Galloping towards people/dogs

Jenko109

Visit site
So I just saw this video and am gobsmacked at the comments of support for the rider.

Last edited:

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Yep she's at fault, should have slowed on reaching the groups of people - as people are saying it could have been a child. Possibly shouldn't even have been going that quick in the first place

Acting like she owned the place and she took priority

She's lucky that horse is a saint, my Welsh D would have either gone left or right, sharply, or slammed to a halt and I'd have got splatted

TheHairyOne

Visit site
My horse once jumped a cat who shot out of some long grass in a field (and honestly I am amazed he did rather than spook and probably deck me), but this looks just rude and dangerous to me. If she had lost control then it was just dangerous.

Its rubbish to have your fast work spots interupted by people (i dont have a beach but forestry) but i would never dream of riding like that.

Spiritedly

Visit site
I've ridden on the beach a lot and I always make a point of slowing down if I am going to be passing close to people whether they have dogs or children or are just walking alone. The post gives me the impression that the rider was showing off to the other beach goers and it very nearly went wrong.

JFTDWS

Visit site
My horse once jumped a cat who shot out of some long grass in a field (and honestly I am amazed he did rather than spook and probably deck me), but this looks just rude and dangerous to me. If she had lost control then it was just dangerous.

Its rubbish to have your fast work spots interupted by people (i dont have a beach but forestry) but i would never dream of riding like that.
Likewise, Fergus once jumped a hare that rose up from the stubble in front of him as we were galloping, but there’s no way in hell I’d gallop toward, and worse through, people and dogs in a situation like this.

I’m not sure you could see a thin extendable lead coming in at that speed either, and that could be really disastrous.

Fieldlife

Visit site
A very dangerous thing for the rider to do. Such behaviour could lead to horses being permanently banned from the beach.
I've ridden on beaches, but only at a slow hand canter and I bitted up in case my horse decided to streak off and become unstoppable.
Galloping on beaches / public places can be safe. But you need to risk assess first, and have control and look out for anyone else in the same space and be prepared to pull up.

I avoid beaches when they are likely to be busy and horses barefoot kids and inflatables not a great mix.

Common sense really.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
The fact she doesn't even look like she's immediately pulling up after is annoying me too! Really annoying me! 😡
From what I have seen on a lot of social media, although I don't know if it applies in this scenario because as you say she doesn't appear to try, it seems kind of normal to not be able to pull up your horse.

I'm reassured by the Insta comments that are mainly people respectfully pointing out that the rider was in the wrong on this one.

Wishfilly

Visit site
From what I have seen on a lot of social media, although I don't know if it applies in this scenario because as you say she doesn't appear to try, it seems kind of normal to not be able to pull up your horse.

I'm reassured by the Insta comments that are mainly people respectfully pointing out that the rider was in the wrong on this one.

IMO, if you can't pull your horse up, you shouldn't be galloping them in public places- fair game on your own land, hired gallops etc where the only person at risk is you, but not in a space where you could endanger others. I get a one off loss of control, but then I think you need to re-establish that in a private place rather than risking it again in future.

meesha

Visit site
Rider should be banned from the beach. She's lucky horse didn't kill dog or spook and throw her which could have been fatal!!

We always walk past people and dogs even if they are a distance away ... we pick our places to canter carefully, only when no-one too close, no loose dogs and we only canter a path already walked in case of soft/sinking sand.

Peglo

Visit site
Madness. And so rude! I will admit to feeling a bit vexed when I see people on the beach when I want a gallop but it has never crossed my mind that galloping would be an option. Might have a small canter at the other end going away from people but that would be it.

I’m not a fan of loose dogs but that one didn’t do anything wrong IMO. Looked like he/she wanted to get out of the way but didn’t know how to.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I'd have been waiting at the horsebox when she got back to have a chat about behaving like a knob and the possible consequences for everyone of doing that.

I see a lot of similar entitled stuff on the road safety facebook group, or did, I left pretty quickly as I was horrified. As someone who has ridden and driven horses on the road I go out of my way to be as considerate as possible.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'd have been waiting at the horsebox when she got back to have a chat about behaving like a knob and the possible consequences for everyone of doing that.

I see a lot of similar entitled stuff on the road safety facebook group, or did, I left pretty quickly as I was horrified. As someone who has ridden and driven horses on the road I go out of my way to be as considerate as possible.

I'd always trot to a lay-by, and always say thank you, if a car arrived, I felt awful the one time I forgot because he was being a k**b

Ive more than once come up behind people who barely acknowledge there's a car, don't then make an effort to get to a safe passing spot, don't have hi Viz on and don't say thank you - I was cross so it must be even more irritating for non horsey people