Giving up smoking - anyone vaping instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

applecart14

Visit site
I've given up smoking again and am on day 12. I've been smoking for the last six months after a bit of a traumatic time earlier in the year, and before that had given up for two plus years. I was on approx 10 cigarettes a day.

I am vaping with a nicotine vaping eliquid (16mg) and plan to go onto nicotine free flavoured vapes soon. I am really pleased to have kicked the habit, but worried about starting again, as it is so tempting at the moment.

I've started getting really out of breath recently though, and wondered if it was something that people who gave up smoking went through ( I can' t remember what happened last time I gave up!). I am also starting to get a real craving, so trying to avoid any smoking areas. I was vaping in the vaping area at work but for some silly reason some people have been told they can now smoke there so I can't vape as I can't be in the same area as smokers at the moment!

I've heard about this 'popcorn lung' that is a disease caused by one of the ingredients of the eliquid but my eliquid doesn't contain this as I made sure before I started. Diacetyl is the chemical involved. Its been hugely over senstationalised in all the daily papers, and the truth of the matter is that although vaping has not been properly researched, there is 100 times more danger is conventional cigarettes than in e cigs. And no tar is e-cigs too. Last night I ordered Black Jack flavour (the sweets) and 'vanilla custard' so looking forward to those coming through the post! The ones I have already are a bit hit and miss, Chocolate was horrible, the Morello cherry is lovely, and the apple flavour is too, Strawberry I quite like, the menthol is a bit boring!

Anyone else vaping after giving up? What flavours to you recommend?

Last edited:

Orca

Visit site
I'm 17 days in :D

I vape Triphammer liquids. Blue Surprise is delish, if you like sweet flavours. I'm on 24mg and that stems any cravings (I've gone from twenty+ per day for over twenty years, to zero!). I'm less prone to becoming out of breath than I was a few weeks ago but I do find that liquids other than Triphammer can leave me with a bit of a cough.

I know vaping is unlikely to be 'good' for me but in the sense that I've at last given up the stinkies, it really, really is. I'll be whittling my mg down with the intention of giving everything up entirely but I'm not in too much of a rush. One step at a time :) and congrats, by the way!

madlady

Visit site
Me and hubby are trying :)

10 days in now and we are on max strength (24mg) menthol as I think the 'normal' one tastes foul. My plan is to gradually reduce over the next few months until I feel ready to move to no nicotene at all.

I'm really wary of using any of the non nicotene ones as I work in the chemical industry and I know just how unregulated the 'flavours' can be - they can contain essential oils which vary in strength from crop to crop and a lot of them haven't been thoroughly tested for the Vaping process. Any containing nicotene though have been through a more thorough process.

I just hope I can stick to it now!

Reacher

Visit site
I just wanted to say congratulations / good luck to everyone giving up the real ones for vaping. I'm sure it must be better health wise

Equi

Visit site
I had a similar situation to you, stopped for a long time, started back during a bit of stress and have now stopped. Had my last cig on friday. I was never really a big smoker, i would only smoke if they were there and i would only buy them if i was going out for the night and drinking (so a social thing) so i have a vape now for when i'm drinking, not touched it when im sober. I think the convenience of it can make you actually smoke MORE so you technically want more and smoke more than you would with cigs. I think you have to be strict with it and decide if you want to stop smoking or start vaping for life lol my mums on the vape for 6 years now, still obsessed with it and if she didn't have it she would have a cig in her mouth in a second.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Yep! 2 years off the cigs in April & down from 2.4 to 1.2 nicotine. Keep at it! I am not sure on the sweet flavoured liquids, I am sticking to the tobacco flavoured ones.

applecart14

Visit site
I'm 17 days in :D

I vape Triphammer liquids. Blue Surprise is delish, if you like sweet flavours. I'm on 24mg and that stems any cravings (I've gone from twenty+ per day for over twenty years, to zero!). I'm less prone to becoming out of breath than I was a few weeks ago but I do find that liquids other than Triphammer can leave me with a bit of a cough.

I know vaping is unlikely to be 'good' for me but in the sense that I've at last given up the stinkies, it really, really is. I'll be whittling my mg down with the intention of giving everything up entirely but I'm not in too much of a rush. One step at a time :) and congrats, by the way!

Me and hubby are trying :)

10 days in now and we are on max strength (24mg) menthol as I think the 'normal' one tastes foul. My plan is to gradually reduce over the next few months until I feel ready to move to no nicotene at all.

