Fun colour thread

doriangrey

Visit site
I wouldn't have thought so as the blue colour is the iris not the retina unless its more 'holey' and lets more light in.
This champagne is a dark eyed cream http://www.tnwalk.com/horses/view/131

What I remember from biology (many years ago :D) is that there is no pigment in the iris of blue eyes and it was the colour of the retina (unlike brown eyes for instance) which accounted for the colour, so I had a little google to clarify it to myself and .... it's so much more worse than horse colour genetics! You colour nerds will love it ;) and understand it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Do connies have the champagne gene? A lady near me used to have champagne quarter horses and you really couldn't get them mixed up with creams as the champagnes had really mottled/freckled skin and the pigment is diluted differently to how cream does (single dilutes). I believe that double champagnes have the mottled/freckled skin too. So that plus the dark eyes differentiates them from double creams.

amberchampagnecolt.jpg

classicchampagnestallion.jpg

Of course you can get horses with both champagne and cream.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
What I remember from biology (many years ago :D) is that there is no pigment in the iris of blue eyes and it was the colour of the retina (unlike brown eyes for instance) which accounted for the colour, so I had a little google to clarify it to myself and .... it's so much more worse than horse colour genetics! You colour nerds will love it ;) and understand it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color

I wouldn't say it was the colour of the retina more the reduction of melanin although some is still present and the epithelial layer of cells around the iris reflecting blue wavelength light depending on the lighting conditions there are no blue pigments. As far as I know they aren't any less effective than brown.

I wonder what colour eyes a champagne cream would have, I mentioned it as the one in the link was unusually pale but I would assume that the connemara breed society area incorrectly talking about pale palominos as cream.

On the subject of blue eyes isn't this dude adorable!!!
http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/192342...y-with-two-blue-eyes-for-sale-california.html

doriangrey

Visit site
Do connies have the champagne gene? A lady near me used to have champagne quarter horses and you really couldn't get them mixed up with creams as the champagnes had really mottled/freckled skin and the pigment is diluted differently to how cream does (single dilutes). I believe that double champagnes have the mottled/freckled skin too. So that plus the dark eyes differentiates them from double creams.

amberchampagnecolt.jpg

classicchampagnestallion.jpg

Of course you can get horses with both champagne and cream.

Honestly FC, I don't know. You know/understand much more about colour genetics in horses than I do :) With all due respect to cpbs they are still calling them dun instead of buckskin so .... Interesting what you say about the champagne gene and mottling. Would that affect a grey, or would that just be (normal) pigment loss in a grey?

ETA: I also like blue eyes on a horse or a white sclera ring, and yes Clobells he's lovely.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
C&B there are a few cream champagnes on this link. http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/ecg_basics2.html

You can get double dilutes + grey. I know that it's hard to tell if a double cream has grey by looking at it, so if it has a grey parent a DNA test would be needed, unless you know the grey parent is homozygous. I guess you can also get champagne + grey (I can't see why you couldn't), the fur would grey out and the skin would stay mottled/freckled, just like how a chestnut/grey (for example) keeps it's black skin (bar any white markings which of course have pink skin).

FubsyMog

Visit site
Interesting thread, lots to learn!

I have a question that I think would be fitting to ask here: the other night, I noticed one of the cobs at my RS has eyes that are part brown and part blue - not one eye brown and one eye blue, but the two colours in the one eye. Both eyes had both colours. Said cob is what I would call piebald (tobiano?), mostly white with very little black. He has a black 'medicine hat' and this patch extends partly over the top of the head/eyes. What causes the mixed coloured eyes? And is it common?

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Part blue eyes can be caused by the overo or splash gene, in this country I would suspect that the splash gene is what's causing it, unless he has some US blood, as well as tobiano. Splash is quite common but doesn't always cause blue eyes or partial blues. The black medicine hat is interesting I would love to see a picture, I am less sure about what causes those but I think it is some sort of white suppressor gene.
I was looking for a partial blue pic but couldn't find a good one... this lady has a few examples of just the splash gene in her morgans
http://www.memcmorgans.com/Foals2012.html

Paint me proud ... did you finish your tiles?

Last edited:

FubsyMog

Visit site
Thanks C&B - I had never seen mixed eyes before. I would have taken a picture but didn't have camera or phone on me! His medicine hat continues over the top part of his face - is this a true medicine hat, or does it have to stop at just the ears/poll to be defined as such?

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
My mare doesn't have a loud colour, but while we are on the subject of dilutes... she is a buckskin with a strange dark circle marking on her neck- my only thoughts are that it is an undiluted bit? can that happen? or one of those dark circles chestnuts can get.

Not got many good photos of it, but hopefully you can see from this. I seem to only have photos of her other side !

34278_1468318383588_7901289_n.jpg

happyclappy

Visit site
when the majority of breed standards were written far less was known about the genes, and desired colourings in each breed were written, and piebald/skewbald etc were the extent of colours really, apart from the usual bay/black/roan/dun etc.

thanks for the info about pintabians, i really am aware they are not 100% purebred, not a complaint though. thanks for the posting.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My mare doesn't have a loud colour, but while we are on the subject of dilutes... she is a buckskin with a strange dark circle marking on her neck- my only thoughts are that it is an undiluted bit? can that happen? or one of those dark circles chestnuts can get.

Not got many good photos of it, but hopefully you can see from this. I seem to only have photos of her other side !
Yes, dilutes can get Bend Or spots too, mine had one on her nose.
attachment.php

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
In one of my arabian magazines a mare is mentioned that was a big surprise when she was born as she is a maximum sabino. I'll try to find out her name as it should be easy to find photos of her parents then.

I found her! :) She's called SS Abida. Her dam is grey and you can see that she would have had white face markings before she greyed out (look for the bit of pink skin on her face). Her sire is chestnut and he has a jagged edged sock. SS Abida had some chestnut fur when she was a foal, but I found a video of her as a 2 year old and she had lost it by then.

Sire
349-19-2012-09-11535112.jpg

Dam
1380216_526773777398639_1039400316_n.jpg

With her dam
1017616_478978308844853_1516470711_n.jpg

SS Abida (note the pink skin)
13apr-abida_0984.jpg

Pedigree
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ss+abida

NZJenny

Visit site
He's a kiwi horse. He left quite a lot of roaning as well. Some lines of Arabians threw a lot of chrome - stockings and belly splashes are not uncommon. I also remember seeing an Australian mare Arabian Park Vonetta (I think) who had white spots.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
an interesting read

blue eye colour is called by a 'white' layer of pigment flecked over a 'dark' pigment.
brown eye colour is caused by a 'dark' layer of pigment over the top of the white 'pigment'

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
I found her! :) She's called SS Abida. Her dam is grey and you can see that she would have had white face markings before she greyed out (look for the bit of pink skin on her face). Her sire is chestnut and he has a jagged edged sock. SS Abida had some chestnut fur when she was a foal, but I found a video of her as a 2 year old and she had lost it by then.

Sire
349-19-2012-09-11535112.jpg

Dam
1380216_526773777398639_1039400316_n.jpg

With her dam
1017616_478978308844853_1516470711_n.jpg

SS Abida (note the pink skin)
13apr-abida_0984.jpg

Pedigree
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ss+abida

Wow she's stunning positively ghostly was the chesnut hair lost due to greying out do you think as I have seen pretty max sabinos that retains some colour even if it's just on the ears?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I don't know if she's got grey, it's a possibility. She has several full siblings and I think one is definitely chestnut, so the dam must be heterozygous for grey. None of the others are loud sabinos.