Further to not going according to plan....

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Eek, a lucky escape,and yes, spring is in the air. both of mine spent a bit of time waving front legs around this weekend, fortunately not so dramatically! Hope he behaves himself next time :)

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
And with regards to the negative comments, yes OPs position wasn't ideal, but these things can sometimes come with hardly any warning! And they can take us by surprise. I work with quirky/problem horses and 98% of the time I am 'prepared' but sometimes I just aren't. We are only human, we make mistakes :) Well done OP. hope your confidence is all still in tact!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Sorry to be a party pooper but from a safety perspective I think this needs said. "Well sat"?! Not well sat at all. You are lucky you didn't pull him over on top of you. You were hairs breadth from absolute disaster, I find your photo and the attitudes on this thread rather disturbing. Does no one see the danger here? You look totally out of your depth with a horse whose attitude is to rear like that if stressed. Your arms should have been round his neck, a neck strap is still potentially going to pull him over because your weight would still be pulling back if you had indeed been holding it. Please think carefully about putting yourself in this sort of situation again. Sitting a rear is something an experienced rider will do naturally.

You could have been killed!

Fwiw, I'm FW here too. I find this photo pretty alarming - and the well sat comments baffling.

ihatework

Visit site
I'm sure the OP appreciates that, if anything it's a good photo to show how not to sit a rear. It is verging on a seriously injured horse/rider or both.

But I can 100% see how it has happened.
Sat on a horse with no history of rearing but fully expecting a bronco - you would naturally lean back a little and keep a firm upwards contact. Then caught out with the opposite end!!

OP you are probably regretting posting the photo now! Live & learn

blackhor2e

Visit site
I'm just glad your ok! That looked like it could easily have gone one of two ways for you. If it is any consolation my horse of three years went up on me the other day, totally unexpected, frightened the life out of me and taught me a valuable lesson.

{97702}

Visit site
Too ******* right I am regretting posting the picture, I had forgotten what a large number of perfect riders who never ever make a mistake there are who post on HHO.... I am also completely baffled about those people who seem to think I posted the pic of 'look at me, aren't I clever for sitting this' - where on earth have I said that? I was incredulous I stayed on, that was all and that was what I said (plus being surprised the photographer caught the moment) and I am well aware of how appalling my position is etc etc.

However this mistake will not be repeated, I was hoping to share my excitement and enthusiasm about the progress of my baby loan pony with people who might understand but this experience has reminded me that there are always those who seek every opportunity to put someone else down when they are having fun (or rather not having fun at the time of the photo)

ihatework

Visit site
I wasn't trying to put you down by the way.
But just conscious that lots of young impressionable people read this forum, and despite you knowing its 'not cool' not all teenagers would share those thoughts ...

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Lévrier;12875131 said:
However this mistake will not be repeated, I was hoping to share my excitement and enthusiasm about the progress of my baby loan pony with people who might understand but this experience has reminded me that there are always those who seek every opportunity to put someone else down when they are having fun (or rather not having fun at the time of the photo)

Don't be put off :) I for one would like to hear about his next party. I think we've all been stung at one point or another on here :lol: Shame about the timing of that show btw, I was hoping to take project cob to her first outing there but we were on the way back from bootcamp so it wouldn't have worked out. Maybe see you at the next one! Who knows, perhaps I will be the one putting on a display for all the wrong reasons... ;)

asmp

Visit site
Lévrier;12875131 said:
Too ******* right I am regretting posting the picture, I had forgotten what a large number of perfect riders who never ever make a mistake there are who post on HHO.... I am also completely baffled about those people who seem to think I posted the pic of 'look at me, aren't I clever for sitting this' - where on earth have I said that? I was incredulous I stayed on, that was all and that was what I said (plus being surprised the photographer caught the moment) and I am well aware of how appalling my position is etc etc.

Well said. I'm going to think twice about asking for advice on this forum after getting a couple of nasty comments to a post I made. I know that's the risk of going on a forum but if you can't say anything nice, don't comment!

