Genetics for foal colour...

carolineg

Visit site
I knew what my mares assets and weaknesses were, I looked online and then went and met our choice of stallion. I saw him move and what his temperament is like...and was impressed :D
I think you're right Faracat re KC colour :)

templewood

Visit site
I knew what my mares assets and weaknesses were, I looked online and then went and met our choice of stallion. I saw him move and what his temperament is like...and was impressed :D
I think you're right Faracat re KC colour :)

Hi Carolineg. Think we crossposted somehow. My previous reply was to S4Sugar! I prefer the traditional way of choosing a stallion too.
Hope Charm doesn't keep you waiting much longer!

s4sugar

Visit site
Hi Carolineg. Think we crossposted somehow. My previous reply was to S4Sugar! I prefer the traditional way of choosing a stallion too.
Hope Charm doesn't keep you waiting much longer!

When I was looking I much prefered to see a full pedigree rather than selected ancestors -much easier to identify ones with close relatives or matches with my mare if all is laid out rather than just odd stallions listed.

Once I could track the pedigree & relationship I shortlisted a few and went to see them all. Isn't that the traditional way of choosing a stallion?

templewood

Visit site
S4Sugar
Sorry for the abrupt reply. I was in a bit of a rush! To clarify. Most breeders with PRE mares who would need to know my stallions pedigree already know that they can go to this website:
http://www.lgancce.com/lgpreancce/a...ultarArbolGenealogicoPRE.aspx?ID=37LgUOliFas=
to look up the whole pedigree of any registered PRE in the world. For people breeding from other mares, their pedigree's will be completely different and they are only likely to want to know about some of the interesting relationships. However, as I said, his pedigree is on my website.

I'm glad to hear that you too went down the traditional route of choosing a stallion. Many don't.

carolineg

Visit site
Hi Templewood, now that we think my mare and both her parents are seal brown rather tham bay as I thought does this change what we thought about her having a bay foal? I assume she'll more be more likely to have a seal brown foal?

templewood

Visit site
Hi Carolineg. To be Seal brown a horse must be either At a, or At At (not the correct way of writing it, but I can't do it on my computer!). Your mare could be either of these.
Mac has been DNA tested as AA, so if he carries Seal brown he must be At At or At A. If it is At At, then your foal will definately be Seal brown. If it is At A (which I'm inclined to think) it has a 50% chance of being Seal brown. If he doesn't carry it and he is just AA, then your foal will definately be bay(or possibly some form of dun), as A is dominant over both At and a.

Hope that helps!

Charmin

Visit site
So if my mare is seal brown (as has been established, really interesting!) can she produce a perlino or double dilute foal if put to a buckskin stallion?

Truly

www.shannonleighstables.com
She wouldn't have a perlino or cremello foal because they are double dilute..meaning they have received one cream gene from dad and one cream gene from mum. Your mare doesn't have a cream gene and Legrande only has one cream gene..single dilute.. (so he may pass it or may not) ...if he does pass his one cream gene on then the foal would be Buckskin (if not palomino) but if she is seal brown not bay the shade of Buckskin would probably be dark not Golden like Legrande.
Hope that helps ? :)

Last edited:

carolineg

Visit site
Hi Carolineg. To be Seal brown a horse must be either At a, or At At (not the correct way of writing it, but I can't do it on my computer!). Your mare could be either of these.
Mac has been DNA tested as AA, so if he carries Seal brown he must be At At or At A. If it is At At, then your foal will definately be Seal brown. If it is At A (which I'm inclined to think) it has a 50% chance of being Seal brown. If he doesn't carry it and he is just AA, then your foal will definately be bay(or possibly some form of dun), as A is dominant over both At and a.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Templewood :D now all I need to do is convince my girl to evict her tenant!! ;)