Fussy Horse V's Bute - Help!

3Beasties

Visit site
I've managed to waste 4 sachets of bute today. I thought mixing it into his sugar beet would do the trick but it seems not!

Any suggestions on how to get him to eat it?

BentleyBelly

Visit site
Apple juice works for us but as my pony is a bit of a fatty I didn't want to keep giving him the sugar and swapped the bute for danilon. Works just the same but tastes nicer and is a bit more expensive.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have to make it into a paste for my mare and syringe it like a worker. I have tried every other way I can think of and she just gives me that "somethings in my food" face and leaves it.

pansymouse

Visit site
I made bute sandwiches for my mare - you need a nice open texture bread - sprinkle the bute on it and shake it gently to work it in and then top with golden sryup and slices of apple. She gobbled them up having previously refused it in any sort of feed. If they need it a little sugar rush just has to be over looked

indie999

Visit site
Mine was honey in soaked pony nuts with a bit of dry too. After a couple of weeks he got use to the bitterness . Mind you I had a pure greedy which probablyhelped. He did waste it though at beginning. I think I tried jam too at one stage. Good luck blooming annoying...Why dont they know we are trying to help them!?!

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I use Golden Syrup, the proper stuff. Put into bucket, put a dollop on top and mix in well, you cant smell even a hint of it, add mix/feed and keep mixing until its no longer visible.

Only thing in which i could bute my mare who didnt like things in her feed, even normal supplements. Tried everything i could think of including sandwiches, mollasses, sugarbeet and with syringing she would just spit it all over you no matter how thick the paste, how far you put it in her mouth or if you held her head up. :rolleyes:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Syringe if even sugar beet isn't working! I had to with my fussy cob. Used a wide syringe and mixed it with strawberry yoghurt. Messy!

Sophstar

Visit site
i couldn't deal with the continuous battle of trying to outsmart cob's sense of smell and switched to danilon...feed dusted with turmeric powder and he never knows!

coloured_c0b

Visit site
Another vote for switching to danilon, my boy refused to eat bute n one hiding it away trick would only work once!! Switched to danilon n gone straight away!! With my vets its cheaper than bute so added bonus :) good luck x

lazybee

Visit site
I cut the top off a small apple, put a knife in and scoop out the core, pour in half a sachet, put the top of the apple back in place and give it whole. Then repeat with the other half of the sachet. works for me.

whizzer

Visit site
If mine won't eat it I dissolve in small amount of water,mix in some apple baby food & syringe it in. The baby food makes it sticky so less chance of it being spat out on my head!