Get skinny, get riding thread!

catwithclaws

Visit site
Ooooo ill join! I'm 5'7 and started out at 13st 6lbs. Joined slimming world and got down to 10st 9lbs which is the smallest I've been in years. Started a new (less active) job a month ago, coupled with having no willpower and have already put 9lb back on!

Need to get back on it!!

cobalobM

Visit site
i'll join!! am 5'3 and weigh 11st2... in march I started running, I was so unfit but by june I could run 2 1/2 miles. I then went on holiday and that went down the drain!!! Just started running again (yesterday!) and am really annoyed at myself because now Im dying after half a mile. I walk the dogs most days too but that doesn't seem to help at all!

Eating is defo my problem... I swear im addicted to chocolate and cakes! I cannot stop myself from eating something sweet after lunch and dinner! would love to get down to 9 and a half stone.

TheoryX1

Visit site
Firstly illusion100, you are doing the right thing, thyroid problems are miserable, whether under or over active. Its hereditary in our family on the female side and I suffer with the under active problem, but more elderly relatives have had huge issues with it the other way, and a goitre and bulging eyes was a common sight at family gatherings, going back 20 or 30 years, before it was relatively easy to treat. Its so easy to sort and the advantage is that you should under up with free prescriptions for life as well.

Count me in. I left my business six months ago - best thing I ever did. I weighed in at just below 14 stones, and I am five foot six and a fairly small build, and a size 20-22. It was down to comfort eating and drinking and mega stress. The first thing I did on my first day of freedom was drag my cob in from the field and we started fittening work. He is now 21, so we took it slowly. I was then doing Mini TX's horse and him twice a day of necessary, plus our turnout can be a long way away, depending on where they are turned out. I was at home, eating healthily, cooking all my meals from scratch, as I didnt have to work with my ex business partner, I wasnt stressed, stopped drinking far too much a night and the pounds came off. I am now around 11 and a half stone and a size 14 to 16.

The cob got fit, and then had an arthritic flare up during the end of July, and I havent ridden him since. Thankfully he responded brilliantly to the treatment of injections, Synequin and a Tildrin drip (I am insured, thank god), and I have been given the all clear to ride him again. Thankfully the weight hasnt gone on again, but I did beat myself up over the fact that he had carried all that lard around for a while and even got upset with the vet over it. I was reassured me that the damage occurred well before I had owned him, and at 21 after a hard life, it was to be expected so dont beat myself up.

I do feel so much better though and I am sure he will benefit as well. He is a very four square MW boy of 14.3 hh and he has taken much heavier than me in the past with ease, but I would rather not subject him to it. I was even chuffed when I told YO that I would be looking for another horse in the next year or so, that I wanted another cob again. She looked at me and said I didnt need such a weight carrier any more, had I thought about a nice 15.2hh LW hunter type, or a nice connemare. Made me smile I can tell you.

Cant wait to get back in the saddle again!!!!!

skint1

Visit site
I would like to be counted in, in the last few months my weight has crept up, I eat nothing but rubbish, which I am too old to do and as a result I feel a bit sickly a lot. My mare is off work and I would like to lose a stone or two for her before she comes back in. I am 5ft7 and am now just over 16 stone, I do carry it okish but I don't want her to carry it all.

At y heaviest I was 19.10, I didn't ride obviously but luckily my gall bladder played up and I lost over 4 stone, got to 14.7 and learned to ride, but since gall bladder has been removed the weight has crept back on. I kind of wish I still had it, because now I need will power :)

Tronk

Visit site
Count me in- great thread! Just stood on the scales after kids went back to school and I'm 10st 1lb :-( I'm normally 9st 7lb but prefer being around 9st but admittedly this hasn't happened for 11 years. Think it's a combination of the kids being home so lots of food around, plus my horse is on 2 legs at the mo so not much riding.

Anyway, was feeling miserable about this when a friend suggested the Forever Living Clean 9 detox diet. This friend lost a stone in 2 weeks on it! Apparently it is a great kickstart to losing a bit of weight and starting a healthy eating campaign. So my OH and I are starting it on Sunday ... (After Burghley!) ... Hoping it will get a few pounds off and boot me in the right direction. Will see how we go...!

dreambigpony

Visit site
Don't want to kill the mojo but it's not all about losing weight. I had to gain a whole load of weight before I was allowed to ride again because I was in hospital for several months receiving treatment for anorexia. Of course I understand that horses have a limit to the weight they can comfortably carry but I just want to tell you all that you don't need to lose weight to find happiness. You are all perfect and weight doesn't dictate that. x

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
Well put Hollie, loving yourself is half the battle.

Nessa, sorry to hear about all your issues, I am a depression sufferer too, its a horrible illness, mine has never really disappeared.

