Gelding preferred but would consider a mare

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I recently spent a morning at a(the) top dressage yard watching the training and it was interesting to see that most of the horses used in the demo were mares. The dressage rider/trainer/'God' acknowledged that mares are 'on the up' and that now is the time to snap up those cheap dressage mares because they won't be cheaper for much longer. I've had both mares and geldings and have worked with stallions, my best 'connections' have been with mares - I have found that they try harder for me IF you can get that connection.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I have no preference and have owned both, and to be fair one person's nightmare is another's dream. I've had follow you like a puppy in both versions. Then again the two biggest divas were both geldings. I've also only ever found that real read-your-mind connection thing with mares - not all, but never yet with a gelding.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I recently spent a morning at a(the) top dressage yard watching the training and it was interesting to see that most of the horses used in the demo were mares. The dressage rider/trainer/'God' acknowledged that mares are 'on the up' and that now is the time to snap up those cheap dressage mares because they won't be cheaper for much longer. I've had both mares and geldings and have worked with stallions, my best 'connections' have been with mares - I have found that they try harder for me IF you can get that connection.
I think the MSJ stud have really helped raise the profile of mares in dressage. There were the odd few before theirs rose to stardom but generally they were seen as oddities imo.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I always had geldings and never wanted a mare. Then I got my mare, and I think she's practically perfect in every way. I love my geldings - they're terrific - but my mare is my little lass, and that makes her special, to me at least. She's very sweet, kind and honest, and I'm very much "her" human. The boys are a bit less fussy!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Mmm, interesting, and how many white socks? (might as well get all stereotypes covered) ;)

Mine is Welsh x Arab x Appy pony mare with 4 white socks. The only thing she isn't is chestmut. I still think I won the lottery!!! xx

ETA our trainer, who incidentally loves quirky mares, has suggested writing a whole book on Cassie exercises to keep that brain occupied!! :p xx

Last edited:

Griffin

Visit site
I have had both but currently have a mare who I adore.

She is very opinionated and is absolutely clear about whether she likes you or not. When in season, she flirts with every male out there (squealing indignantly if they show interest) and can be more grumpy than usual.

However, I love her because she tries very hard to please if she likes you and she is very talented. I would trust her to get me out if a difficult situation and she has defended me in the field on more than one occasion. She is also very affectionate with people she likes (which is amazing considering her poor start in life) and very polite on the ground.

I think you have to look at the individual horse. I had a gelding who was the sweetest and most willing horse ever. However, my friend has a gelding who who is very tricky to ride.

meleeka

Visit site
I currently have two of each. My horse of a lifetime was a mare. Out of all mine it’s a mare that I have the closest bond with. She worships me in a way the others don’t and I can pretty much ask her to do anything for me. When I got her she was so horrible I almost sent her back. I decided to give her two months and luckily it turned out to be just insecurity and she came good. I think I just understand mares more. It’s far easier to see what they think about everything. One of my geldings was very shut down when he arrived and that was very odd.

scats

Visit site
I’ve had plenty of both, but mares win for me hands down. I do think you have to be of the right temperament as a human though to get the best out of one.
I find they have a far greater sense of self-preservation too, geldings just seem to do stupid things when they are out with their mates!
My experience is that mares can be prone to being quite quirky. Polly is the friendlier of mine, but she’s a raging hormone if she sees a gelding and will exhibit stallion-like behaviour (we had her scanned for a tumour, just in case). She hates being groomed but we have an understanding that she is brushed to be ridden and checked over. If I was the type of owner who wanted to spend hours fussing over a horse, we would likely clash!
In over 30 years, and a lot of horses, I’ve had 3 that I would have trusted with my life. Two of those were mares.

rara007

Visit site
Logistically running a boys only zone works easiest for us at home. I’ve had super simple chestnut mares, bonkers never out of season ones and both easy and quirky geldings so I’m not all that fussed. We’ve only had a handful of male entires and can’t say they’ve stood out to me one way or another either!

The Trooper

Visit site
I’ve had plenty of both, but mares win for me hands down. I do think you have to be of the right temperament as a human though to get the best out of one.
I find they have a far greater sense of self-preservation too, geldings just seem to do stupid things when they are out with their mates!
My experience is that mares can be prone to being quite quirky. Polly is the friendlier of mine, but she’s a raging hormone if she sees a gelding and will exhibit stallion-like behaviour (we had her scanned for a tumour, just in case). She hates being groomed but we have an understanding that she is brushed to be ridden and checked over. If I was the type of owner who wanted to spend hours fussing over a horse, we would likely clash!
In over 30 years, and a lot of horses, I’ve had 3 that I would have trusted with my life. Two of those were mares.

Does she happen to have canine teeth?

SEL

Visit site
I've got one of each right now. My gelding is incredibly sweet and pretty much the same day to day. Provide him with good food and he's happy.

My mare is the kind that puts people off owning them! Intelligent and opinionated plus very possessive of me and the gelding.

I'd quite like horse #3 - with 4 working legs - and I'm debating mare or gelding. I have a feeling my mare would be furious if another girl came into our lives. She could probably tolerate another boy to boss around but she gets in a huff if I handle other horses at the best of times and sharing her affections with another mare? Hmmm....

The Trooper

Visit site
I've got one of each right now. My gelding is incredibly sweet and pretty much the same day to day. Provide him with good food and he's happy.

My mare is the kind that puts people off owning them! Intelligent and opinionated plus very possessive of me and the gelding.

I'd quite like horse #3 - with 4 working legs - and I'm debating mare or gelding. I have a feeling my mare would be furious if another girl came into our lives. She could probably tolerate another boy to boss around but she gets in a huff if I handle other horses at the best of times and sharing her affections with another mare? Hmmm....

