Gelderlanders (Gelders Paard) a rare but versatile breed.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
There's bloody loads of them where I am.

Although I am in the right country and my boyfriend comes from Gelderland.

;)

I should hope there are! The Dutch recently, a few years ago I think, had a year of the Gelders Paard because they are getting rare. They are also the Dutch royal family's horse aren't they? I just love them for their nature, versatility and of course their stunning good looks!
FDC

Sheep

Visit site
They are lovely, agreed.

I saw my dream horse in a field somewhere in Gelderland, whether or not he was actually a Gelderlander.. ;) anyway, it was just a horse in a field, but it was absolutely stunning and had fabulous, athletic movement.. sigh..

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
They are lovely, agreed.

I saw my dream horse in a field somewhere in Gelderland, whether or not he was actually a Gelderlander.. ;) anyway, it was just a horse in a field, but it was absolutely stunning and had fabulous, athletic movement.. sigh..

Of course it was ;) They are stunning, full of presence and move like a dream although it takes some getting used to the huge movement.:eek::)
FDC

Sheep

Visit site
Hehe. Unfortunately I was on my bike so I couldn't stop to have a chat with him and his mate. Beautiful though. Maybe I should head back there and leave a note to tell whoever owns him, that I want him!

welsh_monster

Visit site
We have 2 of them where I work. We've had 1 of them for about 15 years now so obviously he's getting on a bit now. The other was only bought because the bloke that owns the 2nd used to ride ours all the time and insisted that's what he had to buy! He's been there about 5 years now. Fantastic horses, just a tad bouncy!!!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I like! A lot :D

FDC, why are they becoming so rare? A stunning looking horse that moves so well?

I think that they are often seen as just driving horses, my lad is ex-professional CDE so was a driving comp horse. But they are very versatile and have excelled at dressage and SJ. Representing their country in both disciplines, as well as CDE and other driving.

The movement can be an issue, it really is huge and extremely extravagant but once you get used to it it is fine. They really are full of presence and personality, but are often overshadowed by the DWB. Another issue some people don't like is that they tend to be extremely intelligent horses who don't suffer fool gladly. I like a quirky horse but they are not really push button.
FDC

Last edited:

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
love the videos didn't realise they were no athletic.
I think the chesnut in my sig has gelderlander in her what do you think?

I can't really see her, have you any piccys? I think many people don't realise how athletic they can be. But if you think they are the main founding breed of the DWB, which are extremely versatile then I suppose it makes sense.

Some piccys of my boy
SANY1043.jpg

winter2009-2010044-1.jpg

winter2009-2010074.jpg

winter2009-2010075.jpg

FDC

Last edited:

Oberon

Visit site
So, Fany Du Champ - I know we agree on the Ardennes and other than looking stunning, I know very little of Gelderlanders.

Give me your pitch....educate me about them.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
So, Fany Du Champ - I know we agree on the Ardennes and other than looking stunning, I know very little of Gelderlanders.

Give me your pitch....educate me about them.

Okay, they were first "invented"(for want
of a better word) in Holland, Gelderland to be precise. They were used for light farm work during the week, to take farmer's son riding on Saturdays and to pull the carriage to church on Sunday. They have Andalusian, Neapolitan, Norman, Norfolk Roadster, and Holstein blood in them. Originally bred to be a stylish carriage horse versatile enough to work on the farm, the Gelderlander declined in popularity in the middle of the 20th century. Today the breed is registered in a separate studbook of the Royal Warmblood Horse Studbook of the Netherlands (KWPN).They are the royal Dutch family's horse, bit like the CB for our royal family. They were becoming too much like the DWB at one point because the KWPN was allowing non- full breds into the stud book. The KWPN was given its royal status because of the Gelders Paard eg. Royal Warmblood Studbook of the Netherlands- which is what KWPN stands for. When the Gelders paard breeders complained and threatened to leave the stud book, the parliament in Holland said the "royal" went with them, so now the Gelders paard is protected with very strict rules and there is also a harness horse part of the stud book for mixed breeds.

Nicked from internet.
Gelderlanders are typically chestnut, but may be bay, black, or gray. They often have a great deal of white markings on the legs and face in the sabino pattern, and there are a handful of tobianos as well. Their heads are long and flat with a straight or convex profile and the neck is well shaped and muscular with an arch. Their withers are prominent and broad, and their backs are relatively long but running smoothly into a level croup. The tail is usually set high, the chest is full and deep, the shoulder long and sloped, and the legs are muscular with long forearms and strong, broad joints. Hooves are usually broad and strong. This breed of horse usually stands at 16.2-17-3 hands high at the withers. Gelderlanders tend to have high-stepping action, particularly at the trot.

