Getting a Dog - where to start?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Just lie! Say you will certainly consider it.
I would never, ever use day care (sorry Amymay!) but I would consider it if asked to.

I will at least look at the options locally. If there was someone who does something at their home with a smaller number of dogs that might be better.

I think they are concerned that there will be 2-3 days where the dog will be left for two chunks of 4 hours (with the middle of day walk, either from me popping home or a dog walker coming). It won't be this way every week as some of these days I can work at home all day or for half the day but they say be honest on the form to avoid problems later.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I will at least look at the options locally. If there was someone who does something at their home with a smaller number of dogs that might be better.

I think they are concerned that there will be 2-3 days where the dog will be left for two chunks of 4 hours (with the middle of day walk, either from me popping home or a dog walker coming). It won't be this way every week as some of these days I can work at home all day or for half the day but they say be honest on the form to avoid problems later.

If you get a greyhound you won't need day care. It would almost certainly be a waste of money as they'll just sleep the whole time anyway. They'll just need someone to let them toilet in the middle of the day. Other types of dog, yes I could see they might get bored over that time.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
If you get a greyhound you won't need day care. It would almost certainly be a waste of money as they'll just sleep the whole time anyway. They'll just need someone to let them toilet in the middle of the day. Other types of dog, yes I could see they might get bored over that time.

This is what I thought so was surprised when the breed rescue suggested it, although they mentioned separation anxiety as a potential issue leading to howling/barking/destruction so perhaps being additionally cautious. Thankfully I have found somewhere that seems to do a mix of services so can approach them to see what flexibility is there and hopefully between us work out what's going to fit the dog best.

TGM

Visit site
I think the rescue organisations just want to know that you have the budget for/access to daycare if it turns out your rescue dog needs it. They don't want the dog returned because it can't cope alone for that amount of time. Chances are that you won't need it but they want to know you will consider it and can afford if necessary.

teddy_

Visit site
Greyhounds and lurchers are wonderful, benign and generally easy going dogs but not always the most biddable. We had a Greyhound x Saluki lurcher for 16 years (!) and he was saintly but, he wouldn't half bugger off at times. Something to bear in mind. The massive benefit to these as many have said, they really do sleep most of the time - providing they have a good blast at least once a day.

I personally have had good experiences dealing with The Dogs Trust as they really do try and match you up well but also, are realistic about people's circumstances. We got our lovely Doberman from The Dogs Trust and they were so supportive throughout.

OP, you sound open minded about the breed or type so I think you'll be grand :).

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Making a bit of progress - found a few people that offer smaller day care set ups as well as walking so hopefully some flexibility with them to work out what the dog needs, and have a proposed plan for fencing so feeling more hopeful it may all come together. Next job is finding a trainer to help us with some basics. :)

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
News just in.....WE HAVE A DOG RESERVED!!!!! :D A really sweet (but shy) little lady Greyhound.

Had a really good conversation with a rescue and all sounding positive so far. Still have to go through next steps of meeting her and just double checking home environment will be suitable.

Super excited (I know it may not go ahead but still...) and can't sit still to do my work haha!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
It's great to get as far as being able to speak to someone on the phone. I know the rescues are all so overwhelmed with dogs in need and lots of applications so a relief to be able to have a conversation about things in a bit more detail and with a particular dog in mind.

Trying not to get ahead of myself but also be prepared. Fighting urge to go out immediately and buy the various bits and bobs she'll need!

seaofdreams

Visit site
Just caught up with this thread, was going to say keep an eye out for small greyhounds, my girl is only 20kgs and tiny!
I've had my girl 5 years now and she has been amazing! I always wanted to take on a greyhound and she has been everything I hoped for and more.
I really hope it works out you

Bradsmum

Visit site
That all sounds very hopeful. It's very hard to keep an open mind when you get to meet the dog, I fell head over heels for a JRT initially but she wasn't right for us and in floods of tears I had to return her. I was then offered our current dog and he bowled us over and has fitted in so well. Will keep everything crossed for you. Do you know when home check and meet are likely to happen?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
That all sounds very hopeful. It's very hard to keep an open mind when you get to meet the dog, I fell head over heels for a JRT initially but she wasn't right for us and in floods of tears I had to return her. I was then offered our current dog and he bowled us over and has fitted in so well. Will keep everything crossed for you. Do you know when home check and meet are likely to happen?

