Galloping, who does it?

coss

Visit site
Does it make a difference what your horse is like, whether you gallop or not?makes a huge difference
Are you scared?depends on the horse, my boy has the tendancy to do the very showy arab gallop with his head to one side whilst galloping in the other direction, quickly switching and stopping with no notice. not to mention the broncing and spooking - i have galloped him but only after a good schooling session and it was much more controllable.. can't get past passage on a hack :rolleyes: the other horse i ride, is far more sensible and i'm not scared at all. Previous horses i've ridden and galloped haven't given me fear either.. just my boy really!
Do you have the opportunity to have a good run? not right now - ground far too wet but when its good i use it.
Do you feel it is important for your horse to have a gallop whilts being ridden once in a while? my boy - it works him up and makes him more on edge, better to do a medium canter and bring him back within 60m than go flat out, less likely to have a stressful fighty spooky session :p the other horse i ride, took her for several gallops as fittening work in the summer and have done a few since just to open the airways and get her more forwards - worked a treat but wouldn't do it regularly
If you don't do it, why not? as above - horse is a nutter for galloping most of the time.. never known a horse to go so fast whilst being behind the leg :rolleyes::confused:

Last edited:

vicksey

Visit site
We love a good gallop! Very lucky to live right by the beach with miles of room to open up. My horse loves it and it keeps us both fit. I have felt scared in the past when he was young and we had breakage and steering issues but generally have a very good relationship these days!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Finding somewhere to gallop is my problem. There is one bridlepath with a nice long slope that can be OK, if there isn't aren't huge ruts, but that really is it. People round here who are eventing tend to join the local cross country course where they can gallop the horses.

MizzPurpleKitten

Visit site
I love a good blast, as does my Big Lad, however I have absolutely no control when we go for it!

I trust him implicitly so the lack of control doesn't bother me overly much but it's a very strange feeling, it scares the life out of me but I love it! It's like sitting on top of a Ferrari being driven round the track by the Stig when Galloping Mr Max!

A gallop doesn't change the way he works or anything but I think all of them deserve a good blowout once in a while....don't we enjoy letting our hair down after all?

My little lad enjoys a good blast too and he's the most ploddy lad you'll ever meet unless he's asked to really go....and he truly can GO but he's the opposite of Max in that he's an absolute angel when it comes to brakes, just a slight squeeze on the reain and he's back with you in an instant.

LeannePip

Visit site
my three year old has just had a month off as i moved away for a little bit and she was just out at grass and i'm home for a week then moving the pair of us to oxford so wanted to enjoy one last lap of the woods at home so went out with my sister for a 'quiet ride' famous last words eh?! planning on a quiet ride we took my YO's 22yo tbxID instead of my sisters fresh 6yo as company! WELL! the 22year old was acting like a fresh off the track 3 yo! my usually placid, likes to stand, canter when asked, walk everywhere on a long rein evenwhen everyone else is pi**ing around PBW turned into a complete speed freak! i could have probably pulled up if i wanted too as she wasn't pulling - but it was far to much fun! whilst breaking her i've been quite stuffy about how much fast work she does due to her age but she was having so much fun and it was so good after a really stressfull few weeks to let it all go and reminded me why i keep horses through the winter!

depending on the horse and what sort of work they do and their temperament probably determines how much galloping they do; our 6yo is being re schooled so we don't 'let her go' that often as it takes us back steps in her training quite quickly shes really hard to focus, but with the eventers im working with they go to the gallops once a week/fortnight for a blast to check their fitness and build stamina so they 'go' more often than the show jumpers who get compleetly wound up and get 'lazy legs'!

Personally i LOVE it but and such a worry wart constantly worrying about tripping!!

Kat

Visit site
Ooohhhhh I've not had a good gallop for ages!

I'd love to really let rip, my youngster hasn't really found top gear yet but we don't really have many places to even canter. Can't wait to take her somwhere for a real blast!

I remember galloping my old share horse who was an ex racer for the first time. Oh My God I really thought I would never stop! Sooooo fast! Real take your breath away stuff.

lovinyourwork

Visit site
have a good blast almost every ride, i like it when the eyes water!! i have some stopping issues but that's just the pony! Its a laugh trying to stop him sometimes and it feels like im riding bullseye from toy story. I think its an important fun experience for them to have, i would hate not to be able to ! my old boy tries and pretty much fails but got to respect the try!

Rose Folly

Visit site
Yes, love a good gallop, but only when I have only myself to consider. My mare pulls like a train - to be blunt I can't stop her, and she's liable to set everyone else's horses alight - she's the Cob Derby Winner!

On another aspect, I was sad to read that StormyMoments is in need of a saddle. I've just given my spare saddle to one of my liveries for her new angular horse, but is there nobody, perhaps nearer Aldershot, who could give/lend something to SM to help her/him out for a bit? Long gone are the days when I used to enjoy a bareback gallop and the post just made me sad.