Gelderlanders are well-suited to combined driving.
The Gelderlander today is promoted as a versatile, family-friendly horse. The breed is a dominant force in the sport of combined driving, for which they are well-suited. However, many Gelderlanders - and especially their progeny - have competed in dressage and show jumping at the international level. An early top jumper was Gondelier, the 1972 Dutch Jumping Champion, who cleared 2.20 meters (about 7'3"). One of the top Gelderlander dressage horses was Zooloog, a Gondelier son, who was also sold to the United States, the flag of which he represented at the 1991 Pan American Games. One of the greatest qualities of the Gelderlander is their longevity and soundness. For example, Vosmaer, a Gelderlander stallion, was still competing in Grand Prix dressage at age 20.

Hope it is true about longevity 'cos my lad is someone really special and he is approaching 18yo.

Hope that tell you a little more Oberon, they are a lovely versatile breed with a lot of character, intelligent with a good work ethic, they learn quickly and never forget. But, and it is a big but, they do not tolerate fools or being bossed. If you can put up with a few arguments and having to show respect to get it and if you can find one, I would certainly recommend them. I love my quirky boy to pieces. Zooloog is in my lad's pedigree as is Gondelier

FDC

Last edited:

Fauvea

Visit site
My mare is a harness bred KWPN and she has a lot of Gelderlander blood. I did not know they were a separate breed. Her trot was very uncomfortable but we have worked a lot on her working properly through her back and now she's like an armchair; except each time something startles her it's head up, hollow back and high stepping trot again.

Here are some pics of her:

22b27f37.jpg

17ccb0d7.jpg

b031e7f6.jpg

bb7b27ee.jpg

IMGP3427.jpg

and her sire:
knzciphvjspwlscn.jpg

Do all purebred Gelderlanders have feathers?

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
My mare is a harness bred KWPN and she has a lot of Gelderlander blood. I did not know they were a separate breed. Her trot was very uncomfortable but we have worked a lot on her working properly through her back and now she's like an armchair; except each time something startles her it's head up, hollow back and high stepping trot again.

Here are some pics of her:

22b27f37.jpg

17ccb0d7.jpg

b031e7f6.jpg

bb7b27ee.jpg

IMGP3427.jpg

and her sire:
knzciphvjspwlscn.jpg

Do all purebred Gelderlanders have feathers?

She is lovely, she has a very Gelderlander head, what is she called? Her sire is lovely too. All the Gelderlanders I know do have feather, they get it from the Friesain (sp) in them I think or maybe the Andulsian?
They have a separate part of the stud book for harness horses because they were diluting the Gelderlanders with too much Hackney blood. Now a Gelderlander must not have Hackney within 4 generations, I think. But the harness horses can have it.

Fauvea

Visit site
She is lovely, she has a very Gelderlander head, what is she called? Her sire is lovely too. All the Gelderlanders I know do have feather, they get it from the Friesain (sp) in them I think or maybe the Andulsian?
They have a separate part of the stud book for harness horses because they were diluting the Gelderlanders with too much Hackney blood. Now a Gelderlander must not have Hackney within 4 generations, I think. But the harness horses can have it.

Her name is Velvet, she hasn't got much hackney (not in the last 4 generations) but her sire is half american saddlebred. She has Proloog top and bottom, could he be related to Zooloog?

Edited to add: Does you boy like to jump? Because mine is terrified of poles in general.

Last edited:

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Fauvea- he loves jumping, his favourite thing. Not that he is much good, but he gets very excited when his tendon boots are put on as he knows he will be jumping, he piaffes all the way to the school. Unfortunately I can't jump him because of an old injury and Elizabeth, my daughter, is firmly in the dressage camp and hates jumping. so mostly he free jumps.

Is Velvet intelligent? Cappy is extremely intelligent and all the others I have met have been too.

FDC

Grumpy Jewel

Visit site
We used tohave a grey at our old yard and he was like a gazelle! He would jump whatever you pit I'n front of him and loved it. He would get so excited his canter would be so wound up he often used to get striding wrong, but never knocked anything down, he was definatly the most agile 16.3 I have come across. His owner rode him fantastically.

Maggie2009

Visit site
Our lad has Gelderlander from his Dutch Courage blood lines (grandsire).People often remark how much Gelderlander prescence Stan has.Lovely temprements too,and very versatile.