When I got Bonnie, Belle quickly started hating her and also giving me attitude for handling another horse. They were put in the same field and done everything together; led in together, fed together, ridden together etc - they soon started getting along. Belle is not quite protective of Bonnie but she still puts her foot down every now and again to remind her who the boss is.

Reactions: SEL

Gazen

Visit site
I have both. I haven't been able to fully 'bond' with my gelding and there is just that bit of 'something' missing from our relationship. I currently only have 1 mare but I did have 2 and I have to say that once 'bonded' they will do anything you ask of them. My mares are never mare-ish although they do get more affectionate when they are in season.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I much prefer mares. My current one is a sweetheart, although she lets me know when she thinks it's time to go back to the field or if I've been talking to other liveries for too long...

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I have always had a mental block when it comes to mares and have never really clicked with them. I love geldings and, although I'm definitely warming up to mares, I would likely choose a gelding first. With that said, I'm on the look out for a new best buddy now and have been looking at both but my wanted ad says gelding preferred 🙈🙈🙈

Northern

Visit site
Always had mares, would be hard pressed to buy a gelding. All the mares I have had and know are never "marey" and I have noticed no difference when they are in season. They are sassy, opinionated and try their absolute hearts out for me. I love them! Every now and then when I ride a gelding I remember why I love mares :p Each to their own!

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
First pony was a chestnut mare, 13.2hh of teeth, hooves and attitude. I had her on loan and we had a brilliant bond, I could do anything with her. I’ve only had geldings since just cos they are easier. That said latest gelding definitely requires more of a delicate approach but generally is very easy to deal with, great goof that he is.

Merrymoles

Visit site
I have no preference really at all - I've known the best and worse of both mares and geldings, have worked in places where the majority were geldings and in others where the majority were mares. I always expect them to behave like horses, whether male or female.
If I had to replace my current gelding for some reason, I would probably go for a gelding simply because our current DIY set up where he shares with another gelding works so superbly well that I would be keen to continue sharing the chores with the other gelding's owner and he is less likely to settle with a mare than another gelding.

pippixox

Visit site
I always feel a bit hypocritical as a woman to criticise a mare for being hormonal!
I have one of each. A few years ago I had two of each and although I liked the younger mare who I backed I found with limited time I simply didn’t click with her and I’m sure she could tell. When I decided to sell everyone who viewed wanted her as she was so friendly to them. I decided I only had time for one mare! But after a rocky start 9 years ago now my mare is perfect for me. Months can go by and I can pop on her for a pootel or when fitter she works beautifully. We truely have a special bond and she can be chosey with other people. But I kind of like that! She will get a bit hormonal at times. But so do I!

However, I also have a very close bond to my gelding. It is just different. He can also be a flirt! But if you told him to do something he would with no questions, where as my mare would think if she wishes to oblige...

Yes there is a tiny part that would love to breed from her but she is 16 this year and it is expensive and an unknown risk. It would not be a clone of her! Certainly not why I would chose a mare.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Geldings all the way. Stallions mostly irritate the crap out of me! Mares I detest the attitude/seasons that most have.

Although recently I've ridden a few very nice mares and dare I say it... I wouldn't discount them in the future.

Besides, I appear to have two mares in geldings bodies anyway lol.

Nasicus

Visit site
I recently spent a morning at a(the) top dressage yard watching the training and it was interesting to see that most of the horses used in the demo were mares. The dressage rider/trainer/'God' acknowledged that mares are 'on the up' and that now is the time to snap up those cheap dressage mares because they won't be cheaper for much longer.
The cynic in me would wonder if they have a backlog of mares they're struggling to sell due to gender bias :p

sportsmansB

Visit site
The grey mare in my sig was my horse of a lifetime
I had mostly had geldings before she came along.
She wasn't mare-ish as in seasons / squirting / grumpiness.
But she was incredibly smart, and sensitive. I pretty much knew what she was thinking all the time, and what she liked and disliked, because she made it clear. She did all her favourite things with such enthusiasm (hacking, cross country). In 2 seasons eventing and 3 years of ownership I didn't fall off her.
She wasn't the easiest to ride, but she was 100% safe and looked after both of us- she just didn't do anything daft. She was a real lady and seemed to look down on the silly geldings who messed around. I miss her every day and am devastated that we didn't get to carry on her temperament and ability with a few foals as I genuinely think they would have been extra special.
Now I have a gelding. He likes food. He is unbothered about pretty much everything else. I can see the attraction for some, but I miss the feeling of real conversations and compromises with a mare.

HLOEquestrian

Visit site
If I was looking to buy I wouldn't be looking to exclude a mare/gelding/stallion but I genuinely do love mares so I would probably be more swung towards choosing a mare. I like that they usually have a bit more personality and attitude about them!

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
I love mares, they will always try their heart out for you. I love a red head too. I think I am kind and sensitive and I think that is why I find mares easier. I wouldn't want a gelding, and though I'd consider a stallion I find them wimpy to ride. Also if I didn't have the setup to give the stallion a decent life I'd not get one. I wouldn't criticize a mare for a few off days that nature has decided is her lot. I know how crap I felt every month but thank god now I'm in my fifties the hormones and monthly blood fest is a thing of the past!

Peter7917

Visit site
The only mare I have any involvement with is an absolute nightmare when she is in the season. The gelding she is turned out with doesn't give her sufficient attention so she spends countless hours running up and down the fence line screaming for the geldings in the next field. Turns into a spooky mess out hacking, screaming her head off the whole ride.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The only mare I have any involvement with is an absolute nightmare when she is in the season. The gelding she is turned out with doesn't give her sufficient attention so she spends countless hours running up and down the fence line screaming for the geldings in the next field. Turns into a spooky mess out hacking, screaming her head off the whole ride.
this post makes me sad. She can't help it :(