Ghost Saddle Trial - Feedback

kaiserchief

Visit site
There's been a fair bit of discussion on this forum about these saddles recently, so I thought I'd share my experiences of a Ghost saddle trial :)

I'm 5'5 and have a 13hh pony so finding a saddle that's short enough for his back but has a seat big enough for me has always been tricky. We've been riding in a Libra Trec treeless since I backed him 3 years ago, bar a two month stint in a Thorowgood treed saddle last year, and he really likes the saddle, but I find it very un-supportive, especially for fast work and jumping which are two of our favourite things.

The Libra is on its last legs now - we've done loads more in it than it's really designed for and the flaps are wearing away - you can see the foam through them (whoops!) so I've started the search for a replacement. I received a Ghost saddle on trial from Equine Whispers last Thursday (super customer service!) and have ridden in it every day since then.

First impressions: It's a really nicely made saddle, gorgeous soft leather, removable/adjustable panels (sympanova lined to reduce the likelihood of slipping), I like the Y girthing and the choice of stirrup positions. I also liked that the stirrups attached under the flap as sometimes in the summer I prefer to ride in shorts and half chaps and this setup would mean no stirrups rubbing my thighs.

11659348_10155808654285360_3156631367635177537_n.jpg
[/URL]

10369718_10155808654600360_2533141599000983276_n.jpg
[/URL]

Popped it on the pony and was delighted that it wasn't too long for him! :D

11351166_10155805614485360_1310074558405808839_n.jpg
[/URL]

He didn't bat an eyelid at the different feel so on I hopped:

11013279_10155805614655360_1354942081834743776_n.jpg
[/URL]

And discovered the downside to the stirrups being under the flaps - you have to get off again to lengthen them!

On the first day, we hacked out for an hour in walk, trot and canter. Absolutely delighted with the saddle's stability as Kai was a doughnut (much spooking and head tossing due to the flies) but he moved really nicely in it. Got back and noted a lovely even sweat mark. His back felt nice and he was lovely and relaxed. I noticed though that in trot, I kept bashing my thighs on the thigh rolls, but put it down to the pony being rather more awkward and pingy than usual.

On Friday we jumped in the arena and again, the saddle was very stable! No forwards movement on landing which has been a problem with the Libra and the thigh rolls gave me a really great feeling of security. The twist in the seat is fabulous as my leg drapes much more easily than in the Libra which helped with steering and accuracy. Pony absolutely flew so he liked it too! Only trouble was that again in trot, I was banging my thighs and after jumping he had dry marks under the stirrups.

Saturday was boiling so we did a walking only hack but incorporated lots of hillwork. The saddle is an absolute delight to ride in in walk and again, the twist makes hillwork so much more comfortable :D I love how easily my leg rests on Kai in it - lateral work is effortless! We played with shoulder in, quarters in and leg yield which he considered child's play.

Tonight we schooled for half an hour, mostly in trot and the thigh roll thing is definitely a problem! The only way I could avoid it was to rise more upright but that unbalanced Kai and made for a cranky pony who couldn't understand why I wasn't riding him properly...we do a lot of trot work so this could unfortunately be the decider for me :(

I'm getting my final ride in it tomorrow before I send it back so am planning a fast hack to check the sweat pattern again then will give it some serious thought, and maybe try and trial a few other options before making my mind up. I love just about everything about the saddle apart from the trotting issue which could just be because I'm tall and my pony isn't.

Last edited:

kaiserchief

Visit site
You can, but the extra leg support is one of the reasons I'm looking to change from the Libra to something else and in walk, canter and for jumping I really liked the thigh rolls. I've emailed my feedback to Equine Whispers to see what they advise - I don't know whether the thigh rolls are at a different angle on the Firenze saddle so that might work better too.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I've ordered mine, but this is an interesting thread because I couldn't ride in it due to my mare being unbroken and the horse I was going to try it out ridden on, went on box rest just before the trial. I think you may have better luck with the straighter angled block of the Firenze (dressage version). If I have similar problems to you then I may have to buy that seat for my saddle too. At least you can buy different seats but that's £175 extra.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
thanks. I hadn't thought about it before but most saddles with thigh rolls there are for types of riding where rising trot isn't done-western, Aussis stock saddles, Iberian saddles for example. I've always avoided dressage saddles with huge blocks as well so I think I will go for the one without thigh rolls.

Shame if it won't suit you-have us tried any of the endurance saddles or Native Pony saddles? not so great for jumping mind you (endurance)

kaiserchief

Visit site
I'm hoping the Firenze might suit if the blocks are less angled - it's the top of the block that I was hitting my thigh on, the bottom was in a lovely position. I think you're right MOC, if you did sitting trot rather than rising, the problem would never happen.

I've not really tried many different saddles on Kai as he's been so happy in the Libra so the journey starts here. The priorities are comfort for him followed by a secure seat for me as jumping and galloping on a little pony is only fun if you don't feel like you're going to disappear off the front end if he puts his head down for any reason.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It looks like the sort of block that would be really useful if it was velcro attached and you could change it dependent on what you were doing. As a tallish person on a pony I have 3 sets of blocks for my VSD saddle and like being able to shift them about a bit.

DD265

Visit site
These look interesting. What was it like in terms of feeling secure with steep hills?

