George has trained me well. LOVE LOVE LOVE this horse!!!

_GG_

Visit site
It started about 5 days into having him and I noticed him start to point when I brushed him in itchy places. He has a lot of them as his skin is starting to come good so it's shedding lots of dead and poor bits. Over the course of a few days, it turned into me standing back, asking him where he wants a scratch and him showing me.

He now flat out directs me in his grooming/scratching sessions. This morning, I was walking back from Bert and Ernie's field and he walked over and stood square in front of me, stopping me in my tracks, then backed up, nuzzled my shoulder, walked forward and pointed to his belly. I'm used to him doing it when he's being groomed but for him to come to me in the field with the sole intention of getting me to scratch him is just hilarious.

I cannot believe how in love I am with this horse already. Stupid beggar has thrown a shoe so farrier out tomorrow but they'll all come off anyway and he's not at all sore. He's just hilarious. Every day he makes my heart feel a little big bigger and more full :)

Hope you enjoy these short videos...please excuse the commentary ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc0RruAbtVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeKx-tJInCg

Everyone needs a George in their life :)

Last edited:

crabbymare

Visit site
Clever horse. not long before he stands at the gate or part of the fence near the house and yells for you to come out when he wants scratching :)

misskk88

Visit site
That is one happy horse to have someone scratch his itchy spots! He is lovely :)

I try to always give my horses a good massaging and thorough groom at least once or twice a week. With my old horse, I could hold my brush out, and he would literally park himself underneath it where he wanted a good scrub! If I moved off the spot he use to move with my brush. Grooming took forever with him as I couldn't resist making sure he enjoyed his pamper, he would happily be groomed all day if he could! My current mare will point when she gets an itch on her side- I can scratch it for a few seconds with her lip curling with pleasure, but that's usually enough for her!

I do love a horse that lets you know its joys in life!

_GG_

Visit site
Clever horse. not long before he stands at the gate or part of the fence near the house and yells for you to come out when he wants scratching :)

I walked up the garden to hang some washing out yesterday afternoon and he walked over. As I walked past the garden gate back towards the house, he stretched his neck over the gate and caught me with his wiggly top lip and a little nicker. How do you not stop and give a horse a fuss when they do that? :)

_GG_

Visit site
That is one happy horse to have someone scratch his itchy spots! He is lovely :)

I try to always give my horses a good massaging and thorough groom at least once or twice a week. With my old horse, I could hold my brush out, and he would literally park himself underneath it where he wanted a good scrub! If I moved off the spot he use to move with my brush. Grooming took forever with him as I couldn't resist making sure he enjoyed his pamper, he would happily be groomed all day if he could! My current mare will point when she gets an itch on her side- I can scratch it for a few seconds with her lip curling with pleasure, but that's usually enough for her!

I do love a horse that lets you know its joys in life!

Yeah, I've been doing daily yoga stretching with him. It really helped Fly and with George, it's made a massive difference in his muscle tension...he's much more relaxed now. When I do his shoulder stretch, he LOVES it and practically does it himself now. Only problem with the yoga stretches is they make him fart...A LOT!!! :)

Annagain

Visit site
Between George scratches and Bert kisses I'm amazed you get any work done! I stood for a good 10 minutes watching Archie trying to start a field riot this morning. It made me a bit later for work! None of the others were interested and he was getting quite indignant about it, it was hilarious. It's a good job I don't work from home or I'd never leave the yard in the morning.

_GG_

Visit site
Between George scratches and Bert kisses I'm amazed you get any work done! I stood for a good 10 minutes watching Archie trying to start a field riot this morning. It made me a bit later for work! None of the others were interested and he was getting quite indignant about it, it was hilarious. It's a good job I don't work from home or I'd never leave the yard in the morning.

