Getting to Badminton by some roads may be extra tricky this year

BBP

Visit site
Thanks for posting! I was planning to head over from Cambridge but given I'm on call til midnight Friday and have a pleasure ride in Newmarket on Sunday, the idea of 6 hours driving plus hours sat in traffic isn't so appealing. I might give it a miss this year!

Elvis

Visit site
We are coming from the south east (Hampshire), we'd usually come up via basingstoke, Newbury and the M4, that's why I was hoping cutting up by Bristol would help. We could take the back roads. Do you think that would help? Thanks for this GG, really appreciated.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Y
Japfest traffic has been known to trail back to the M$ on both junctions 17 & 18 of the M4. if you're coming from the south, you'd have to pass both of those to get to Bristol and go in that way. If coming from the south west, my advice would be to come A303 and A350 to Melksham, then A4 to Bath and A46 to J17 of the M4...that takes you over the motorway and not onto it. It is then a 4 mile drive to Badminton.
GG junction 17 is the Chippenham one not far from Castle Combe. I think you meant to tell people to use J18 which is Tormarton

_GG_

Visit site
Y
GG junction 17 is the Chippenham one not far from Castle Combe. I think you meant to tell people to use J18 which is Tormarton

Yes I did....well spotted. Thank you. Used to live in Old Sodbury, for the next 2 days I still live in Melksham and it seems my brain is well and truly fried, lol :)

lhotse

Visit site
For anyone coming from the south, the roads leading from Bristol to Bath are affected by the Kelston Rd closure, putting extra pressure on the A4 and the A420. This coupled with the closure of the B4465 meaning traffic can't use it to access the motorway will increase the traffic on these roads and the traffic on the A46 between the Cold Ashton roundabout and the M4. You would be better off staying on the M5 until north of Bristol and making your way to Badminton from J14.

_GG_

Visit site
For anyone coming from the south, the roads leading from Bristol to Bath are affected by the Kelston Rd closure, putting extra pressure on the A4 and the A420. This coupled with the closure of the B4465 meaning traffic can't use it to access the motorway will increase the traffic on these roads and the traffic on the A46 between the Cold Ashton roundabout and the M4. You would be better off staying on the M5 until north of Bristol and making your way to Badminton from J14.

Good advice, I thought the road closure was going to be gone by then :(

smellsofhorse

Visit site
That's rather silly for both to be on the same weekend.

I would say its badmintons fault though, for the past few years its been on the bank holiday weekend, with xc on the Sunday and sj on the bank holiday Monday.

This year it is the week.after the bank holiday with xc on the Saturday and sj on the sunday.

Good for me as badminton and the North Somerset show have clashed the last few years!

Traffic is always bad, as is to be expected with the local roads, let's hope they have a good plan to ease traffic if both events are on the same weekend!

lhotse

Visit site
Good advice, I thought the road closure was going to be gone by then :(

The road closure was supposed to have been and gone, but because of roadworks around Coalpit Heath, it was postponed until the 9th, for a weeks closure. That was the latest update anyway, it might change again!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
That's rather silly for both to be on the same weekend.

I would say its badmintons fault though, for the past few years its been on the bank holiday weekend, with xc on the Sunday and sj on the bank holiday Monday.

This year it is the week.after the bank holiday with xc on the Saturday and sj on the sunday.

Good for me as badminton and the North Somerset show have clashed the last few years!

Traffic is always bad, as is to be expected with the local roads, let's hope they have a good plan to ease traffic if both events are on the same weekend!

It says on the website that both events are working together to minimise traffic problems, lets hope they're good at it.

Any suggestions for those of us coming down the M5 from Birmingham?

Wishful

Visit site
Castle Coombe is south of M4 so probably would come south from M5 avoiding Bristol and M4 completely. j14 of M5 would be my instinct from quick look on map.

Staying at Almondsbury on Friday night so planning to avoid motorways and arrive very eary- sorry to Husband!

AmieeT

Visit site

Very true- Kelston expected to be closed a long while longer. Lots of hacking on the lanes around so be careful folks (I've had a few near misses with impatient drivers- some of whom with horsey stickers on the back!

I would say best way is to carry on along the ring road (A147?) and follow signs towards Westerleigh then Chippenham- I don't know the road numbers unfortunately but some helpful soul might :D Wick/Tog Hill would be fairly slow I think.

Ax

MochaDun

Visit site
Also worth adding that the road between the Avon Ring Road and Tormarton (B4465) that passes through Codrington is due to be shut at the M4 bridge from the 9th May for a week, so traffic is being diverted via the A420 through Bridgeyate to the Cold Ashton roundabout. This will include all traffic and lorries from the trading estates at Emersons Green. Progress along the A46 from the Bath direction, at least until M4 J18 will be horrendous I would expect.

Lhotse sorry to use you like the RAC but does this mean if I drive along the Codrington B4465 road coming from Westerleigh direction will I still be able to turn left up the A46 and head towards Badminton that way or is my exit/that junction from the Codrington road blocked/caught up in the bridge roadworks do you know? Sounds like the road is not useable :( If it helps others coming from that same direction I'm guessing the best route therefore if that is the case is via Yate/Chipping Sodbury/Old Sodbury to emerge on the A46 at the traffic lights higher up and then head up the A46 from there.

vickyb

Visit site
It says on the website that both events are working together to minimise traffic problems, lets hope they're good at it.

Any suggestions for those of us coming down the M5 from Birmingham?

Don't take the usual sat nav recommended route of staying on the motorway! You can get to Badminton from J. 12, 13 and 14 of the M5. The road you want to pick up is the A46 heading South, which will take you straight past Badminton. There are lots of ways to join this road, either across county, or, from J. 12 and 13, going through Stroud . Going down the M5 and joining the M4 at Almondsbury (to come back to J18, M4) will not only add 50 miles plus to your journey, it may add several hours if the traffic gets bad.

lhotse

Visit site
The road from the ringroad to Westerleigh will be shut just before the Henfield Crossroads for drainage works, so you won't be able to access Westerleigh from the Ringroad but you could drive through Pucklechurch and meet the B4465 at the top of Shorthill by the traffic lights. The road closure doesn't seem well publicised online but I believe there are notices along the road detailing it.

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Will get the map out and have a look. We never go down to the M4, we always cut across (can't remember where), the signs off the motorway usually direct you across, but even that gets busy nearer to opening time at Badders. I wasn't sure if the Japfest thing would cause even more clogging on the roads that cut across..

lhotse

Visit site
Just to update everyone, the closure of the B4465 between the Avon Ring Road and the Tormarton A46 junction has been postponed until the end of May, so the road will be open!

Rhubarb

Visit site
Bumping for those going tomorrow. We've decided to give it a miss. We're stayimg in devon tonight and was going to visit on the way home, but OH isnt horsey so not too keen and what with japfest and the weather forecast I've decided to watch it on the box instead.

ecb89

Visit site
Any tips for coming west bound on m4. Currently staying in premier inn near Swindon. Thank you :)

ecb89

Visit site
There are a LOT of Japanese cars on the road. Up side ia that they all seem to be boy racers so aren't holding everyone up!

Ax

On the road? They all appear to be in the premier inn car park! So much for PI's good night policy or whatever it's called! Not happy!

trendybraincell

Visit site
Well bloody good luck to anyone trying to get to either event! On my way back from the yard, Japfest traffic was already backed up to Allington Farm shop on the A420, so probably a good 5/6 miles!

AmieeT

Visit site
^^ that's why we left at half six this morning!

Also heads up for people driving in- have watched several cars including 4wds skidding because they're driving too quick in the car park! It's VERY slippery.