Getting a Dog - where to start?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Oh how could you leave her ?? Hope OH knows to send updates every 30 mins

I know! My heart broke walking to my car and I feel really unsettled at work.

Ivy and I learned a lesson each this morning. OH popped out and I needed to send an email so given she was so perfect settling last night I thought she wouldn't mind me being upstairs for a bit. She cried a bit then (very gently) made her way through our (admittedly makeshift) dog gate and I caught her about a third of the way up the stairs. We both looked at each other like "ah...I made a bad choice" and she sort of slid her way back down. I felt like a bad dog owner and she was unimpressed by the lack of stair grip! No harm done though.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
She's doing very well. Short walk this eve now we have a temporary harness. Fireworks going off and setting next door's little dog off barking which we can hear through the wall. Ivy just lifts her head, ears up and checks whether OH and I care or not/react then flops her head back down to resume snoozing. ?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Ivy has had rather a big day today. First venture out in the car. She did very well although was too worried to go into the pet shop so OH waited outside while I went and picked up some bits for her. We attempted a bit of a walk to get that done before school finish as it gets busy, and before getting dark. She got stuck a few times so we had to amend our planned route and keep it short. Now home and resuming her absolute favourite thing. Initially plopped her head down on my laptop but we've reached current compromise...(note already destroyed squirrel toy bought today ?)

20211105_151119.jpg

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
A chill day for Ivy today as things got a bit much yesterday (over excited new owners!) but we kept a little busy seeing as no walk. We're making progress with toilet training, I think she actually 'asked' me to take her to go earlier which is progress. She's figured out the kong (hurrah!) and learned her name. We had some foraging for a portion of her breakfast kibble in the garden and she got brave enough to get to the end of the long line (while still popping back to me for a bit of reassurance). We've also been working on 'bed' which she seems to be picking up. Tested out a short time alone with a video call running (just a minute for me to go fetch something from my car). She cried and paced a bit, not sure I want to do too much of this yet. She's been absolutely perfect left at night but found it harder in the day. We met our neighbours while fetching the post from the box outside our door. That was a bit scary but they were very good about giving her space, particularly with their young child who was so sweet. I'm not sure Ivy knows much about children so thought she was a star. ?

I realise typing that out it sounds like she's been on the go all day but really it's mostly been sofa loafing!

20211106_155223.jpg

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
She is gorgeous, and also wanted to say what fabulous owners you and your OH seem to be. She is a very lucky girl to have landed on her feet with you!

Aw thank you ? we tried to do our research beforehand but of course there is still so much to learn! She's certainly making our first dog owning experience pretty easy so far.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Seriously pleased with our little hound today (and myself actually). We tried and early morning walk round the block and she really struggled with it despite not many people being around. OH had to pick her up a few times as she got 'stuck' in middle of the road. I posted on a local sighthound group and not only do we have a few 'dates' lined up for Ivy to have a walking companion, I took some advice, put my own brave pants on and got her in the car by myself (she doesn't mind the car but we lift her in as she hasn't worked out jumping in herself yet) and off to some local woods. She loved it! Not worried by other people or dogs, squirrels highly interesting, and when she did get stuck it wasn't for as long and got quicker to recover each time. I think she's feeling better for the proper exercise too.
20211107_154021.jpg

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
That’s great, well done.
If your set up at home allows could you sit where you can watch the world go by, but at a bit of a distance, and eat cheese together?
Btw primula tubes are an excellent training aid. You just squeeze a but out for them to lick.

Our house faces onto a road so she can see and hear things going by all the time but I did wonder earlier about popping her on the lead and just chilling on the doorstep for a bit taking it all in. Working on the front door a bit anyway, I can't tell if she's excited or anxious but this morning she froze basically right outside our house but this afternoon she couldn't wait to get out the door.

It's quite hard to predict when she's going to freeze and when she did in the woods I couldn't identify an obvious trigger. I think the lack of extra 'stuff' going on helped her move on a bit quicker though.

Love the primula suggestion!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
sounds like its going well, remember its been hardly any time at all and you have already progressed a long way, small steps as you are doing is the way to go. keep updating with pics please, she is beautiful

Yes it's so hard not to get carried away! At least now we have a strategy for her to get some proper walks in and some positive experiences to help her trust in us before we move onto the trickier stuff.

