Gelding preferred but would consider a mare

The Trooper

Visit site
Hey guys,

I see the above alot, it seems that alot of people far prefer geldings to mares. That's the general consensus at the yard I'm on too (Based on numbers of each).

What's the reason for this? What is so off putting about a mare vs a gelding?

I see mares to be more appealing, one of the reasons is that if she happens to be an absolutely cracking horse I have the option of taking a foal off her and preserving the blood line, with geldings, for the most part they are the end of their specific blood line.

I'm interested in your opinions and thoughts.

Thanks!

SpringArising

Visit site
A lot of people associate mares with being hormonal and moody - which they can be. Saying that, the two sweetest horses I've ever had were both mares.

I can't stand the phrase; for some reason it really grates on me!

conniegirl

Visit site
geldings don't come into season. Some mares become absolute cows when in season. I have met several who became downright dangerous when in season

I've also found that geldings tend to be less opinionated and stroppy over all which makes them easier to work with.

I personally would far rather a gelding or stallion over a mare

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would never breed anyway, so no need for breeding potential. I would have preferred a gelding, but have ended up with a mare. Having said that the only way, so far, I have known she is in season is a splashed tail, and I have had her a year now.

As a female I can tell you that there are certainly disadvantages to having varying hormone levels. One of my previous horses was a cow when in season, made it pretty inconvenient if she happened to be in season when I needed her to do her best for competition.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I love mares, but I do think it pays to remember that they are entire and know their own minds.

Some people can really butt heads with mares and not everyone enjoys the kind of relationship that you have with them. i think it's wise that those people seek out geldings because "my way or the highway" kind of tactics can really backfire with them ;)

Of course there are mares and *mares*
I have a mixture of both kinds! I also know a couple of very marish geldings so no guarantees either way :p

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
So personally I would put this on an advert if I was looking for a new horse. This is solely because my elderly retired gelding turns into the horse from hell if a mare is around! He loves the mare and beats seven shades out of everything else! (Even though usually they can steal his feed and push him round!)
If I had no other horses I’d not mind a mare

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I wouldn't consider a mare when looking - personal preference. I've had too many experiences with stroppy hormonal ones myself & also seen friends struggle & have to put them on supplements etc. I can count on one hand the ones I've dealt with that I've liked & been nice to ride - therefore I know they're out there, but a rare find, so wouldn't risk it.

GG13

Visit site
I’m actually the opposite. I prefer mares, though my last few new purchases have happened to be geldings.

I think people prefer geldings as you don’t have to deal with seasons/mood swings.

I may just have been lucky but I’ve not yet worked/ridden with a mare that was impossibly moody

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Mares all the way for me. I had a mare for 30 years, then when she went I got a gelding. When he retired at 8 I got another mare and will only get mares for me to ride from now on. All the best horses I remember in my past have been mares. I love Cam dearly and he is gentle and kind, but not the sharpest tool in the toolbox. I enjoy the discussion aspect of the relationship with mares. Out of my mini herd of 3 geldings and 1 mare, it's one of the geldings that is the biggest drama llama of all (ETA - he was gelded at 7 so that could explain it!). :) x

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I always look for geldings-I have a gelding thats with me for life and from experience of friends etc with mixed herds, there's generally less seperation anxiety between geldings than between mares and geldings and geldings play together more. I know others have other experiences but hey ho :) I know some adorable mares just probably wouldnt want one. And if they are 'moody' and 'difficult' well they're entire arent they, noone would question it if it were a stallion (and have known plenty of very well mannered stallions too but personally wouldnt want one out with my geldings).

Hallo2012

Visit site
personally i just dont click with mares, but actually prefer stallions and despite both being entire i find them very different to interact with.

mares i find hold a bit of a grudge and obviously have seasons which can affect their work where as the boys tend not to get offended for little/no reason and tend be the same degree of butthead all month!!!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I think its often due to turnout concerns. Mixed herds can have issues and adding new mares to mare-only herds can also be pretty traumatic initially. Geldings usually turnout with each other with much less drama IME.

When I was looking for my daughter's pony I preferred a gelding for that reason, I already have a gelding and he gets clingy if turned out with a mare but is fine with another gelding.

Nasicus

Visit site
I can understand it when people put 'geldings only' on their ads, but not 'gelding preferred but would consider a mare'. So you haven't completely ruled out a mare, then?

I love mares (most of the time).
I always took it to mean 'If it's a mare it better be 100% perfect in every way, if it's a gelding I'm willing to compromise a bit.'

