the isolation paddock and he jumped out of his stable.
The plan was to introduce gently, he’s never jumped out of any paddock since I’ve owned him. When he jumped out he headed back to his stable rather than the other horses so my thinking is that that’s where he feels safe. Glad your pony cleared the fence!

Brownie in Bahrain

Visit site
I am on a livery yard that does rehab but in SE so will probably too far from Yorkshire for your daughter to be able to regularly see your horse.

We had a lovely horse come here for rehab that was originally from Dubai that had been sent to a yard to retire in beautiful pasture with other horses. The horse went from being stabled all the time in Dubai to herd turnout in the UK without a gentle introduction and when the owners visited the horse they were shocked at the condition he was in so he came to the our yard to recoperate and be gradually introduced to turnout. A lot of these horses from the middle east need careful introduction to turnout as they are just not used to it. Since then we had another two from UAE that came as well.
To be honest i was just concerned at the amount of grass he would consume and the effect on his gut. Never in a million years did i think the whole act of turning him out would be an issue. When we hand grazed him he’s more interested in eating mud! I guess his repatriation journey started after the shipping.. I see so many horses left in the Middle East when their owners return home, it was never an option for us. He is family, just a troublesome one!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
My friend recommended you post on the equine services and livery East Yorkshire Facebook page asking for rehab services or directly ask the vet dealing with your horses injury. Sorry it wasn’t a more targeted response.

TheMule

Visit site
From what you have written it's hard to see that you would have any come back. Turnout is a normal part of full livery and it sounds like they were managing it fine- I would also hand graze and then unclip the horse when it seemed settled and happy grazing as an intro to turn out. It’s unfortunate your horse then seems to have been spooked by something and jumped a gate, but that’s just horses for you. They do stupid, costly things all the time. To prove some kind of negligence you'd need a much stronger case than that, unless there's more that you're not telling us?

Brownie in Bahrain

Visit site
From what you have written it's hard to see that you would have any come back. Turnout is a normal part of full livery and it sounds like they were managing it fine- I would also hand graze and then unclip the horse when it seemed settled and happy grazing as an intro to turn out. It’s unfortunate your horse then seems to have been spooked by something and jumped a gate, but that’s just horses for you. They do stupid, costly things all the time. To prove some kind of negligence you'd need a much stronger case than that, unless there's more that you're not telling us?
To be honest i wasn’t there and that’s all the info I’ve been provided with.. I’m now just looking to the future and rehab yards, that’s the best i can do for him.

sport horse

Visit site
I am afraid I am down south so I have no knowledge of good rehab yards in the NE. I would ask the treating vet for reccomendations.