Haha, bless him! I am in and working now. I am normally in and working by about 8am but not today. After Bert rearing at me and attempting to take a chunk out of my shoulder this morning, I decided a little lesson in respect of space was in order. Poor sod, he mouth got around my shoulder and I realised what he was doing just as his teeth made contact, so I did my instinctive bat ***** crazy dance and he took off up the field. He let me walk straight back up to him...the beauty of a bat ***** crazy dance is that you don't have to shout or hit to teach them...they just decide you are the scariest thing on the planet, lol. I really hope nobody ever gets it on camera, lol.

Suffice to say, he learned a valuable lesson. It's what he used to do to Fred...rear but with the front legs low and push with his shoulders...typical baby thing and the bite is normal for horses too...he just had a lesson that I am not a bloody horse!!!!! I don't think he'll forget.

So that made me late as it was so George parking himself square in front of me as I marched back towards the house was not exactly helpful...I just can't say no to him :)

sandi_84

Visit site
Awesome! George is so fantastic, I'm not surprised you've fallen for him :D I've heard of horses that do this but I've never seen it before :) What a wonderful character! :D

Would love to see the bat sheet crazy dance though, bet you that's worth a giggle ;)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I walked up the garden to hang some washing out yesterday afternoon and he walked over. As I walked past the garden gate back towards the house, he stretched his neck over the gate and caught me with his wiggly top lip and a little nicker. How do you not stop and give a horse a fuss when they do that? :)

Oh God love him . . . and you :). Well done Fly ;).

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
Haha, bless him! I am in and working now. I am normally in and working by about 8am but not today. After Bert rearing at me and attempting to take a chunk out of my shoulder this morning, I decided a little lesson in respect of space was in order. Poor sod, he mouth got around my shoulder and I realised what he was doing just as his teeth made contact, so I did my instinctive bat ***** crazy dance and he took off up the field. He let me walk straight back up to him...the beauty of a bat ***** crazy dance is that you don't have to shout or hit to teach them...they just decide you are the scariest thing on the planet, lol. I really hope nobody ever gets it on camera, lol.

LOL. Kali made the mistake of putting his teeth on me while I was leading him up to the field once - I also did the bat doo doo crazy dance . . . he was completely stunned - his face was very funny. Worked though ;).

P

_GG_

Visit site
LOL. Kali made the mistake of putting his teeth on me while I was leading him up to the field once - I also did the bat doo doo crazy dance . . . he was completely stunned - his face was very funny. Worked though ;).

P

So much more effective than a smack or shouting :)

ihatework

Visit site
He sounds fab.

My girl does that to some extent, but my old retired boy sounds very much like George.

To the point that when he was on livery I had to warn the grooms he wasn't trying to kick them if he reversed into them, or pinned them in the corner with his backside - it was just him saying he wanted his @rse scratched 😳

_GG_

Visit site
He sounds fab.

My girl does that to some extent, but my old retired boy sounds very much like George.

To the point that when he was on livery I had to warn the grooms he wasn't trying to kick them if he reversed into them, or pinned them in the corner with his backside - it was just him saying he wanted his @rse scratched ��

Haha, Teasle and Fly did the reversing, "scratch my @rse" thing :)

He is just so scrummy!!!!!!

I say that every day :)

vam

Visit site
Ahh love him :) They train us far easier than we do them.
My old mare used to like having the inside of her stifles scratched, proper full on wobbly lip, leg quiver. She would then follow you round with her butt and get you in the right place so you couldn't help but give her a scratch. She had a big old butt and there was no escape...

_GG_

Visit site
Ahh love him :) They train us far easier than we do them.
My old mare used to like having the inside of her stifles scratched, proper full on wobbly lip, leg quiver. She would then follow you round with her butt and get you in the right place so you couldn't help but give her a scratch. She had a big old butt and there was no escape...

Haha. Gotta like a big old butt!

_GG_

Visit site
I'm not entirely sure how I can explain this. There have been a few developments and they mean that I don't think I could ever rehome Georgeous!!!

1/ Feeding. This is actually quite sweet...if I walk away when he is eating, he will leave his food and come to me, rub me with his head and walk back to his food for another bite...and repeat until he's finished or I just leave the field.

