FUMING- RSPCA..............

mollymurphy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I do understand what you are saying but at the end of the day money is not endless with these charities!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the big bosses are on about £150,000 a year!!! Same with all the big animal charities. It's disgusting!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
After seeing how useless the RSPCA were at wickham horse fair yesterday i have lost all faith - there were foals collapsing they were so tired and desperate to lay down but couldnt....horses bleeding from where they were whipped....the one i liked was bleeding from the mouth....one horse was made to go so fast down the road it fell over and was runover by its own cabby (luckily got up ok but lame....they still made it keep going) had horses beaten infront of you......when i asked the RSPCA officers there why they werent intervening...."we dont have the power to, we can only tell them to stop but when we do that they just do it even more" so take the horses "we dont have the power to" so why are you here if you're not stopping the cruelty?

gemmagallagher

Visit site
I would contact the BHS they maybe able to do something and since the local council is involved it may be worth speaking to your local MP. Local MP's can be quite helpful.

trundle

Visit site
I would go to the local paper, if at all possible, especially if you have some pictures of how the poor animals looked when they arrived with you.

The RSPCA is definitely not my favourite charity. I would never give them a penny.

taffy2

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, going to tell you a little story.

Something very similar happened near here - with a rescue pony called Taggert. Now I can't remember the whole story - but essentially he was taken to The Society for the Welfare of Horses & Ponies after being rescued by the RSPCA from appalling conditions. For a reason that I am not clear about the RSPCA then decided that the pony could be returned to it's owner. It is no exaggeration to say that this pony was in the most appalling condition, and how a decision could be made to return it is quite unfathomable.

However the SWHP launched a massive 'save Taggert' campaign - and I believe even went so far as to move him to other premises where he could not be found until the outcome of the court case was known. The whole thing became part of a very letigious court case - but the SWHP won the right not to have the pony returned.

So I guess my message to you is - make a huge song and dance about it. Contact your local paper as it is story of interest. Refuse permission for the RSPCA to enter your premises without a court order and fight for them not to be returned.

It is disgraceful!!

P.S I believe you have the right to keep the animals until their livery bill is settled.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Funny this story came up because I was with SWHP when they rescued Tarrget from a field in Wales. I travelled back with him in the trailer because he couldnt even stand up!! We had to get to him 3 times a night because he was so weak he couldnt stand and had to be in a sling. I went to the first court hearing the judge said to the owner that he had to pay court costs and he could have the pony back after the SWHP had got him back on his feet!! The RSCPA officer did nothing to stop this pony from going back. Targget went into hiding and SWHP took it to county court and won the case!! I took him to Monmouth show and got 3rd with him! Tarrget is really well now and enjoying cross country!

£75 is really cheap for the 3 of them RSPCA have got loads of money the only thing they are good for is rescuing cats out of tree's! I would contact the ILPH I dealt with them recently they were better than the RSPCA!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
I would go to all the local papers, especially as the rate you are charging is damn reasonable in the circumstances, HP is not a charity and very busy, yet you agreed to help them out! They are having a laugh and that is precisely why RSPCA have such a bad reputation and I will never give them a penny of mine.

Start a petition and refuse to give them back due to the condition they came to you in! - the whole think stinks and I understand why you are fuming. They should just hand them over, what good is it going to do to hand them back to the owners!

Failing that print this thread out and hand it to them and let them see what an appalling lack of support they have and the reasons why.

The thread above that says about admin and PR costs running high, yes this is totally true and they dont spend their money where it counts, on the animals that need them!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR so much for the new laws!

Andelusional

Visit site
Something seems off here. Have had several ponies from RSPCA for nowt. They are completely bound up in tape of a deep scarlett hue though!
So sad these things are always so dfficult. Try getting the other charities involved? And bhs welfare?

