Full/part livery people :)

be positive

Visit site
If they make a mess I would expect them to tidy it but they have no need to as nearly everything that could be messy is done for them on full livery, part is different as they are doing some jobs so tidy as they go usually.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
When I was on full livery I didn't do any jobs so I didn't make any mess to sweep up.
As for my belongings I always put my tack/grooming kit away myself and never left anything just hanging around.

horsehappy

Visit site
The mess is from leading horses out of stables and kicking bedding out ;) and tieing up picking beding out of feet before riding etc

to add- everyone is usually really tidy- just don't want to to be a moany YO if its not normal practice :)

montanna

Visit site
The mess is from leading horses out of stables and kicking bedding out ;) and tieing up picking beding out of feet before riding etc

to add- everyone is usually really tidy- just don't want to to be a moany YO if its not normal practice :)

I pick feet out into a bucket (old habit I guess!) but most liveries at my yard don't - the yard is fully swept and blown with a leaf blower in the morning and afternoon by the staff, so the YO wouldn't mind if it was left.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I would pick feet out into a bucket or sweep it up.

The kicking bedding out depends as if I was leading out tacked up to ride, I wouldn't stop to sweep but I would do a quick sweep outside my box when i finished up.

Batgirl

Visit site
If they make the mess yes. I am on 5/2 so when I am DIY I sweep the logical area around my stable and keep it basically neat and tidy when mucking/skipping out. During the week if I make a mess I clear it up. I wouldn't expect to have to sweep up more than my area (though I do anyway as the YO is my best mate)

Meems

Visit site
When I worked at a livery yard most owners didn't sweep up after themselves when leading their horse out of the stables to mount (leaving a trail of bedding) or if they brought them in from the field and left mud clots everywhere. Although slightly annoying if the yard was immaculately swept I didn't make an issue of it and would just clear up after them.

It would absolutely cheese me off though if they picked out their horse's hoofs straight onto the yard, pulled their mane/groomed them whilst they were moulting and left a big mound of hair, or if their horse did a poo and they didn't clear that up (unless they were already mounted and about to ride out)!

Maybe leave a note in the tack or tea room, asking politely that they ensure that they leave the area around their stable as they found it?

AshTay

Visit site
It wouldn't be unreasonable to ask people to pick feet out before leaving stable or to use a skip bucket (which you could provide) if doing it on the yard.
I think that's basic good manners anyway!

As a part-livery person (for one horse, other is DIY), I wouldn't expect to have to sweep up dropped hay, etc, from outside my stable but I do try not to make a mess by doing the above.

ihatework

Visit site
In general it would be good practice for full liveries to do this, I certainly clear up after myself, but then I have groomed and managed yards so I know these things ;)

In reality though there will be a fair proportion of full liveries who it wouldn't even cross their mind to do so. If they are good clients I'd let it slide.

misskk88

Visit site
I am currently on full livery, I think it is respectful to clear up your own mess regardless of whether you are expected to, although it will probably be limited if mucking out, feeding etc is done for you. I wouldn't however be tidying up other people's mess for them!

Hexx

Visit site
On our yard, full liveries are not expected to do any yard work at all, not even pick if their horse poos on the yard. However, diy and part liveries are expected to sweep up after themselves if trailling shavings, pick up poo and generally keep tidy- YO has no hesitation in having a go if you don't do it, but have seen her watch a full livery horse poo and then tell staff to get a skip and shovel to pick it up. We always pick out hooves into a skip.

mairiwick

Visit site
It's good manners to tidy up after yourself. We have rubber buckets that we pick out any mud etc into and there is always a yard brush/barrow/skip nearby to utilise. In fact I am pretty sure it is in our yard rules.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Quick question- is it out of the ordinary to expect full livery clients to sweep/tidy up after themselves?

If it's your yard then you can set your own guidelines. If you want people to clear/sweep up after themselves then that can be one of your rules. My full livery clients didn't/don't but then they weren't/aren't expected to. In my view they're paying for full livery which really boils down to, they turn up and play with their horse, then they leave. All manual work is done by someone else. I would imagine there's a split of people, some will tidy up after them, some won't. If it were me, instead of complaining to the few who didn't tidy up after them, I'd be pleased with the ones who did as they save me doing it :smile3:

applecart14

Visit site
I pick feet out into a bucket (old habit I guess!) but most liveries at my yard don't - the yard is fully swept and blown with a leaf blower in the morning and afternoon by the staff, so the YO wouldn't mind if it was left.

This is the same on the full livery yard I am on with the leaf blower, etc.

