Funniest Riding School pony names...

fallenangel123

Visit site
My great Dane is called Buffy, I named her at six weeks old, turns out she is scared of the dark!!

Weirdest riding school names I've heard are

Mona
Tiggie
Runty. Always looked scrawny
Johnny Fox
Strawberry. Guess the colour
Skewbald. Ditto
Miffy. For a gelding!!

Becksway

Visit site
A black shetland pony called "BIMBO"
I did question it as HE was a gelding and was told originally he had been called a name that used to be used to describe people of a "Negro" origin. i.e Ni**er. It wasnt actually that long ago either, maybe 10/15 years.

caitlineloise

Visit site
Chesnut gelding called ferrari!

Certainly lived up to his name and was my favourite pony.

Always used to canter at jumps when we where meant to be nicely trotting at them, I used to sit there beaming and making him go faster whilst my instructor shouted at me to slow him down, I pretended there was no way to! :D

Who wants to trot over jumps when your a young fearless girl!? :D

chloenruby

New User
Visit site
Rhonda
Afroman
Rihanna
Herbert
Calypso
Blossom - evil little thing
Coby
Emy
Rossy
Marbles-not for his name but a horse that should be mentioned for his character, probably the worst riding school pony ever it bites, it kicks, it tries to roll when youur riding him, he can get his bridle off, he drags you to feed, he can unlock doors, this pony is a genius :p
Gilbert

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
We had some right ones years ago.

Gollywog-wouldn't be allowed nowadays and yes it was shortened....and not to Golly!
Chubby Brown BFC
Bjorn-just because he looked swedish-he was an ISH!!!
Arnold
Statesman...Alan B'Stard-the New Statesman, remember that 'comedy'?
Mercedes-a big fat haffi-more of transit than a sports car
PeeWee-18+of pure power but so gentle he was a shire who was turned out into a herd of shets when he was weaned.
Nochance-as thats what you had of staying on!
Legs-the tiniest shetland you ever met.

Friend has one called Spotty Dave and her new when he/she arrives will be christened Omlette!

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Brocoli! (Why? Just why?)
Dumper (Last owner sold because the horse liked to dump her ;))

And my personal favourite, a pair of ponies, same height and build, but one grey and one black.... Honky and N****r :D

Not sure how that would go down now :eek:

J&C

You just reminded me. We had a black horse come to our riding school who was black. We had to rename him Snigger. :eek: :rolleyes: :p :)

fleabittengrey

Visit site
I think someone has mentionned something similar but quite often you get horses with the same names - so at one point on our yard we had Sally Grey and Sally Bay.

Every riding school should have a Merrylegs and a Ginger (still waiting for the black one!)

Roger, Dave and John all were quickly renamed though, regardless of old wives tales about renaming horses!!

daydreamer

Visit site
fifi - an arab chestnut gelding

fred a grey arab stallion

quickie - a very very slow lazy cob, his name was off putting to all the beginners though!

are two that stick particularly in mind. We also had lots of the usual bubble, squeak, jack etc

madeleine1

Visit site
noddy who always dropped his head

flash the slowest horse ud ever meet

marcella, but seemed silly for a horse

topper

miss dynamite, my horses old show name

spookypony

Visit site
The first RS horse I sat on was also a "Strawberry", but there was also a Crown (very dark pony with nearly white mane and tail). Freckles was obviously a flea-bitten grey. My favourite was a piebald named Stormy, who wasn't.

Hedwards

Visit site
We had Eric which always seemed an odd name for a pony and gip (pig backwards because it looked like a pig and has a backwards kind of disposition - ie required pony club kicking constantly!!)

Kat

Visit site
My favourite was a piebald named Stormy, who wasn't.

It was probably named after the coloured foal in the Misty of Chincoteague books, I think it was the second one that was called "Stormy; Misty's foal" or something. The foal in the book was born during a serious storm that caused people to have to be evacuated from the island.

Flummoxed

Visit site
Keep mine in field by the house wonder if I should rename one Fatso and the other one Oi so I can shout out "oi fatso" (remembering there's a public path behind the field) could be amusing :D

The last RS I went to had a great galumphing 16hh grey cob with a pink face - not the most elegant of types. He had been owned by a gentleman who, when asked his name, said he just called out Oi to him. Oi stuck.

china

Visit site
i learnt to ride on rocket :)
we had a haflinger called hippo! he was the size of a hippo!
pepsi, wing, binkie, eric was my fav! fab little exmoor!

spookypony

Visit site
It was probably named after the coloured foal in the Misty of Chincoteague books, I think it was the second one that was called "Stormy; Misty's foal" or something. The foal in the book was born during a serious storm that caused people to have to be evacuated from the island.

I never considered that! I think I read the Misty books after that...I'm not sure now when I read them, but for some reason that never occurred to me! Maybe because he wasn't a foal anymore! :D

Stormy:

stormy3.jpg

Pipkin

Visit site
Um thinking cap on was a long time ago

Pickle
Ernie
Rabbit
BJ

They now have a

Del boy
Tiny who is not very Tiny, he`s about 17hh :D

Natch

Visit site
We had a "Ribena," so called because she was black and faded to a magnificent purple in the summer! :D

Two nearly identical "twin" cobs called Reggie and Ronnie. They were both ace! :D

Bob the cob - there must be so many of them across the country.

Minty and Polo - the two little grey ponies I learnt to ride on. Aww :)

Passer - the one who was whizzy but safe, who alwasy passed all the other horses in the school :eek:

DC - roumered to be called so because they couldn't decide if he was section D or C!

And doesn't every RS across the land have a Magic, and/or a puzzle? And a shire X called something like "Thumper" for the more sturdy riders! :p

Last edited:

olop

Visit site
At the RS I worked at we had one called "Michael" :eek: Not such a weird name for a human, but not so good for a horse, I used to always laugh when his named was called lol!!