I'm really wary of using any of the non nicotene ones as I work in the chemical industry and I know just how unregulated the 'flavours' can be - they can contain essential oils which vary in strength from crop to crop and a lot of them haven't been thoroughly tested for the Vaping process. Any containing nicotene though have been through a more thorough process.

I just hope I can stick to it now!

I just wanted to say congratulations / good luck to everyone giving up the real ones for vaping. I'm sure it must be better health wise

Orca, will look up blue suprise and see if Amazon sell it, thanks for the recommendation. Congrats to you as well!! :)
Madlady, that is worrying about what you say about added chemicals. Having huge trouble finding ones that are not 'nicotine free' on Amazon though, think I might try an actual vaping/tobacco shop instead of online.
Reacher thank you for your sentiments. I really hope i can crack it this time. :)

Orca

Visit site
I've just had a look through my el's. I have Fizzy Trifle (it is actually fizzy and custardy all at once, somehow!), Cherry and Vanilla, Bellini, Tripalero (like Solero), Fruit Salad, Jelly Babies and Vanilla Custard. All Triphammer liquids. The sweet based flavours don't really work for me and the dessert ones do but without Blue Surprise, I'm not sure I'd have succeeded! I did try several tobacco flavours initially and they really, really aren't my thing. I never have been able to stand the taste of cigs, funnily enough.

AmieeT

Visit site
I was thinking of getting my OH one of these (he has expressed interest, I'm not trying to get him to give up without him wanting to!).

I have to say, a lady I work with has been vaping since Christmas (gift) and although she uses it a lot, she smells SO much better. In the grand scheme of things, that's not something to worry about, but she did smells very strongly of stale cigarettes before!

Congrats all of you :)

Orca

Visit site
AC, I doubt they'll be on amazon as these are made to order, available through the triphammer website. I've placed a few orders already and been very happy with product and service every time :)

applecart14

Visit site
AC, I doubt they'll be on amazon as these are made to order, available through the triphammer website. I've placed a few orders already and been very happy with product and service every time :)

Just been on there! Chocolate cream egg, clotted cream fudge! Ooh and palma violets. OMG I am in heaven.Cookie dough and custard cream and treacle sponge and custard! In heaven lol

Apparently they have even brought out savoury flavours on some sites!

SallyBatty

Visit site
I went straight from smoking 20+ cigarettes a day for around 30 years to vaping with 10mg nicotine tobacco flavour back in August last year and haven't touched a cigarette since. I am now using a 6mg tobacco flavour and also sometimes a 6mg mint candy flavour one. I don't like any of the other flavours I've tested in vape shops so far.

I had a health reason for stopping smoking as I was diagnosed with COPD a couple of years ago. Went for my annual check in November (3 months later) with the practice nurse and after discussing general health and the fact that I had stopped smoking and taken up vaping instead she did the usual tests and was very surprised by the amount of improvement in my air flow rates from the previous year's tests. So the nurse was very happy for me to continue with the vaping. Would therefore recommend it to anyone who wants to try and stop smoking.

I can really smell a smoker (even when they are not actually smoking at the time) in the street now or when sitting near them on public transport and its horrible. Can't believe that I used to smell that bad to non-smokers!

ozpoz

Visit site
I'm nearly three months in. I miss only the length of time it takes to smoke a real cigarette. Or perhaps it is the weather that makes it just not worth while. Cherry and menthol for me. : )
I don't miss the smelliness one bit - or the expense.

Regandal

Visit site
I switched 6 months ago. I couldn't justify the money any more. The amount saved covers my livery and hay! I also cannot stand the smell of stale cigarette smoke. Now on the 1.2 strength, will drop it again soon.

wills_91

Visit site
Well done to all that have stopped! My partner vapes and has done for 18 months now however I don't think he will give it up fully as im quite convinced he is addicted to the e cig as much as real cig! However at least the smell is no more.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
My BIL was told to give up smoking due to chest problems and started using the vapour ones instead, he has become very ill with a rare form of arthritis which his consultant thinks may have been caused by them but nothing has been proven as yet.

jmd481

Visit site
I started vaping about 6 months ago and haven't touched a fag since after smoking 20+ a day for many years I thought I would really struggle but not once have I thought about smoking cigarettes since starting to vape..... I love ice mint and usually do half mint half strawberry.... I don't like anything to sickly so the mint just gives it a nice kick...... I'm not very adventurous so stuck to these

jmd481

Visit site
Also my breathing is so much better I couldn't walk for before without coughing or being out of breath and every morning would cough up horrible manky stuff but that's all gone now and I have my taste back which is awesome

Orca

Visit site
My BIL was told to give up smoking due to chest problems and started using the vapour ones instead, he has become very ill with a rare form of arthritis which his consultant thinks may have been caused by them but nothing has been proven as yet.

