Gaps in the Equine product and service market

TPO

Visit site
My biggest challenge is hay soaking due to my dodgy back. My horse has a large haynet which I soak in a plastic half barrel. The problem is pulling the wet hay out of the water and hanging it up to drain. I then have to tip the container over to empty it. I've often thought that I need a container with a plug that is accessible whilst the hay is in it and a grid or similar at the bottom so that I can just take the plug out and leave the hay in the container to drain.

I could split the hay into smaller nets but that's just more faffing around filling nets. The alternative is to use haylage but I find small bales expensive. Livery yard does not allow large bales and I wouldn't use it before it went off.

Haycube ;)

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Have you looked at the Harmony Trickle Feeder? I don't think it would work in a field but for stable use it looks as though it would help with trampled hay.

Just love this forum - never hear of the Harmony Trickle Feeder - has anyone on here got one?
Really like the look of them although expensive & the recent research about feeding times etc on their facebook page looks very interesting.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
My biggest challenge is hay soaking due to my dodgy back. My horse has a large haynet which I soak in a plastic half barrel. The problem is pulling the wet hay out of the water and hanging it up to drain. I then have to tip the container over to empty it. I've often thought that I need a container with a plug that is accessible whilst the hay is in it and a grid or similar at the bottom so that I can just take the plug out and leave the hay in the container to drain.

I could split the hay into smaller nets but that's just more faffing around filling nets. The alternative is to use haylage but I find small bales expensive. Livery yard does not allow large bales and I wouldn't use it before it went off.

Pulley system above a bath. Pull plug, lift hay to drain very easily. I think this was an advantage of stabling where one of the YOs was a keen sailor, a few nifty pulley systems!

Landcruiser

Visit site
Extreme trail courses, with a variety of obstacles that riders can use to train their horses for all sorts of situations - crossing water, opening gates, crossing different surfaces, banks, gaps to squeeze through, narrow bridges, flagss- there are boundless possibilities for fun and learning. You could have a section with "scary" objects like a tractor, bicycle, caravan, whatever, all in a safe environment with supportive instructors on hand to help. If I had suitable land, that's exactly what I would do with it.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Extreme trail courses, with a variety of obstacles that riders can use to train their horses for all sorts of situations - crossing water, opening gates, crossing different surfaces, banks, gaps to squeeze through, narrow bridges, flagss- there are boundless possibilities for fun and learning. You could have a section with "scary" objects like a tractor, bicycle, caravan, whatever, all in a safe environment with supportive instructors on hand to help. If I had suitable land, that's exactly what I would do with it.

I regularly ride over a couple of bridges over railway lines, and another ride takes us through a quite low and narrow tunnel under a dual carriageway... Might be hard to simulate those conditions, though.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I regularly ride over a couple of bridges over railway lines, and another ride takes us through a quite low and narrow tunnel under a dual carriageway... Might be hard to simulate those conditions, though.

Well if you can do indoor waterfalls ;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sealine

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies re: my hay soaking issue. I wasn't aware of the haycube but I don't need to wheel it around or feed from it. I'll discuss your improvised solutions with my husband and see what we can come up with.

EquineEEF

Visit site
That is a really really interesting idea. Brilliant idea actually because it really would be amazing to be able to simulate a road situation, but in a safe environment! thanks

EquineEEF

Visit site
Someone earlier in this thread wrote about a floor feeder for the field, has anyone come across one as I would actually really benefit from one of these? Thanks

npage123

Visit site
Well if you can do indoor waterfalls ;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Oh gosh, LOVE that horse, and almost just as much the riding on a looong rein.
I'm sure all the sure-footed Welsh horses at TransWales Trials would be able to complete that course too (not my Oldie, a TB, though).

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Brushing/tendon/fetlock/over reach boots for cobs? "Cob" size don't reach all the way around & "full" size are then too long! Woof apparently do them but always unavailable online & not in stock.

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
I'll be honest there is almost TOO much product/service on the market in my opinion. Loads of things being done to horses by unregulated quasi-professionals (essential oils? thermography done by someone who took a 2 day course?) and there's a product to cure EVERY ailment. marketers LOVE horse people who love to buy solutions to their problems rather than doing research/critical thinking or *gasp* altering their own behaviors to address an issue.

As a professional marketer in another industry, there's a lot of marketing, very little differentiation between products, and not a lot of folks are actually educating the customer.

windand rain

Visit site
A bucket my yearling cannot get her feet in or kick over. Tyres are too shallow, boxes too deep and square so need something I can put her rubber feed trug in hat is deep enough to stop her digging the food out onto the floor and safe enough so she just puts her head in. This has to work in the field as they live out 24/7. She wastes far more food than she eats