Chavhorse

Visit site
Does it make a difference what your horse is like, whether you gallop or not?
God yes I need to know we will pull up when I want to!

Do You have the opportunity to have a good run?
Not any more alas! Holland is just not set up for it unless you go down to the beach. But when I was living in Cyprus it was wonderful, 2 kilometer fast gallops up a wide winding mountain track knowing you would slow down as it got steeper! Gave me the chance to let marti get into his full on racing turbo mode:)))))))))

Are you scared?
On Martini (my Cyprus Horse) Never ever merely elated:) he knew as soon as my ass hit the saddle he had to slow down and he always did.

Do you feel it is important for your horse to have a gallop whilts being ridden once in a while?
Yes he was an ex racer and it seemed that just knowing he could have a blast stopped him from any form of jogging and spooking, however I was really strict about if we had a blast day the following day we did the same route in walk and trot.

If you don't do it, why not?
No longer have the space or room to be able to do it, only place in Holland for a flat out gallop is the beach and that is normally rammed with dog walkers, walkers and families.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I only have to start to say "I feel the need for Speed" and me and the little lad are off - he is an ex flat racer and has about 6 gears - my favourite one is when your holding him on the bit and you just let him GO - and he acclerates and then you ask again and he drops lengthens and boy do you grin............ I dont know who loves it more me or him :)

I am grinning my head off now just thinking about - cant wait for some rain so we can go looney up the field again

x

Chavhorse

Visit site
I only have to start to say "I feel the need for Speed" and me and the little lad are off - he is an ex flat racer and has about 6 gears - my favourite one is when your holding him on the bit and you just let him GO - and he acclerates and then you ask again and he drops lengthens and boy do you grin............ I dont know who loves it more me or him :)

I am grinning my head off now just thinking about - cant wait for some rain so we can go looney up the field again

x

Mine was an ex flat racer too and had the multi gearing :)))) best one was gear 6 or "turbo thrust" as we called it when you open your hand and he dropped his backside to the floor and powered off! always used to pull up laughing and high as a kite:)

leah_x

Visit site
Mines an ex racer also, stupidly quick and ridiculously strong but I know how to handle him, I'm always out for a gallop when its appropriate, but he's not stupid about it and knows I'm the only one who will let him, so never messes around with other people on him.
He was a jump racer, so always stick some spread up for him to fly over aswell. As soon as I put my stirrups up ten holes he knows what's happening and it is always fantastic!

Tost

Visit site
I loved galloping on my pony. It was such an amazing feeling letting her just be free and to go as fast as she could without me stopping her. She got so excited doing it as well and for a stocky little cob she was surprisingly fast. It's one of the things I miss most about riding/horse owning.

palomino698

Visit site
Not any more, too worried about the financial implications if I get hurt. The Arab/Welsh mare age 20 leaps sideways at every blasted bird in every hedge (we are overrun with pheasants, partridges and pigeons). I don't like the sideways-leaping thing in canter but I imagine I'm much more likely to hit the deck at gallop. And I'm convinced she'll trip over, or put a foot in a hole, or just collapse (doom-monger). I'm probably too heavy anyway.

I don't think they NEED it, though a horse that gallops regularly will expect it and love it. I used to, long ago when it was all much more fun... sigh... I wish I was braver!

SophieLouBee

Visit site
Really nice to read everyones replies, everyone sounds so happy!

I find it really is like a drug, the more you do, the faster you want to go.

I miss working at the racing yard for that reason, a proper racing fit TB, up the grass gallops, nothing can beat that feeling. I'd rather that, than a fast car!
The feeling from when you are on the bridle, to when you go off it is just immense! They go from being little balls of power to long and low beasts, almost like you are flying.

I've always thought that when you get to a certain speed, everything slows down, and all you can hear is the horses hooves, your heart beating and both your breaths in time with one another, truly magical!

leah_x

Visit site
SophieLouBee - totally agree!
I used to work at a few racing yards - absolutely amazing sprinting them first thing in the morning.
Although we had a racing pony to train at one point and she was quicker than most of our 17hh beasts!! LOL!

PortwayPaddy

Visit site
The Grey Git Loves a good gallop. I'm lucky to be at Eland Lodge and the XC has some great galloping spots and I know that the ground will be right.

Had a couple of real eyewateringly fast runs out with the Hunt last week, just sat deep and enjoyed it.

Paddy

Luci07

Visit site
Not often - but we don't really have the area around to really let rip. Long strong canters are the norm but for gallop work need to go somewhere else. I actually haven't pushed my youngster to gallop on but he did become very ill when we had got to the point of taking him to the gallops to teach him how to move on for XC.