Can I join you all too please? I am over 14 stone and sadly not 8 foot. My lovely cob is ok with me onboard but I saw a video of me jumping and it was not a pretty sight. I have a desk bound job and lots of kids and I find it a real struggle to plan ahead. Fingers crossed for some motivation.

LaurenyLou

Visit site
Loving yourself is definitely important! But when I was living myself with a BMI pushing 40 I knew I needed to love a little less (hehe!!)

You stories are all wonderful and lots similar. I did lose lots 5 years ago but wouldn't recommend bulimia. Bad breath, losing hair, heart problems!! So trying to do it the healthy way. Having a good support network helps.

Shall we set a weigh in day? Gains for those gaining and losses for us who wobble a little to the trot?!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Loving yourself is definitely important! But when I was living myself with a BMI pushing 40 I knew I needed to love a little less (hehe!!)

You stories are all wonderful and lots similar. I did lose lots 5 years ago but wouldn't recommend bulimia. Bad breath, losing hair, heart problems!! So trying to do it the healthy way. Having a good support network helps.

Shall we set a weigh in day? Gains for those gaining and losses for us who wobble a little to the trot?!

haha def wobble too much in the trot!
Weigh in day sounds good though I need to buy scales :D

x x

Spilletta

Visit site
Good luck with your goals. If anyone feels they have tried everything to no avail, maybe try 'I Quit Sugar' by Sarah Wilson (Australian writer).

If you search it online you should find enough info from internet articles to see if it interests you. I'm quite a sceptical person where diets are concerned, (but love reading/watching anything on food and nutrition as it interests me) but the idea makes sense. I used to race Ironman-distance triathlons before re-discovering horses, and since following the advice, I am near enough my IM weight. I know it's not due to the riding and all the work that goes with horses because I put on several pounds after horses/before the sugar thing. (Should clarify I'm not doing any triathlon training these days...)

I am also reading a book about how the modern strains of wheat cause issues with weight and health, (Wheat Belly, I think it's called, but I'm nowhere near ready to give up bread!)

Last edited:

Illusion100

Visit site
Firstly illusion100, you are doing the right thing, thyroid problems are miserable, whether under or over active. Its hereditary in our family on the female side and I suffer with the under active problem, but more elderly relatives have had huge issues with it the other way, and a goitre and bulging eyes was a common sight at family gatherings, going back 20 or 30 years, before it was relatively easy to treat. Its so easy to sort and the advantage is that you should under up with free prescriptions for life as well. QUOTE]

Thanks, so nervous about having it done though, very needle phobic! It's good to hear it can be treated and managed easily, (if that's what I have), it's made me feel more positive. Thank you.

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
I'm up for this. I'm 5'6" and as of today 9stone12 (although I was 10stone5).

I intend to aim for a greater level of exercise and a low GI diet.

When I was pregnant I lost weight due to a glucose intolerance and following a strict low GI diet as I did not want to go on metformin. After I had my little girl 4years ago I was 8stone10 and had lost about 5 pounds on pre pregnancy weight. Sadly, 4 weeks before my little girl was born my beautiful horse was put to sleep. Cue me sitting on the sofa and eating biscuits for a few years and gaining a muffin top and getting to about 10stone5. I am riding a friend's horse a couple of times a week and she can easily carry me but I am looking at getting a 14.2 soon that I can enjoy and my little girl can sit on from time to time. Thing is, I know owning a horse will help but at the same time I don't want to squash it! I would like to get to 9 stone, I think I was too skinny when I weighed less.

LuckyMare

Visit site
I think as weight loss motivation goes, being able to ride your perfect new purchase is right up there!
No tips etc apart from Asdas own (im sure other supermarkets do them too!) healthy cup soups are tasty, filling and less than 50 calories a sachet! Good for when you want something but dont want the guilt/ calories of 'proper' food!

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I want to join please! I'm 5'6" and actually started my diet on Monday weighing 10st 8lb - the heaviest I have been for some time - I have a 14hh 5 year old so want to lose weight for her, and I think it would help the TB too. I would like to get down to 9 and a half stone. The problem is that I don't have any trouble getting down to that weight, but I struggle to stay there. I'm also the type of person who if I have one biscuit I think I have failed and just think "what the hell, I've failed now!" and then just eat the whole packet, followed by anything else I can then get my hands on. I also have a bad knee which I'm waiting for the MRI scan results on, so doing much in the way of exercise is difficult. I'm going out now with the dog for an hour and a half walk, but I'm be limping most of the way!

Griffin

Visit site
Please can I join? I'm 5'3" and currently 13 stone :-( I ride regularly but I really want my own, preferably 14-15hh, so I need to lose at least 3 stone. I find dieting really difficult due to problems with my blood sugar but I'm hoping I can win the battle.

