Gates out hacking

Arzada

Visit site
Spoke to people at the yard, on a particular ride there are 5 of these big gates all within 2 minutes of each other and you have to get off at each one, they cannot be open by horseback
Or get off at the first one, walk for 10 minutes and remount after closing the 5th gate. Perhaps the landowner would permit a simple mounting stand ie a plank secured to the top of 2 ground posts near the first and last gates

Reacher

Visit site
That is true but gates that work for a farmer ok might not be so easy for a rider and on the whole farmers/landowners will deal with other things first. Some landowners also don't see why riders can't get off their horse - I get it but a lot of landowners don't.
There are gates on bridlepaths near me that are resting on the floor and you have to get off to drag open. An older person /someone less physically able would also have difficulties opening them.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I really lucked out with the last mare I broke in. I realised after her first walk around the small area I mounted in that I needed to go through a gate to be able to actually ride her. We walked up to the gate and I opened it, went through and closed it absolutely perfect. Many a well schooled horse could not have done as well.

Tarragon

Visit site
There seems to be two problems here though; one opening the gate mounted and the other, remounting.
If it is a gate that has to be opened from the ground, then you will have to surmount the getting back on problem.
If it is a gate opening while mounted problem, then probably just more practise needed.
Could you leave a handy natural mounting block at the trickier gates? Like a upturned log or a stone?

Mule

Visit site
Put makeshift mounting blocks near the gates. Like crates, stepladders etc,
Gates are a pita.

palo1

Visit site
There are gates on bridlepaths near me that are resting on the floor and you have to get off to drag open. An older person /someone less physically able would also have difficulties opening them.

I know how blooming awkward those sorts of gates are! I do belong to a bridleways/access group so understand both points of view; the farmer/gate owner and those who need and have right to access. I still think that actually it is really important for safety reasons to be able to get on and off your horse. Gates can be a right pain and it is much nicer when they are manageable from the saddle but still...

Kat

Visit site
With lots of practice most reasonably maintained gates can be done mounted. I carry a long stick to help.

Tying a loop of bailer twine to the gate can be helpful and doesn't damage the gate and won't get nicked.

If a gate is really tricky and on a public right of way report it to the council they can get them replaced, especially if they are so bad as to be problematic for people on foot too.

I avoid getting off at all costs. I can get on from the ground but I hate doing it. I can do most gates mounted providing they don't drag on the ground. It might take me a few goes but we can normally manage or a friendly passer by will help out!

I take a cyclist with me if the gates are likely to be tricky! Alternatively make friends with a pony rider!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We had a similar thing at one place I rode we eventually took a piece of log down to the gate so we could use it to get on, a farmer took it down there for us might be worth asking whoever has land local to the gates.