Getting bored of bits?

Sprat

Visit site
My mare seems to get bored of bits after going sweetly in them for a few weeks. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did they do to solve it?

She’s snaffle mouthed, but after a few weeks she stops flexing so nicely and starts leaning. I’ve had a bit fit consultant out who recommended a jeffries eldonian snaffle, which she got bored of after about 4 weeks. I’ve since tried a demi anky, but it’s too chunky in her mouth so I’m debating trying the thinner mouthpiece. I’m reluctant to pay another £50 for her to do the same with a different bit.

Other bits we have tried: bomber happy toungue, NS turtle top, NS trans angled lozenge, NS loose ring lozenge, myler low ported comfort snaffle.

I’m at my wits end, not sure I can keep spending money on more!

burge

Visit site
I recently bought a new Neue Schule bit and in the standard booklet you get with them all there was some basic bitting advice. One of the items concerned horses with sensitive mouths maybe needing a bit change as often as every few weeks. My horse is the same but just alternate his small collection of 3 bits and that seems to work. They don't actually need a new bit each time, just a change.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Hmm either that or she was never truly accepting of the bit in the first place and the new one just made her back off it temporarily.

What does your trainer say, OP?
When we settle on a bit for mine I don't tend to change unless going from snaffle to double.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I always swop and change snaffles I use about three on each horse and often try something different .
I was taught to do this a long time ago .

Sprat

Visit site
Milliepops I think you are probably correct re: not accepting the bit. She’s always been funky in the contact, is quite sensitive mouth wise but then can lean. I’m aware that she needs to work more through and in front of my leg in order to achieve a decent contact, but it’s hard to know where to start when the front end goes brittle. I’m just not sure how to go about fixing it. My instructor has just advised trying a few different ones and seeing what works best

blitznbobs

Visit site
Contact starts at the back end of a horse not the front, a horse can not lean if it has nothing to lean on, what are you doing when she leans?

Goldenstar

Visit site
This is likely to be a solved with training it’s a stage some go through .
It’s resolves as they gain strength and better balance in their bodies .
How about you go back to bit number one see how she feels .
This is exactly the type of horse where rotating bits can help .
I would add in the simple loose ringed myler comfort snaffle which I do use a lot at that stage .
I have been through all this recently with G built a bit croup high with a short neck he has a few challenges training wise ,changing snaffles but always using the myler of important training sessions with the trainer was the answer with him .
He’s through it now and apart a tiny head tilt when things get hard his connection is getting really good .

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Hmm either that or she was never truly accepting of the bit in the first place and the new one just made her back off it temporarily.

What does your trainer say, OP?
When we settle on a bit for mine I don't tend to change unless going from snaffle to double.

one of my horses was like this he just wouldn't accept a contact he has a very soft sensitive mouth so in the end I tried a magic snaffle its like a ported Pelham mouth piece with snaffle rings, its a very mild bit and after a time he just got confidence in it and worked properly then I tried him in an eldonian starter snaffle and he was fine, I ride him in a hanging cheek sweet iron bit which he loves and he will accept a Pelham as well now.

I think with some horses they need a bit they can trust to learn to accept a proper contact then you find you can change into something else and they are fine.

pansymouse

Visit site
I had on going problems with my mare and bits; I threw a lot of time and money at the problem to no avail. Last summer I decided sod it, I'll try without, I slipped on my reinforced brave pants and put her in an English hackamore - instant success; we're both so much happier.