I am tempted by the bareback pad!

samlf

Visit site
Does it fit differently to a tree'd saddle in that you say it's not too long on his back but does appear to be past the last rib. Does that not matter in a treeless?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Does it fit differently to a tree'd saddle in that you say it's not too long on his back but does appear to be past the last rib. Does that not matter in a treeless?

Yes, the rules of fitting them are different. Because it doesn't have a solid tree, weight is not transferred right to the back of the saddle. The important thing with treeless saddles is that where the rider sits should not put weight past the last rib. I had my saddler check mine and she showed me how this was the case because I thought it looked too long on my short backed mare.

samlf

Visit site
Yes, the rules of fitting them are different. Because it doesn't have a solid tree, weight is not transferred right to the back of the saddle. The important thing with treeless saddles is that where the rider sits should not put weight past the last rib. I had my saddler check mine and she showed me how this was the case because I thought it looked too long on my short backed mare.

Thanks, that makes sense

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I would be concerned about the dry marks under the stirrup attachments.

I would be too. It means pressure.. the skin is unable to function normally.
Isn't this the big problem with treeless saddles? They sound great in theory, but in practice they concentrate pressure in certain areas? I remain utterly unconvinced by them.

kaiserchief

Visit site
Apologies if I miss anyone's question:

cobgoblin, ozpoz and Tiddlypom, I've been riding Kai in a treeless saddle for 3 years (the Libra) and his back is superb - the only time the physio picked up problems was when I was using the Thorowgood. In the Libra we get a wonderful, even sweat mark, even after long fast rides and jumping, so my guess about the dry marks is that the Ghost just doesn't entirely suit us in the setup I used, at least for jumping. I had to send it back today and didn't get a chance to ride in it again so didn't manage to experiment as I'd have liked to. If I'd had it for longer I'd have played about a bit more with different pads, moved the panels, used different stirrup settings etc and I'm sure I'd have resolved it.

DD265, VERY secure on steep hills - no movement either forwards or back and very comfortable and supportive.

Samif, Wagtail's explained the length thing really well. Interestingly, the Ghost looks shorter on Kai than his Libra does.

jgmbng, really sorry, I don't know. The longest treed saddle Kai can take is 16" so I'd guess the Ghost is equivalent to about a 16.5" but please don't quote me on that.

Spotsrock, I've never tried a Sensation but I love the look of them. I've never trialled one though as they're over my budget and Better Saddles says the standard seat size is 17" so I'd always assumed they'd be too big for Kai.

smiggy

Visit site
I tried one for my very wide highland, I really didn't like it as it just looked completely perched. I really disliked the long length of very plasticy girth strap in contact with the horse I didn't even ride in it in her. On my little Coblet it looked much better and was very comfy to ride in but I still felt perched.

kaiserchief

Visit site
Smiggy, it's funny isn't it, how one saddle looks and feels different on different horses.

lol each to their own equi, no need to be sorry :) Wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same things.

Brightbay

Visit site
Thank you for writing it up :) I have been looking at them and wondering if they would work for me, so it's been really helpful to read.

I am using a Barefoot Cheyenne with my 13.3. Like yours, he also has a TG fitted by a saddle fitter, but he moves better and is happier in the Cheyenne (probably very similar to the Libra).

My problem :D is that the Cheyenne is my big horse's saddle, and the pony needs the Wide pommel while the big guy needs the Medium, and I'm a lazy person who can't be bothered swapping pommels once a day! So I wondered if the Ghost would suit the big fellow - he has a bit of a wither and I have to use quite complicated pads for the Cheyenne. Do you think it would suit a horse with withers? I am guessing it's also possible to use a long pad under the saddle to avoid the girth straps touching the horse.

By the way I have a Freeform SB that fits the pony, but I stopped using it because I kept banging into the pommel when doing a rising trot - my friend had a Freeform with Poleys and it was just the same - sounds similar to the Ghost.

kaiserchief

Visit site
Hi Brightbay and Baois Glas, I'm really pleased you've found the write up useful :)

I reckon a Ghost would work on a horse with withers (with the appropriate padding) as it has panels underneath to provide spine and wither clearance which you'd normally use pads to get with a Barefoot/Libra type of saddle. I'd definitely recommend trialling the saddle before buying though, and Equine Whispers were really good, getting me a trial saddle within 3 weeks of enquiring.

I used my treeless Polypad under the Ghost which kept the girth straps off his sides. I doubt he'd have minded if they'd been against him, but I preferred the fit of the saddle with the Polypad than with the Ghost pad that was sent with it on the trial.

I used to have a Freeform SB with poleys on my old mare and loved it but I think it would have been too long for Kai. I reckon the Junior that they used to do would have fitted him well but I wouldn't have been able to ride in it as the flaps were dinky and my knees would have been off the front.

kaiserchief

Visit site
lol esther, poleys are like bolsters on the front of the seat, higher up than thigh rolls. Hopefully, below is a photo of my old Freeform with poleys:

00006.jpg

Baois Glas

Visit site
I've just realized who you are! :D You used to be on NR as Showjumper and had Dolly, and Kai was a baby :D I remember your saddle,lol. You probably don't remember me, but I have Shay (was Ted) and also had treeless saddles, you helped me an awful lot when I was just getting into treeless and bitless :D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My saddle arrived a few days ago. I am recovering from a shoulder operation at present so will report back once I start work again with my mare. The saddle looks lovely. I'll post some pics too once I get going.