Gawsworth Track Livery

Charlie31

Visit site
Has anybody got any experience of this place? I've been following them on FB and think they look really good, and it's really good that they're promoting what they're doing too. They're very close to where I grew up but sadly too far away from where I live now. I might well consider them as a retirement option in the future though.

I wish more things like this would open up across the country. I'd be there like a shot if there was something similar near me, as would a load of my friends.

scats

Visit site
A friend of mine has a pony there at the moment. I wish I’d known about this last year as I probably would have sent the Diva there as a last ditch attempt to get control of the dire situation we were in.

Reactions: DD

Charlie31

Visit site
So far as I can tell they have no grazing at all and feed their own low sugar hay at stations around the track. So it would be suitable for laminitics and I believe they do have some there. I think they take all sorts of rehabs in besides laminitics though and also do general barefoot livery.

Rosemary28

Visit site
It's round the corner (ish) from where I keep my pony, but I'll be honest I don't know much about them. It looks great and would be a good option for P, except he would beat all the other horses up because he is a hooligan, and I'd rather have him where I can keep an eye on him! I am following them with great interest though.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Looks great from what I see & I've been following a while. Nothing like it around by me or I'd definitely be looking into it as an option as I find it so difficult managing my welshie - I live in constant worry.

chaps89

Visit site
It's nowhere near me (we have one near-ish to me called Abbott's View which seems similar)
If I could manage to get mine successfully barefoot she would be there!
In my experience, livery yards just don't really understand metabolic issues (and how much more severe it is than just a good doer/something with a tendency to be tubby) and it's such a shame, but equally they are incredibly difficult to manage and I get why the average yard can't cater for them.
I won't ever have a good doer again though, it is just too hard to manage on the average livery yard in my experience.

pixie

Visit site
I follow them too, they look great :)
I've just set up a little grass track on my yard, just experimenting with my pony at the moment. I'm hoping to incorporate the livery horses into it at some point in the future. We are only tenants, with just a few liveries, so don't want to spend too much money yet.

MissTyc

Visit site
I run a small track in winter for a few horses that just have to keep moving and can't cope with the standing about eating hay side of winter but also don't stable. If I could afford it, I'd have km of grassless tracks joining grass areas ("bubbles" I call them on my track) ... I think it's a fantastic way of keeping horses happy and healthy. Mine can have grass so that does make it easier (and cheaper!) but it's still a lot of work.

Boulty

Visit site
I went for a visit last year when I was considering any & all options however daft (I live in West Yorks to give this some context). I liked their setup & I think they've made more improvements since I went for my nosey & struck me as people genuinely trying to make the lives of all the horses in their care as good as they could possibly be. The distance & not being quite ready to give up & officially retire the horse ended up being the reasons for not sending him there (Instead he ended up somewhere a mere 40 miles away from where I live & sadly he did end up being PTS in the end. The outcome would have eventually been the same had he gone there as he had issues with his poll, jaw, neck & back that were getting worse & unfixable in addition to cushings, liver disease, laminitis & history of ulcers)

I like that they are getting an equivalent amount of space to move about in of a decent sized field & that they can split off into little groups & do their own thing as well as obviously having the lovely surfaces to condition their feet. Only thing I'm a bit hmmm about is the nosebags for feeding. I can see why it works better than buckets trying to feed that many horses but the horse I used to have would have hated it

Pippity

Visit site
An acquaintance of mine retired her horse there after being told he'd never come sound enough to be ridden again. After a couple of years on their system, he's completely sound and happily back in work. It's possible he'd have come sound after a few years turned away anywhere, but he was vastly overweight and their system got the pounds off without stressing him out.

MrsGTL

Visit site
We have finally made it🤩🤩

There’s a thread about us on the horse and hound forum 🙈

To be honest it’s all lovely stuff and very supportive apart from a couple of people are put off by the nose bags.

Let me reassure you that if any horse objected to the nose bag feeds we 100% wouldn’t force it, we’d bring them out and feed them from a bucket.

We are yet to come across a horse that doesn’t LOVE their nose bag feeds, the all nicker and get excited when they see them coming, I barely have time to fasten the strap as their heads are straight in it!

We also find they eat all of their feeds with no wastage and it’s easier to get meds and supplements into them.

It has eliminated any squabbles around feed time and doesn’t upset anyone as they are not being taken away from their friends.

These are the nose bags we use and the only ones I can find in the UK

http://cotswoldsport.co.uk/shop/ind...ducts_id=629&zenid=1sgj78s2n4227ucrtp7jf3edb4

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I pass through Gawsworth regularly. If anyone has to send a horse there and is too far away to visit to check the horse I'd be happy to help. Not for a moment that there is any suggestion that GTL need checking up on, they don't from what I know of them. Just a belt and braces peace of mind.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
My boy had a three month holiday there last year and I don’t have a bad word to say about it, it’s a fab place and I wouldn’t hesitate to send him back!

Archie says hi, you’re famous now Beth! 🤣

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Here’s a pic of the nose bag you use, taken from the website you provided.

6AA253F6-5774-4835-9B30-FCC915B7FEBD.jpeg

Interesting idea, but not something I would ever choose for one of my horses to wear. Unhygienic, and potentially dangerous. I note that you are prepared bring a horse out to feed it individually, though.

MrsGTL

Visit site
Here’s a pic of the nose bag you use, taken from the website you provided.

View attachment 36454

Interesting idea, but not something I would ever choose for one of my horses to wear. Unhygienic, and potentially dangerous. I note that you are prepared bring a horse out to feed it individually, though.
Ahh yes that’s the one, I couldn’t figure out how to upload it.

Thanks for your concern, our horses do great with them 👌🏻👍🏻

ameeyal

Visit site
I don't know Beth or dan, but Beth was on some Facebook sites I am on and she is very passionate about her work on her track livery, she is to passionate at times as she can get upset with people that don't "get it". They both do great work for their liverys, and go above and beyond for the horses in their care. There track is only about 8 miles from my farm, I keep my horses on a track at my farm, and would have loved to also set one up for other people only I just love being on my own to much😕.

MrsGTL

Visit site
I don't know Beth or dan, but Beth was on some Facebook sites I am on and she is very passionate about her work on her track livery, she is to passionate at times as she can get upset with people that don't "get it". They both do great work for their liverys, and go above and beyond for the horses in their care. There track is only about 8 miles from my farm, I keep my horses on a track at my farm, and would have loved to also set one up for other people only I just love being on my own to much😕.
Indeed I do 🙈👍🏻