Personally, always said I didn't want mares, wanted geldings. Ended up with two mares :oops:

Ceifer

Visit site
It’s only my opinion but I find mares to be either absolutely amazing horses or a lifetime or absolute cowbags.
My first mare was so talented but a complete Jekyll and Hyde character. Her old owner has her ovaries removed for behavioural reasons but it didn’t make a difference. She wasn’t loveable and although I hate the term she was a machine. If you wanted to go out and win, she was your horse. Although she may deck you if she was having a bad day.
I have a mare now who I absolutely adore. She’s the nicest most genuine horse you’ll ever meet.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have always got on better with mares, i am pretty quiet and like that mares are sensitive, i find geldings are, on the whole, not so bright as a mare. as mares are entire i think they should be treated with as much respect as a stallion. when a stallion is playing up everyone makes the excuse the fact that he is a stallion but if a mare she is called a cow or difficult, or moody, and people dont seem to have the patience to treat them differently to a gelding....

Antw23uk

Visit site
I was adamant I'd never own a mare as an adult. I had a horrendous experience with a loan mare when i came back to horses after a long break and she ruined my confidence and was vile beyond vile! I dont tend to pet other peoples horses anyway but if i know its a mare i just say hi from a distance until she wants to say hello herself. I have a gelding, he is super but he is fickle and loves you if you have food but he is easy and i can tell him what to do without being questioned.

Two years ago Spottyappy on here talked me into taking on a mare she had as a light hack/ companion. It took ages to convince me and it was not the easiest starts as i was more a 'my way or the high way' type of handler BUT I changed from telling to asking and we had this lightbulb moment after a few months and honestly she is the best horse EVER. She loves me and would do anything for me, its a genuine love we have for each other and she makes me smile everyday (they both make me smile everyday but she really pulls my heart strings) MY mare is AWESOME and i have a new found respect for other mares so always give them the space they need when i first meet them. The light hack/ companion has turned into a complete sports machine who says no to nothing!! I adore her :)

The Trooper

Visit site
I sort of like the hormonalness of my girls, and the spark, personality and sassyness they have. Don't get me wrong they aren't psychotic when in season but can be a little moody.

I personally feel I click better with females than I do males. My dog is a bitch, my two horses are mares - Is it possible that me being a male changes the way my mares are with me? One of them takes the complete mick out of my mother but is an angel for me, my Mum rides, feeds, brushes etc her alot more than I do, she almost loans her from me.

When I was looking for a horse last year the criteria was 12 or under and a mare. I would never have considered a gelding.

I don't know if its placebo but i honestly feel I can't connect to geldings, my dad has one that i have a lot to do with but we just don't click.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I've always opted for geldings, but my last purchase was a mare.

Suffice to say she despises me, and makes her thoughts clear.

In fact I think she despises everyone, so I don't take it personally.

My Gelding is 100% more stubborn than she is, and the saying on the yard is that he is a gelding, that thinks he's a stallion but gets worse mood swings than a mare.

He doesn't hate me though, and is quite cuddly and willing to please.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I've always opted for geldings, but my last purchase was a mare.

Suffice to say she despises me, and makes her thoughts clear.

In fact I think she despises everyone, so I don't take it personally.

My Gelding is 100% more stubborn than she is, and the saying on the yard is that he is a gelding, that thinks he's a stallion but gets worse mood swings than a mare.

He doesn't hate me though, and is quite cuddly and willing to please.

thats interesting, how do you know she hates you and everyone, maybe people are not treating her in the right way..i always feel sorry for mares who are labelled as difficult or nasty ...if you really dont like her why dont you sell or are you joking?

huskydamage

Visit site
When I was looking for a new horse my wanted ad was 'mare preffered but gelding considered too'. Love mares I have two. They can be a bit bitchy or silly when in season but I've known so miserable geldings also and what's their excuse? 😂 I've always had mares and just feel I get on better with them, I find some geldings a bit dopey. Plus I'll never have to deal with that gross sheath bean thing 🤮

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I love mares had 2 and both were so lovely especially my warmblood never known such a kind sweet horse, my instructor used to say if she thought you were gonna come off she would catch you.
I have 2 geldings now I love them but would love another mare it's just not practical as they would have to all turnout together and it may not work, you never know might get another one day.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
thats interesting, how do you know she hates you and everyone, maybe people are not treating her in the right way..i always feel sorry for mares who are labelled as difficult or nasty ...if you really dont like her why dont you sell or are you joking?

I never once labelled her difficult or nasty - could you show me where I did?

I love her to bits so don't see why I should sell.

Templebar

Visit site
Mares all the way for me, to be honest my advert would probably say mares only. Most i have known have a better sense of self preservation over geldings and when you click with them they will try their best for you and you just have to know their moments and when you can ask a little more or when to call it a day.