It's hard not to get over excited about it. We're due to meet her next week so will take the weekend to think about what questions we need to ask and anything we need to let them know about us/our home that hasn't been covered.

I've looked up the home check steps and looks like it's case by case in terms of what they do for this photo/video/visit/chat. The dog is in foster very close to where we live, she could almost come and do her own inspection! So far we've just had a chat and been honest about other rescues bringing up the fence height but they didn't feel this would be a problem for this dog (we're going to put up the dog fencing anyway for our own peace of mind). The fosterers will know our street so I want to have a chat with them about how she's been with noise - it's not massively noisy but we're prepared for it to take some getting used to passing traffic and people if the dog is particularly sensitive to noise (we don't think she is from info given so far). We can also find out where she likes to walk so there's a bit of familiarity before we venture off to new places.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I'm making a list of questions to ask when we meet her - suggestions most welcome. It's a well known rescue so she has had the health check and behaviour assessment, plus there will be support available if things do go ahead. She was a stray so aware there's going to be some unknowns, but we also knew that lots of Greyhounds have limited experience in a home environment so lots of unknowns for them too and we'll need to help her get used to things anyway. It sounds like she is a bit shy and unsure but also has been friendly and gentle in nature, so we'll ask how they have been helping her feel more confident so that we do the right things to help her. They said they've been pleased she's been playing with a toy since moving - assume this means she can be a bit independent and curious too.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I had whippets in a rented house with a 3ft6 wall round the garden for over a year and none of them ever went over. I know it will vary dog to dog, but they arent a very jumpy breed. Theyd be off like a shot if the gate was open, but wouldnt dream of jumping out

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Ask what she's like with cats, of our 3 one was fine, one was ok if recalled strongly and a third would have killed a cat if given the chance even if we were there, so couldn't be off lead anywhere he might have found one. Best to know where you stand, if they know.

They said sometimes they put a muzzle and lead agreement in place as part of the rehoming terms, and this won't apply to this particular dog based on their assessment of her so far. They think it would be possible in time for her to be off lead but we're also prepared that may not be the case given the breed. It didn't sound like a concern they've picked up but we'll check with the foster volunteers to see if she's come across any cats and how she's reacted if so. I think we will invest in a long line for the first outings in the garden.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
We're meeting her on Wednesday and all being well she can come home with us, although I have asked about her moving to a new environment right next to it being bonfire night as she'll only really have had a couple of days with us before all the fireworks start going off on Friday night. She might not mind them (we'll ask) but want to be prepared.

Picked up a few bits today just in case she is coming home with us. (it's feeling very 'real' now, eeek!) I think we'll be making do with a few things before rushing out to buy too much or get the wrong things. We've got a long line for in the garden (and later out walking), bowls, car harness clip thingy, and a kong. Planning to order a few more things via one of the greyhound charities to support them - harness, bowl stands, muzzle.

I'd like her to have a crate that we can cover up to make a little den/quiet spot for her but it's tricky finding somewhere to put a big crate in our little house. Might have to make do with lots of snuggly pillows and blankets for now then maybe look at one of those cocoon/cave type beds. We suspect once she has learned what the sofa is it might not matter that much what her bed is, although it will be nice for her to have something to retreat to if she's had enough of us and/or that can be brought with us when we're able to venture out with her.

Birker2020

Visit site
https://www.beaglewelfare.org.uk/rehoming/

Beagle Welfare is amazing, we got our lovely Summer from there.
1635859648738.png
Beagles are loving and sociable dogs who enjoy nothing more than being involved in whatever is going on in the house. Although originally bred as scent hounds, they're very adaptable and as long as they get enough exercise are happy with city or country living.
Due to their size and adaptability, Beagles are really popular pets for families and first-time owners. They suit reasonably active homes where there is always someone around as they thrive off company.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Thank you Birker2020, it looks like we may have a Greyhound coming home with us (pending first meet and final checks) this evening.

Feeling excited and nervous for this eve. Not sure what I'm worried about. A lot of thought has gone in to it all but still will be a big change for us (and the dog!)

Ratface

Visit site
In my experience, greyhounds are truly lovely dogs. Quiet, polite, (apart from being prone to chasing cats and other fleeing small furries) excellent long hot water bottles and trainable.
My beloved Be was a wonderful example of the breed. I rescued her from having her throat cut, prior to being drowned in a bucket.
She was my best dog ever. Last one: best one.