WarmbloodX

Visit site
oh Illusion100 sorry to see that - sounds as though you might have an overactive thyroid there… do hope docs can sort for you.

I'm in with this thread please!! At 5'8 I am nearly 13 stone :( but realistically can't get much below 12 these days - not to stay there. I want to shift that stone so my horse is happier when we go hunting! And so there is a bit less for my baby horse to carry next year when he is 4. Will be reading avidly and sitting on my hands to stop snacking!

Tobiano we are the same except I'm 5 9. 13 too and struggle to maintain when under twelve. I did get to 11 5 but it was hard staying there

Fides

Visit site
Tea tonight :)

A4A47736-720E-43EC-B5CF-D45787328A58_zpspsz0ldyc.jpg

Paste mix - serves 8 - 1 tin of reduced fat coconut milk per 4 people.

1 stalk lemongrass, minced OR 3 Tbsp. prepared frozen or bottled lemongrass
1-3 green chilies, sliced
1 shallot, sliced, OR 4 Tbsp. minced purple onion
4-5 cloves garlic
1 thumb-size piece of galangal OR ginger, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves & stems (or a bottle of squeezy stuff)
1/2 cup fresh basil (or a bottle of squeezy stuff)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 Tbsp. fish sauce; Vegetarians: substitute 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. shrimp paste (or anchovy paste) ; Vegetarians: substitute 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. brown sugar
3-4 Tbsp. coconut milk (enough to blend ingredients together)

Marinade cubed chicken in the paste for at least an hour, preferably overnight.

Fry the chicken in a tablespoon of groundnut oil (or sesame), once sealed add a tin of coconut milk and reduce until thickened.

Serve with sticky jasmine rice and stirfry type veg.

LaurenyLou

Visit site
Mmmmm looks yummy! I had a roast today but just meat and veg and a muller light when home for dessert. Definitely feel less hungry on this plan. Having an increasing yard of horses for schooling helps too!

And yes, all feel free to join in the more the merrier!

Does the 5:2 work well? Seems too good to be true x

rhylis

Visit site
I'd like to join in too please. I need to lose some flab because I seem to have collected a small herd of young ponies which I now need to ride without flattening! I'm 5ft2 (if I stand up very straight!) I weigh about 9 and a half stone although it was creeping up to nearer 10 a while ago. Before the summer holidays I went on a diet called the harcombe diet which I really liked and got down to 9 stone on. It all went to pot when the kids were off school though and back up I went to 9 and half.
I'm back on the harcombe diet now and determined to stick to it for the sake of my ponies backs! I feel immensely guilty at the thought of riding them at the moment, I'd like to lose at least a stone so that I don't put them off being ridden forever!

Polar Bear9

Visit site
I'd like to join in :) I'm about 5'8 and around 12 stone, though I've lost half a stone in the last few months. I used to be much smaller but 3 years of depression at uni, a bad relationship and being on the injection put on a good 2 stone. I'd like to loose that again now. I still ride my 14.3 solid welshy occasionally but want to loose some for her sake and to get back competing. I currently don't eat much at all but what I do eat is all the bad stuff due to leading a busy life and not having time to cook. I ride regularly and cycle to work as well as doing Pilates. What would people recommend regarding diet and exercise? Anyone use liquid shakes/ juices, etc?

LaurenyLou

Visit site
I have had a naughty weekend. Stress of moving and having eight horses to care for between two locations is making me eat far too many rolos. Although back on track today and all this mucking out is definitely giving me a flatter belly! Keep it up girls...we will all attract attention riding little ponies for the RIGHT reasons soon!! :p

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Thought I'd pop in now I finally managed to weigh myself and its not as bad as I thought, just under 9.5 stone!

Still aiming to swim twice a week but have only managed once this week and last due to travelling with work. Had a bit of a cheat weekend with wine and chocolate consumed, but as I emptied my stable and tackroom, tidied everything, jet-washed the stable, moved my mats (which I'm sure weigh more than me) and jet-washed them as well. I think I earned a few calories :D.

Keep up the good work everyone.

x x

Bertolie

Visit site
I forgot to report in last week but another 2lbs gone:) weigh in tonight but for some reason I don't think I will do too well! Not sure why as I resisted the fish and chips the rest of the family had on Friday and have stuck to plan and within my syns allowance. I only need half a pound off to get my 10% weight loss....wish me luck!

B&J

Visit site
I'll join in please :) started my diet on getting 2 horses in Feb and a third in April. Went from 18.5 stone (ouch that hurt to admit) to 15 stone to date. So far by getting up early, mucking out, poo picking and a little riding of the tank. Also cut out the takeaways (bank balance dropped dramatically with the neds). Good luck everyone, keep going :)