But I think if I were a full livery I would pick up poo and stuff. (I'm not as I am not that lucky, although I am on DIY on otherwise full livery yard (wow what an eye opener) but if I was I would really have a lot of respect).

wench

Visit site
It would depend on how the yard was looking when I made a mess. If it hasdnt been swept up that day yet, I wouldnt be doing any sweeping.

If the yard had just been swept and my horse had crapped in a clean bit, I would probably clean it up. But then it depends on lots of factors - individual yards, how tidy they are, how much time I have, and if there are any tools available (ie a previous yard didnt have any "generic" yard tools I could just pick up to clean up after myself)

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I have a rule that there is to be no sweeping floors when horses in (American Barn), I expect people to pick up poo from corridors and school and to put hair in a bucket if they are using shedding blades etc. I'm not bothered about picking feet out, bits of mud or bits of bedding, though. The barn is swept once a day, when empty of horses and the beds done.

blood_magik

Visit site
kicking out bedding when leaving the stable - no.
picking feet out on the yard/poo/hair from pulling etc - yes.

But then again your yard, your rules. :)
We used to have to pick feet out after riding in the school but they seem to have stopped insisting on it.

montanna

Visit site
This is the same on the full livery yard I am on with the leaf blower, etc.

But I think if I were a full livery I would pick up poo and stuff. (I'm not as I am not that lucky, although I am on DIY on otherwise full livery yard (wow what an eye opener) but if I was I would really have a lot of respect).

I would 100% pick up droppings, both from the yard and from the school. It's just good manners. I would never expect someone to run around after me with a poo scoop!

Sologirl

Visit site
I'm on full livery and I always sweep up after my part-Yeti horse! I forgot to once and when I returned to the pile of white hair/hoof pickings neatly swept up I was mortified!

twobearsarthur

Visit site

Never had bedding at the front of the stable so this never happened and never picked feet out outside of the stable. So this was never a problem.
If I had though I would have tidied up before I left.
I have seen full liveries though that turn up to a tacked up horse get on, ride and then hand the horse back.
Depends on individual yard set ups I suppose. Your yard your rules.

cyberhorse

Visit site
At our yard we get general warnings and then a threat to charge us for tidying up (e.g. charge added to the bill if a member of staff has to sweep the door in). I guess it just depends on the rules for each yard. I am generally a tidy sort anyhow so always clear up after our horses irrespective of whether they are on livery that day or not. The issue comes when the yard expects you to let their mistakes/untidiness go, and then is very quick to complain about the liveries.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
It depends on a full livery i would not expect to pick hoofs out from the field as i would expect this to be done - but if i was on a shavings bed I would pick out before bringing them out the stable. And yes i would sweep my bed back in if they dragged bedding out, but once I had finished riding.

But i have also been on control freak full livery where you were scared to even go in the stable with your horse, and to take the horse out of the stable - NO WAY - I was so pleased to move from that yard it was un true !

ossy

Visit site
If the yard was tidy and horse kicked out a load of bedding I would sweep up before I left yard, I don't pick feet out outside stable or wash bay so not an issue. If using the wash bay I always sweep it out after use.

Murphy888

Visit site
I really hope that people on full livery would still at least pick up poo. Can't imagine just leaving a poo there. Sweeping bits of hair and hay maybe not, especially if the staff sweep once/twice per day. Depends on the 'level' of mess though

Tiffany

Visit site
My girl is on full livery but I sweep up outside her stable when I've brought her out and I'll skip her out if she needs it. YO keeps yard tidy so we all try to do the same whether, full, part or DIY

alainax

Visit site
Little point to bear in mind...

If you wish for the full liveries to sweep up/clear up etc then you would have to provide a specific broom/brush/shovel/shavings fork/ tub etc for them to use. As full liveries generally won't have their own at the yard.

Fidgety

Visit site
I'm on full and I always pick out feet before bringing out of the stable, sweep up any footlets back into the stable, and always skip out if the pone has poohed whilst I'm around. I would never dream of asking (or paying) somebody to do something I wasn't prepared to do for myself.

Greylegs

Visit site
I'm on full livery on a yard which is fully swept twice daily. At other times we keep the place immaculate ourselves. So if horse poos if pick up, sweep up stray shavings etc. and brushes etc are provided for me to use.

The hair issue is interesting. My very hairy highland is currently moulting shed loads of hair. The other day after a hair removal session, I had a big pile of fluff to dispose of so went off to fetch a brush, but when I got back the yard sparrows were fighting over it and within minutes they'd taken the lot to line their nests. At least it was put to good use .....!