Plenty of pics to go round. She already has her own Instagram account too :D

1636312871334.png

some show

Visit site
She's totally beautiful and you're doing a brilliant job with her! They really do experience so little in their lives, it's amazing how they adapt to becoming pets - mine used to freeze on walks too, now he drags me out in all weather, I'm sure she'll be the same! Just to say, and you probably know this from researching already, but if you do use a long line make sure it's on a harness not on a collar, just in case prey drive kicks in and she goes from zero to 40 mph in seconds and it yanks on her neck. My lad's got an insane prey drive and that sudden jolt can be crazy!

Already looking forward to more photos of Ivy xx

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
She's totally beautiful and you're doing a brilliant job with her! They really do experience so little in their lives, it's amazing how they adapt to becoming pets - mine used to freeze on walks too, now he drags me out in all weather, I'm sure she'll be the same! Just to say, and you probably know this from researching already, but if you do use a long line make sure it's on a harness not on a collar, just in case prey drive kicks in and she goes from zero to 40 mph in seconds and it yanks on her neck. My lad's got an insane prey drive and that sudden jolt can be crazy!

Already looking forward to more photos of Ivy xx

We had another nice walk out in the countryside bright and early this morning. I think I broke her - she actually nearly fell asleep in the car on the way home, it's only a 10 min drive! We had a few freezes but got going fairly quickly. She's cracked getting herself in the car as well (the cheese helped!)

Yes I realised I should have popped her harness on with the long line. Usually on walks she has the long line on the harness and a normal lead on her collar (double end lead arriving today hopefully) Also hoping for a new harness to arrive soon as the one she's got isn't great, thankfully when she does see a critter of interest she doesn't seem to really go for it and will walk on by with a prompt. The new harness is one of those fleece ones which I think will be much better in case she does decide to make a run for it!

1636364614971.png

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Can you still get Primula with prawns? Absolutely disgusting and dogs would sell their soles for it.

I think I did see this in the shop and now regretting not picking it up. Ivy could do with some Brave cheese!

Although we think some of her freezing is not so much fear she's just really interested in what's going on around her. When she's worried she looks different. We thought we'd upped the stakes enough by bringing out a toy (she LOVES a squeaky plush toy, unfortunately is also exceptional at destroying them!) on our walk today but no. Maybe squeezy cheese is the way to go.

Had a bit of a wobble yesterday and today (I'm not feeling well from some new medication which probably hasn't helped) after a tricky walk yesterday morning where I did end up carrying her for a chunk of it - surprised me because we got off to a great start. Reminding myself to be patient and look at the positives. I think we will get along to a training class soon, as well as some sighthound group walks to help us along with our confidence. I'm doing my best to channel calm, positive, leader but internally having moments of 'oh god I have no idea what I am doing and I am going to ruin this sweet dog!'

In better news she's getting into her Kong, and I'm getting better at making it more difficult! We had a little play in the garden (poor Christmas reindeer toy I bought yesterday is already punctured), a shorter walk to the local park, discovered her love of yoghurt (she was so happy when I opened the pot), and starting to learn about 'leave' (in the hope that it might extend the life of her toys fractionally). Also she looks a bit shinier in her coat and we did her first practice teeth brushing. :)

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
She is beautiful and you’re doing a brilliant job with her. Just don’t rush anything. Slow things down and if it means she doesn’t go out for a walk every day, don’t worry about that at the moment. Life has no doubt changed dramatically for her and so she’ll need time to process all the changes.

I agree, I think a total day off from walking tomorrow would be good. Friday we're joining my share horse's owner and her dog for a walk, I think she will like that.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Ivy had a fab walk today, we went out with my share horse's owner and her little dog. Ivy was sooo good, very unsure but said hello to a couple of people from the yard, said hello to a couple of the yard dogs and we had only one brief freeze for the whole walk (getting her the 30 second walk from the car to the front door when we got back was trickier, unclear why!). She was also good with one of the horses being nearby, I'm not sure if she's been that close to one before.

Her new harness arrived today - much easier to put on and nicely padded for her. She doesn't usually wag her tail all that much but she found opening this parcel quite exciting and initially thought the harness was a new toy to play with! :D

Utterly pooped after our walk...

1636733567854.png

Last edited: