Getting a Dog - where to start?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
In my experience, greyhounds are truly lovely dogs. Quiet, polite, (apart from being prone to chasing cats and other fleeing small furries) excellent long hot water bottles and trainable.
My beloved Be was a wonderful example of the breed. I rescued her from having her throat cut, prior to being drowned in a bucket.
She was my best dog ever. Last one: best one.

Poor dog! Sounds like she was very lucky to find a home with you.

Ratface

Visit site
Poor dog! Sounds like she was very lucky to find a home with you.
In truth, I was the lucky one. Be was loved wherever she went, and whomever she met.
When she was 13, she became unsteady on her back legs and needed to be PTS.
Both vet and I were really upset, but holding it together for Be's benefit. We were sitting on the floor, with Be in the middle between us. As the anaesthetic went in, a tear slid down my cheek. I bent down to kiss her goodbye and she licked it off my cheek.
Utterly heartbreaking.
I'm sorry if that's put a downer on the joy around the arrival of your lovely greyhound. I just wanted to illustrate what wonderful companions they are.
(Snivels off to find a box of tissues.)

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
In truth, I was the lucky one. Be was loved wherever she went, and whomever she met.
When she was 13, she became unsteady on her back legs and needed to be PTS.
Both vet and I were really upset, but holding it together for Be's benefit. We were sitting on the floor, with Be in the middle between us. As the anaesthetic went in, a tear slid down my cheek. I bent down to kiss her goodbye and she licked it off my cheek.
Utterly heartbreaking.
I'm sorry if that's put a downer on the joy around the arrival of your lovely greyhound. I just wanted to illustrate what wonderful companions they are.
(Snivels off to find a box of tissues.)

Bless you, we've heard so many wonderful things about them. Even on our introduction walk we were stopped by a fellow hound owner to have a chat about what great companions they are.

Well....she's home! At the foster home she did the greyhound leaning on you thing and of course stole our hearts.

Quiet and sweet and polite but quite worried. She's having a bit of a pace around so we're just sitting quietly and giving her a bit of fuss when she comes. It's hard seeing her unsettled but to be expected.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Bless her. She looks like she is sussing things (and you) out. Judging by the second photo, she'll be comfortable in her new home on no time. I want to give her a big cuddle (obviously on her terms and space)

Yes she's a bit worried when one of us gets off the sofa but otherwise quite happy snoozing which is great as she was pacing when she first came in.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Congrats on your new will take up all the sofa dog :D

The mums (i.e. mine and OH's mothers) are deeply unimpressed with the sofa thing but it was a large factor in wanting a dog in the first place. Ivy has gone very quickly from not understanding how to get up on the sofa to "I live here now" Getting off it again is a bit hairy but she'll get that too I'm sure!

She's beautiful ?

Ester is right. Today you gained a dog and lost a sofa

We'll take the hit :D

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Hope your first night went ok x

Her first night was absolutely fine. We sat down next to her bed until she settled, tucked her in and went up. Not a peep from her.

Me on the other hand... took ages to get to sleep and have been awake since about 4.30. Held off getting up until 6.30. I'm not remotely a morning person and the only other time I'm this excited to get up is when there's a holiday involving a plane! ?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Breakfast has been had. Toileting done (outside, phew!) Back to the sofa for further snoozing and getting used to people passing by the house. Probably staying home today, she's mostly settled in the house but is quite shy out and about, plus we don't have her harness or coat yet. Perhaps some kibble foraging in the garden later or OH can try and teach her how the Kong toy works ?