{97702}

Visit site
Oddly enough it isn't people not saying nice things that bothers me at all - it is the apparent assumptions that people make about the knowledge and understanding of other forum users?

It appears from responses posted on this thread for example that people have assumed I was trying to say "look at me aren't I clever" or "wow look how cool my rearing pony is" when that was very far from the truth indeed.

I posted the pic because I wa incredulous that he had gone up like that - after 25 years of riding I am aware that you can potentially stop a horse rearing by turning it, I am aware that (as IHW pointed out :) ) the picture can be titled "how not to sit to a rear!" but on this occasion he caught me totally by surprise.

Did anyone stop to ask that? Nope, they assumed that they knew so much more than me/were so much better than me/knew my reasons for posting the pic (delete as appropriate) and commented accordingly.

This is very common on this forum, I've seen it hundreds of times over the years I've been on here, but - as with the rear! - it caught me by surprise this time. As my ex Forces ex husband used to say, assumptions are the mothers of all **** ups...

It is nice that at least 1 poster (sorry to single you out IHW) took the time to read what I had written, and say that although the photo was awful/dangerous they could understand how it happened - if only others could have done the same. But that's forums for you, me & Neo will continue having fun (whatever form that takes for him to be comfortable) but I'll not bother sharing it on here

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Aww please don't stop posting! I for one could tell where you were coming from, and have plenty of very unflattering pictures and videos of me riding appallingly! I've also found that no matter how many times within a post you state something, people will still reply pointing it out to you like you hadn't noticed.
Plus if you post less you'll let Shady win the 'reputation' race ;)

x x

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't think anyone thought you were declaring how well you had ridden it OP, that was the responses from other people which you can't really control. Hindsight would have added a lot more caveats to the post ;).

Very pleased you are both ok though as that does seem a bit OTT drama queen for a pony :p.

LauraBR

Visit site
I'm not sure sure the term 'well sat' needs to be taken so literally... I don't think people mean 'that's the perfect example of how to ride xyz nightmare situation' when they say it; more a token comment to say 'I'm glad you didn't fall off'? Maybe that's just me though!? (I definitely would have fallen off, and if I hadn't I would have got off myself before the other two rears!)

I didn't read the OP as glamourising rearing at all though, I kind of read it as a bit tongue in cheek rather than trivialising the situation as others have suggested?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I'm not sure sure the term 'well sat' needs to be taken so literally... I don't think people mean 'that's the perfect example of how to ride xyz nightmare situation' when they say it; more a token comment to say 'I'm glad you didn't fall off'? Maybe that's just me though!? (I definitely would have fallen off, and if I hadn't I would have got off myself before the other two rears!)

I didn't read the OP as glamourising rearing at all though, I kind of read it as a bit tongue in cheek rather than trivialising the situation as others have suggested?

I'm pretty sure it was me who used the "Well sat" comment abs this is exactly what I meant. Sorry Lèvrier, I didn't mean for it to then descend into a discussion about how appalling your riding is :p However, just to be safe, I think you should be handing Neo back to his owner forthwith and you should never go near another equid :wink3:

{97702}

Visit site
I'm pretty sure it was me who used the "Well sat" comment abs this is exactly what I meant. Sorry Lèvrier, I didn't mean for it to then descend into a discussion about how appalling your riding is :p However, just to be safe, I think you should be handing Neo back to his owner forthwith and you should never go near another equid :wink3:

Tis what I did today....

Nah not really, we went out on a 2 1/2 hour hack and he was brilliant :) Perhaps he is destined to be a happy hacker instead :)

forelegs

Visit site
Well sat!
I feel for you, awful when they're just not playing ball.
But further down the line when you're competing successfully every week you can look back at the photo and see how far you've come!

ETA - didn't read the rest of the comments and the 'well sat' debate! Nobody has a perfect position in those moments, and the most important part is staying on! Still think you did bloody well.