If I stand by him as he eats, he takes a mouthfull, lifts his head and tucks his poll under my armpit while he chews...then another mouthful, poll tucked under armpit and repeat!

2/ Would probably scare the absolute bejeesus out of someone that didn't know him, but upon putting his rug on this evening, I did up the chest, pulled it down over his bum and then went to do the belly straps up. Now...normally I do the fillet straps first, but for some reason tonight I went to do belly straps first. As I put my arm under his belly to grab the front strap, he lifted his hind leg, hoof right up to level with his belly but out to the side by about a foot and also had his head right around by me...nudging me with his muzzle. I had to stand back and laugh at him for a moment before trying to figure out what he was trying to tell me as I've not seen this one before.
I tentatively grabbed the belly straps and did them up. I don't think for one second that Georgeous has a bad bone in his body so I didn't think for one second that he would kick me, but I have only had him for 15 days, so I was being careful. Then as I stood up, he did the exact same on the other side, then on the near side again. So...I started by rubbing his belly, no response...went back to just in front of his sheath...no response. Finally, I rubbed right up the inside of his groin and he went into a state of utter bliss. his leg cocked out to the side like a dog having a wee and his head doing something usually reserved for people in the midst of an exorcism!

I walked around to the other side and sure enough, up went the leg and in went my hand. Rubbed away and ended up with a very happy horse.

Goodness knows how Dan will cope on the weekend while I am gallavanting on horseback over the Brecon Beacons. I will have to do it with him tomorrow evening and just hope he copes. Good, very experienced horsey friend just down the lane he can call on if he struggles.

It is, quite frankly, the funniest thing I have ever seen. I think I need someone to come and properly video all of his little quirks as I have never known a horse like it. It's all I can do at the moment not to start 5 new threads a day about him and crash facebook with new videos, lol :)

LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Oh yes, he's got you exactly where he wants you, at his beck and call!!!! :D

Benji has taught Flicka how to present one's arse for scratching. Fortunately she doesn't chase me like he does. I stop and he legs it after me and stops dead in front so I am forced to continue.

And yes, Benji does the same as George, cocks his leg for a good scratch of the undercarriage area!!!!! I have to warn people if they come to see him.

_GG_

Visit site
Oh yes, he's got you exactly where he wants you, at his beck and call!!!! :D

Benji has taught Flicka how to present one's arse for scratching. Fortunately she doesn't chase me like he does. I stop and he legs it after me and stops dead in front so I am forced to continue.

And yes, Benji does the same as George, cocks his leg for a good scratch of the undercarriage area!!!!! I have to warn people if they come to see him.

Haha, he sounds like a right character! :)

We've gone almost 3 weeks without rain here and the minions are in a restricted paddock, but it is literally turning to dust. The grass in there is hardy, but it hasn't been able to grow at all and I want them to at least have a bit to nibble as it grows. So...I went in there with the long hose this evening. Cue, mental minions and me almost doubled over with laughter. Dolly kept trying to bog off with the hose in her mouth and a quick squirt with the hose meant a bucking and farting 27inch minion making shapes across the paddock. She kept coming back for more though. Paulo wasn't quite so confident to start with, but soon enough he was joining in too :)

Princess16

Visit site
So much more effective than a smack or shouting :)
Gorgeous George is the George Clooney of the horse world lovely!

GG could you explain (as best you can lol) what exactly the bat dance entails ? Sounds like something I should learn to do especially if it's effective :)

Tobiano

Visit site
what a lovely horse.

It is SO rewarding when they show you the pleasure you are giving them with a scratch - my Bilbo does this a bit, and to me its lovely to think you are giving them some part of the pleasure they give you. Gorgeous George is obviously a total sweetheart and its wonderful that the 2 of you are together x x

Kezzabell2

Visit site
My old girl.does that too. Or walks up to me, reverses until her bum is by my hand then stops, turns her head to look at me. And keeps.looking back until I scratch her

So cute as