Taboo1968

Visit site
I would, as suggested make a huge song and dance about this and go to the papers..... and if you start a petition.... I bet half of us on here would sign it!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I'm sure some locals would cover the bill if the RSPCA refuse to, and therefore you would keep the ponies wouldn't you? The RSPCA might aswell give them to you to save themselves a bill, or if they're really promising to take them back to the owner please let me know, I could probably take one on.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
QR. That is absolutely diabolical.
Can I ask why only £75?
Even though they are a charity, my time and effort are still worth £100 per horse per week, plus extras.
TBH, I would pursue it through the small claims court, just like any other debt.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Oh Taffy2 how wonderful that you have the connection and can also make sure the little man has the correct name.

Thank you!
smile.gif

Tinypony

Visit site
I would call any charity now before I call the RSPCA. I rescued a lovely cat who had been injured in the road, took him to our local vet, who do the RSPCA cases. I told them that if he could be helped I would have him. Next morning when I rang they told me that he had "deteriorated" and the RSPCA had instructed them to put him to sleep. I wasn't very happy as I hadn't handed him to the RSPCA, I'd handed him to the vet, but thought OK, if he was that bad. Unfortunately, I know someone who works there in the office, and what actually happened was that the RSPCA decided THEY weren't prepared to pay for him to have tests and he should be pts because of that. Coudn't do anything as it would have dropped my friend into trouble, but I sort of felt I'd unknowingly taken this lovely British Blue to his death.
frown.gif

Was watching my neighbour feed her rescued hedgehog last night. She found him in the road with a slice from a strimmer across his nose. She rang the RSPCA, who said they would take him and put him to sleep (without seeing him!). So she kept him and sorted him out herself. He's fine now, just a bit snuffly.

charlie76

Visit site
Still really mad this morning! They are still saying that they are going to give them back. I am sending them a fax with a breakdown in costs stating that the price really should be £136.00 per pony! Instead we are charging them £25 per pony! Bloody cheek!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well hopefully Charlie, you've read all our replies - and feel yourself in a position to take some positive action.

And again, remember - until the bill is settled they can not remove them without a court order.

Good luck.

gnubee

Visit site
Something many people don't know about the RSPCA is that it is not just one charity. There is the main body, which campaigns against hunting, factory farming etc. and trains and provides inspectors. Once an inspector takes an animal, the animal is taken to the local branch, which is an independent charity, and does not recievie money from the national RSPCA. Many of these local branches have difficulty fundraising as people in the area already give to THE RSPCA, and do not understand that none of that money goes to local animals in care.

Local branches also have different policies on putting animals to sleep--for a long time I swore I wouldnt volunteer for them because of some of the young and treatable animals which you see put down through lack of space. My local branch, and an increasingly large number of them promise not to put a homeable animal to sleep, and have paid for treatment of conditions or ongoing medication for animals that even other no-kill shelters I have been involved with would have given up on. Most local branches, mine included, are also run entirely by volunteers--many of whom do it instead of a job, and dont even claim phone or petrol costs--and dont see any of the giant paychecks the director of the charity earns.

With regards to the situation in question, if the horse is in local branch care (we never get horses, so Im not sure if they are handled nationally) then they are likely to be working with a very limited budget, and sometimes sadly you have to accept that even the very reasonable amount you are charging to care for the horses is just not available to them.

Also, as others have said, if the horses have not been signed over, then they still belong to the owners and must be returned if the RSPCA do not intend to pursue the case--either through lack of funds or lack of evidence. If they have been signed over, then it is unlikely the owners will want to take them back. I would try to find out the status of the horses in this regard, as if there is a way for the RSPCA to legally keep them then approaching the local press etc. is a very good idea either to raise the profile of the situation and obtain donations towards their keep, or to perhaps shame the national organization into doing something about it.

harrihjc

Visit site
OMG! Reading that made me so mad! How can they even consider sending them back to the owner?! I would kick up a HUGE fuss!

taffy2

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh Taffy2 how wonderful that you have the connection and can also make sure the little man has the correct name.

Thank you!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I missed spelt his name several times I got so excited that someone else knew the story about Targget that my finger went to fast for the key board!!
smile.gif