Fun Times

Visit site

Thank goodness LauraBR posted this as it saves me the bother of typing it out! Am fairly sure Lev understands the gravity (ha ha) of the situation and has her safety and that of the horse foremost.

Rivendell

Visit site
I'm not sure sure the term 'well sat' needs to be taken so literally... I don't think people mean 'that's the perfect example of how to ride xyz nightmare situation' when they say it; more a token comment to say 'I'm glad you didn't fall off'? Maybe that's just me though!? (I definitely would have fallen off, and if I hadn't I would have got off myself before the other two rears!)?

This is exactly what I meant. I am glad you didn't fall off. That's all.

I think everyone on here has had a rear or a buck or a spook or whatever where they weren't expecting it and so didn't ride through it the way the text book says. My (relatively) bombproof pony reared once - I was taken by surprise and so had my weight thrown back. Surprisingly for some of you I wasn't purposely trying to injure myself or my pony; I was simply stunned and didn't react quick enough. Simple as that. So before getting high and mighty maybe take a step back and think about the situation before commenting. I love these kind of threads as they remind us all that there are good days and bad; we aren't all perfect. Keep up the good work with your little man Levrier!

(PS Lev - I am also an incredibly sarcastic person but have had to rein it in after getting myself into trouble one too many times using sarcasm to the wrong audience!)

{97702}

Visit site
Big thanks to Rivendell and others who have replied, it makes me feel that I'm not going completely mad :)

For me this certainly is not a big vendetta against those who did criticise, it was simply an expression of my frustration at what can (quite often) happen on forums on all sorts of threads.

I count myself very fortunate indeed that both Neo and I came away unhurt from the incident, let's hope out next outing is slightly more mundane :D

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Well said. I'm going to think twice about asking for advice on this forum after getting a couple of nasty comments to a post I made. I know that's the risk of going on a forum but if you can't say anything nice, don't comment!

I feel the same about this asmp- some of the comments on HHF are very judgemental, not sure if I want to continue TBH. You should see some of the comments on the thread re what weight a horse can carry thread, re riders who may be too heavy.

Also I also see people asking for advice, and some of the things that get said :( are rude and bad mannered.

JosieB

Visit site
Well done for staying on however I do agree with those who feel you were very lucky he stayed on his two feet. It is the fact you are hanging on by the reins with all your weight... no doubt from your posts you will be prepared to get forward and hang on to his neck if he does it again. Did you manage to do that for the other two rears as you had warning?

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
BL@@DY 'Ell! Well done for staying on, you were lucky he didn't go over backwards by the looks fo things. :)

Apart from this was it a succes? :)

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
Well done for staying on however I do agree with those who feel you were very lucky he stayed on his two feet. It is the fact you are hanging on by the reins with all your weight... no doubt from your posts you will be prepared to get forward and hang on to his neck if he does it again. Did you manage to do that for the other two rears as you had warning?

read the thread and you will find I have answered this question already.....

{97702}

Visit site
BL@@DY 'Ell! Well done for staying on, you were lucky he didn't go over backwards by the looks fo things. :)

Apart from this was it a succes? :)

Not really - he got himself so worked up that even walking around the show ground (which was all he did) was a bit much when he was away from his friend! We have learned from this of course, and next time he will be travelling alone :)

{97702}

Visit site

Lévrier;12876929 said:
read the thread and you will find I have answered this question already.....

In fact... **head desk** to this one.... I rest my case really....

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Lévrier;12876930 said:
Not really - he got himself so worked up that even walking around the show ground (which was all he did) was a bit much when he was away from his friend! We have learned from this of course, and next time he will be travelling alone :)

Ah well...my instructr would call it character building, lesson learnt and hopefully you can enjoy your next party. :)

{97702}

Visit site
Thanks LRR :) we've had a couple of lovely hacks and a great pole work/tiny jump session since then so I'm really looking forward to our flatwork clinic on Sunday :)