Girl Hitting Grey Pony

JJS

Visit site
To me, this is a pretty black and white case of cruelty. Poor pony :(

Last edited:

rowan666

Visit site
I think one of the problems is that whilst it is socially acceptable (and accepted in competition etc) to hit horses it is very hard to draw a line.

Most people think the video is wrong but many people on here thinking hitting a horse with a stick if there is napping/grazing/reluctance to jump/etc.

Where does the line get drawn either morally or legally?

Why is hitting for grazing ok but bucking not? Do we say hitting 5 times is OK but 6 isn't? It doesn't really make much sense...

Bad horsemanship isn't a crime... Lots of training methods are ineffectual/sometimes implemented ineffectually.

And being hit for not listening /is/ a punishment really. You might think it is an acceptable or effective one but it is still inflicting pain (or discomfort) after undesired behaviour.

I'm not condoning the girl but I think relying on common sense being common might be a bit optimistic...

Most people don't any longer thinking hitting adults with sticks is acceptable, many don't think training children that way is... Social change is possible but sometimes (as with the adoption of the seat belt laws) it can be hastened by those in authority setting boundaries.
I think these are very interesting points, I do not condone whipping a horse (a schooling whip used appropriately aside) I can't watch racing or most show jumping at local level because of it so I could not watch this video. I recently had to ditch my part loaners because they were seen over jumping my horse to tje point of exhaustion while the other chases her around with a lunge whip and the person who saw it said they didn't make contact with it but it is still unacceptable and whilst I honestly believe it was out of ignorance rather than deliberate cruelty Its not something I would risk happening again and I would like to think they have now learnt it's unacceptable and they have learnt from their mistake. I hope the girl in this video along with the others involved now see how wrong they were and are deeply filled with regret

southerncomfort

Visit site
It appeared on my Facebook numerous times and I just couldn't watch it. Why was the whole thing being filmed and why did she post it on Facebook? Makes me wonder what on earth the hideous girl gets up to when it's not being filmed! She thought this was just "a few smacks" and perfectly acceptable!

Same here. Didn't watch 'cos I knew it would upset me. :( It's scary that she thought her behaviour was perfectly normal and acceptable. Makes you wonder how she's been brought up!

GemG

Visit site
Unfortunately and very sadly there are lots of people out there of this ilk. Some have dogs, some have horses, some have children. She has lost control of herself, of her own behaviour and it is unacceptable.

That poor pony will be "broken" right enough and will be one of those that is sharp, shakes, won't deal well with certain situations and most certainly won't truly trust another human being. Very sad but true.

some people don't care 'how' they get an animal to do something. No trust, patience, firm but fair common sense. Common sense is lacking though isn't it.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I'm sure most people have seen the video on FB by now, lets hope she gets caught and done!!

Vile vile girl!!
What in gods name was she doing getting on a small pony like that, she is too big and heavy. There was no need to carry out that harsh treatment , let alone repeatedly hitting the poor thing.

Nasty piece of work shame the pony did not kick her, but then that would have given her more reason to hit the pony more.

Shameful

Achinghips

Visit site
Well, the only way scum like that learn is when the pony turns on her and injures her. Only then will she change her behaviour, but it will be too late for the poor ruined horse, who will be sold on.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Apparently she thinks she has done no wrong:

14910540_1141415002602534_2321974102548732478_n.jpg

Pigeon

Visit site
She seems delightful.

Whether this is true, I don't know. If it is, hopefully it's just a preliminary visit, rather than the extent of their involvement. Who knows. Can't say RSPCA could ever be described as proactive...

southerncomfort

Visit site
People on FB are saying that the pony HAS been taken away. Some are saying it was taken by the owners and some think it was seized by the RSPCA.

MrsNorris

Visit site
As I understand it, she had one on loan that has been taken back by the owner, it's not the one she abused, I think she still has that one.

AmieeT

Visit site
RSPCA had just replied to my tweet saying that this is an ongoing issue, so she must be bullshitting.

Those saying it's a grey area/when does it being an issue- have you actually watched the video? This is not a few taps for being naughty- she hits that poor pony full force over and over and over again. What a disgrace of a human being.

Achinghips

Visit site
Imagine hitting a horse so hard you actually hear the whip going through the air before the hit ........ Cor blimey !

Shantara

Visit site
I'm all for reprimanding horses when they are being dangerous or naughty. However, this is sickening.
That is not a smack for being naughty, that is outright abuse.