Fully clipped horses- whats your rugging system?

lynspop

www.trainingtails.moonfruit.com
Just wondering how many/ what weight rugs everyone puts on their fully clipped horses?
Just clipped my boy out fully today (including legs due to ongoing mud fever battle) and want to get rugging right. He's out during the day for about 8ish hours and in overnight everynight.
Tonight I left him with a 150gm rug under a 350gm heavyweight turnout (with neck)- does this sound about right? We are having a fairly cold spell where i am- temp sitting just above freezing just now.

3Beasties

Visit site
My 17 year old TB is usually a complete wimp, last year it was impossible to keep him warm.

This winter however has been so much easier despite having the same clip (hunter clip), routine etc.

The majority of this winter he has had a HW TO with neck on during the day in the field (maybe slightly too much for hiim some days but I haven't got a MW as he's never needed one before!!) and over night he has had a slightly heavier HW with neck.

Today he was out naked in the sun for a couple of hours, then I put his HW TO (350g) on. Tonight as it's dropped colder he's got a 450g with neck stable rug on, and also leg wraps but that's mainly because I was mean and hosed his legs off!

Only twice this winter has he needed 2 rugs.

Last edited:

Temptation

Visit site
My pony is fully clipped out (legs aswell) and has dovet 2 fleeces and a standard mark Todd polly... Don't know what weight it is. When he's out in the day he has a lovely big thick weatherbeta turnout and for his afternoons in his dovet and a fleece. I must add he is a right wimp and gets cold!

Syrah

Visit site
Depends on the horse.

Mine is fully clipped and in a heavyweight the last couple of days because it's dropped below zero. She's warm enough and doesn't need any more than that.

Other horses may need an under rug.

Check the base of the ears and pop your hand under the rug/s to see if they are warm enough.

Edited to add: my heavyweight t/o and stable rugs are 300g. I tend to leave her t/o on when she comes in and it's really cold. I quarter it to groom, just a quick flick.

Last edited:

NeverSayNever

Visit site
every horse is different so (no offence OP) i dont get these posts. You have to base how you rug your horse on what you see in front of you. Look at condition/weight, feel - is the horse cold?

Last winter - we had down to -15 and i had a fine built sports horse fully clipped and living out. He was in a 420g full neck and at times had a 100g under it.

This winter is not nearly so bad. I now have a different type of horse, a Sec D, who is also fully clipped and in a 220g standard neck with a snuggyhood on.

I also have a clipped mini in a 200g

whizzer

Visit site
Wears full neck under rug(200g ish) most of the time,has 450g turn out on over it in the day.
Tonight has his heavy weight stable rug on,think it's 350g,might be a bit more.
Not put 3rd on as he desperately needs re-clipping,once I've re-clipped next week he'll have 3rd rug(thin-ish fleece) on as well on the colder nights.

simplyhunting

Visit site
Both in 300g, one in a amigo medium with 100g liner under, and the other in a derby house combo version thingy. Both seem happy enough for wimpy tb's and living out 24/7 :)

MiCsarah

Visit site
You ready for this?
1. Under rug, lw stable, mw t/o and hw t/o (he's a very cold boy who were trying to get and keep weight on!
2. L/w stable. Hw t/o
3.4.5 mw stable and mw t/I and under rug if gets colder.
6. Cotton sheet, quite a thick under rug, mw rug and then sometimes a lw aswell
Think that's all

Tuffles 23

Visit site
It depends on the weather if very cold its the h/w if mild its m/w and i always stick my hand in there rugs to see if there warm :D but fully clipping my old boy tomorrow and he's a big wimp so will more than likely be every rug he's got lol

lynspop

www.trainingtails.moonfruit.com
Thank you everyone for your replies.
Sid does seem to be a bit of a wimp when it comes to the cold.
As he's getting older (20 this year) and he's quite fine (TBxID) I want to make sure he's comfortable.
His weight is good just now and he looks well, I want to try and keep it that way!

Spotsrock

Visit site
Fully clipped hard as nails pony is in mid weight with no fill over it to protect it. When below 0 i'm adding a fleece. If stays below i'll swap mid for a heavy and leave off fleece. Wimpy clipped out pony fleece and heavy weight again with no fill over to protect the more expensive rug. When stays below i'll swap fleece for mid ish stable rug with neck.

Visit site
This year, as it has been so mild he has mostly just been wearing a Heavyweight stable rug. On the colder nights I have put a fleece underneath, but as it has suddenly gone even colder he has just started wearing an under rug underneath.

acw295

Visit site
Molly has her legs on but body clipped out (apart from head as she won't let me near it). Anyway, she's a warm person (Welsh D), hates being hot and gets sweat rash easily if over rugged. She's also very good doer.

Out for 12hrs ish by day (less at weekends as ride longer) - usually in a 200g turnout at the moment with neck but on sunny days take neck off. In at night, up to 12 hrs and usually stays in same rug but not with the neck at night. Tonight is unusually in in a mw stable rug but usually leave turnout on.

If it gets below 3 degrees by day, she'll go up to 300g turnout, again has detachable neck.

She has heavyweights and needed them in last 2 winters but not this year yet!