Giving up horses. Experiences please

indiat

Visit site
You're not really giving up horses though, you are just giving up riding them. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, there re lots of ways to enjoy horses or ponies without riding them. You still have your boy to love and cuddle and the option of lessons. I love my boy dearly but as a nervous hacker I do feel like hacking is a chore and something I dread. But I need to give him varied work and also make him the kind of pony that can go to any home should I ever (God forbid!) need to sell. I do think I prefer the pottering around much more!

bertin12

Visit site
Well I'm definitely loving the break at the moment while I decide what to do.

One minute I'm certain that it's best for me to take at least a couple months out, then the next I've changed my mind. I don't deal well with change though which isn't helping, as obviously horses have been a major part of my life for so long.

I just have to make sure I don't rush into a decision I guess

ribbons

Visit site
I think if you are questioning it at all, even a little, then you shouldn't get another yet.
Horses are a massive commitment of your time and money and while you have them you just keep doing it, almost without thinking to question it.
Once the option of not doing it arises it usually becomes clear what is right for each person.
Certainly I would wait at least a year. By then you will know if you're content with your lifestyle or feel a huge empty place.
If you're destined to have another horse then you won't be talked out of it, even by yourself.
Have a break, enjoy your time and cash, and the pleasure without commitment of your retired chap.
Time will tell if you can't live without everything that comes with full time horse ownership

bertin12

Visit site
I think if you are questioning it at all, even a little, then you shouldn't get another yet.
Horses are a massive commitment of your time and money and while you have them you just keep doing it, almost without thinking to question it.
Once the option of not doing it arises it usually becomes clear what is right for each person.
Certainly I would wait at least a year. By then you will know if you're content with your lifestyle or feel a huge empty place.
If you're destined to have another horse then you won't be talked out of it, even by yourself.
Have a break, enjoy your time and cash, and the pleasure without commitment of your retired chap.
Time will tell if you can't live without everything that comes with full time horse ownership

I think what you've said is spot on! I need to remember that it isn't necessarily permanent and can always go back. I need time to recharge and tbh I really like my riding school and am thoroughly enjoying my lessons there. I don't like the idea of leaving there!

Thanks for all the advice :)

EllenJay

Visit site
When it comes down to it, if you are a true horse person at heart, you won't stay horseless for long. It's impossible for a horse lover to live happily without horses in their life whether it be taking lessons, or owning a horse. People who give up horses and never look back and still live happily, were never horse people in the first place.

What complete rubbish. i have recently given up after having horses for over 50 years. Getting up EVERY morning berfore work to muck out and turn out, and going back every evening to finish off, ride etc after that length of time is quite enough for any human.

Since giving up horses, I have taken up photography, started an OU course, spent more time on building my business and can now look forward to early retirement. Horses are not the be all and end all of everything, but whilst they are in your life they are all consuming,

maxapple

Visit site
I've given up for now. In the summer I had to have my pony pts and at the same time moved my horse to retirement livery. I now see him every few weeks which is lovely.

I miss riding but my pony was such a unique boy that nothing else matches up and I just don't want to commit to another one. It used to be just me and him out on crazy rides together and I just don't think it will feel the same again.

For now I'm enjoying yoga and running. It's a big change but a nice one for now.

skyrock

Visit site
having a break is a good ideah however you may find the addiction to horses comes back and bites you on the backside. I gave up my last horse in 2002 only to get the bug back in 2012 now I have two Sadllebreds. When I went to my local tack shop when I was awaiting delivery of my mare and foal I was advised by the owner when I said that I thought I was out of horses forever that "it's a disease like malaria it keeps comming back" How right she was and how happy I am