BlueCakes

Visit site
I wish I could go for a gallop.

I used to gallop my previous horse, we had off road hacking and he was fairly unfit and I was a complete novice so I had no fear, though I always had to be aware of dogs and other horses etc. Which meant it was difficult to gallop often, so we only did it a few times, Plus the fields were really small.

My new boy has never gallopped with me under saddle. I have tried a couple of times to really push him but he just canters in his regular rhythm or when he gets excited he just bucks. I would love to try it now hes a bit older but we don't have anywhere to go for a good run, though I am desperately trying to find somewhere. I am thinking about hiring a local cross country venue to have a similar experience. Sometimes, I think they all need a good airing and its nice to go for a little run. x

maxapple

Visit site
The Arab/Welsh mare age 20 leaps sideways at every blasted bird in every hedge (we are overrun with pheasants, partridges and pigeons). I don't like the sideways-leaping thing in canter but I imagine I'm much more likely to hit the deck at gallop.

Oh I have an arab x welsh who does exactly the same so there are very few places where we can gallop! I have however found a huge field going up hill where we can get right in the middle away from things to jump at - and gallop to the top of the hill. I love it!

Only problem is holding him at the bottom until we can get into the middle!!

I also have a TB who is just back in walking work after a serious injury. I hope one day he will be well enough to have a blast again (he is 19 so no sure) - as TB's have that amazing 5th gear. I would love for his loaner to just see how fast he can go - and would love to see her face as he hits turbo speed!!

Rosie1989

Visit site
Yes :D I take my boy to the gallops to let him have a good blow out...we have fast canters in fields but theres never enough room and I always have to pull up before he's got going.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Does it make a difference what your horse is like, whether you gallop or not? Nope, generally if she's full of beans I'd prefer to give her a good long run :D
Are you scared? hell no, she's got to pull up at some point right?
Do you have the opportunity to have a good run?Yup, we're a 20 minutes hack to the beach
Do you feel it is important for your horse to have a gallop whilts being ridden once in a while?Yes, it lets her blow off some steam and she really loves going for a good gallop, as her paddock isn't that big
If you don't do it, why not? I'd hate not going for a gallop

The beach is our best option for a good gallop, but we do have a couple of other spots where I can just let her go :)
I haven't yet found the button for asking for the gallop and if she doesn't want (not too likely) she'll take the huff and if you tell her, she'll give a little buck in protest.

Last edited:

Hippona

Visit site
I love a good gallop- so does my boy- (Arab) - frankly if he doesnt get a good gallop or at least a speedy canter he objects by bucking and jigging so best to let him go really:eek: He never takes off with me and always pulls up nicely though.:) I've found he's easier to manage if we move up into canter from a trot rather than a sudden blast off - thats tooooo exciting and necessitates him throwing various shapes and generally getting over excited and showing off.:rolleyes:

Previous horse (arabX) loved a good gallop- but sadly he also loved a good sudden-stop-and fling-yourself-sideways manouvre which meant I went out the side door on more than one occasion:eek:

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I've always thought that when you get to a certain speed, everything slows down, and all you can hear is the horses hooves, your heart beating and both your breaths in time with one another, truly magical!

Lol.

Nope, when you get to that speed on the highland, all you hear are the little legs absolutely flying and everything whizzes past. Bless her, she's so funny.

Last gallop we had I nearly hit so many trees. Raining, out for a pleasure ride, no gloves and couldn't keep a hold of reins. The 2 ponies I was with took off (one NF, one cob x, one highland) and the other two took off, Til went as well and they rounded a corner in the woods - steep incline - , I had to fight to get pony to also go around corner rather than charging through trees as she wanted to do :D

2 hours of madness of one pony taking off, all of us taking off, none of us in control and all of us laughing like mad! TBH, I really needed it as my grandad had died 2 days earlier and it really took my mind off of everything.

onebigjump

Visit site
I used to love a good gallop but since losing my confidence i haven't done it for a while :-(
Hopefully when I get my confidence back I can go for a good blast!! I have a tb now so it should be fun :)

Mince Pie

Visit site
Another "hell YES!" here :D my cob loves a good blast and gets quite on his toes after which is great for schooling as he actually moves ;) lol
Unfortunately haven't had the chance to take my ex racer out - I bet she can fly and a TB at warp speed has got to be the best adrenaline rush ever!
I miss working in racing yards too :(

jsr

Visit site
Ohhh yeah!!!! My little cob loves to go flat out! I'm really lucky to have access to acres of fields and some amazing flat long beaches to let rip on!! He's spooky as hell usually but when we get going he's perfect!! We might not win any speed races but he goes for miles and absolutely loves it! He's a properly little speed freak..which suits me fine cos so am I!! He's so much fun and I wouldn't swap my little man for anything. :D