That's very unfortunate. As I said earlier, I doubt vaping is good for me but I can't seem to find any definitive evidence that it's not, unlike cigarettes. The issue is that health problems from long term use aren't likely to become apparent in the general population for a number of years and even then, given most will be ex smokers, it will be difficult to ascertain what illnesses may be caused by prior smoking and which by vaping. Given there are between 4000 - 7000 chemicals in cigarettes (nearly 100 of which are proven carcinogens, among other known toxins) and only up to four *benign substances in properly produced eliquids, I know which my money would be on but I'd be very interested in knowing more about the link your BILs consultant believes they may have found?

*ok, nicotine might not be benign but we know what it is and what it does :)

Copperpot

Visit site
I've been vaping over a year now. Was on 30 Malborough lights a day. I Vape 3mg nicotine now. Started off on 24. I can use nicotine free and be fine but my favourite liquid didn't taste as nice in 0mg. I love all the sweet juices, custard cream, donuts and cookie style ones!

Orca

Visit site
Well done guys !

can anyone point me the direction of a good vaporiser ? I did buy one of ebay but its really not very good !

I started with an iTaste vv/vw until one day, after just a fortnight of proper use, it inexplicably stopped working. In a fit of near panic ( :D ), I bought a cheap and easily accessible Vapouriz Tank from my local shop and I was pleasantly surprised. Everything tastes as it should in it and the battery lasts reasonably well. The only thing I miss about the iTaste is that it was a 'passthrough', meaning I could vape while it charged but that's easily overcome by having a second battery or planning charging effectively. Having variable voltage on the iTaste was also fun but not really necessary for me. I really just want something that does the job, without fuss and is which it is easy to pick bits and bobs up locally for.

Iwantakitten

Visit site
Oooh I will be 2 years not smoking in March. Started on a vaporiz tank and not looked back. I now have various batteries on rotation as the ce4 is multi compatible. My local petrol station sells the clearomisers for £1.99 and find they last a couple weeks if you use a liquid which is high PG rather than VG. I find they tend to clog up with VG and you get that burnt taste. My preference is the fruity flavours, I like apple, blueberry and cherry and get them 3 for £10 from electric tabacoonist. They also do free delivery which is often next day! Started on 18mg and gone down to 12mg now.

I can breathe so much better and can smell and taste better so it def is an improvement. I used to smoke around 10 rollies a day before. I agree with the convenience making you use it more. When I am off work I find it is always in my hand. Also had a cheeky puff on a friends cigarette when out drinking and it was horrible!

Smitty

Visit site
Hrumph. I would, but I can't seem to fill the wretched pens.

I got a vapor pen from a local shop with a couple of liquids (bubblegum and strawberry) that had nicotine in. Filled it successfully and off I went.

A few days later I mislaid it and got another which I could not fill, got a couple more off ebay and can't fill them either, so smoking again as it is easier!

Think i'm going to try the nicotine spray thing.

I gave up for 5 years once by reading the Alan Carr book but During a very difficult time started again. I must say I found the vaping easier in that respect.

Sprat

Visit site
You are all doing so well!

I quit for 6 months around 2 years ago, and then decided to sell my mare who I just didn't click with but thought the world of. The stress and upset of it had me reaching straight back for the smokes again and I've been smoking since.

I really want to stop but I'm quite concerned about the amount of weight I'll put on - I put on nearly 3 stone last time. I'm getting married this year so don't want to be a chubby bride!

I know that in the long run I can lose the weight and be healthier for not smoking but I'm not sure I can face the idea of quitting yet (along with the pressure of the wedding is the pressures of an overbearing mother AND mother in law trying to arrange the wedding for me)

I tried patches and vaping last time which seemed to work.

Has anyone done it with just vaping and no patches??

ozpoz

Visit site
Yes, me.
I can see the difference in my skin too - you will be a glowing bride! Just keep stepping outside to (a) vape and (b) get away from people stressing you and it will all be fine. : )

Orca

Visit site
Me too, just vaping.

I wouldn't imagine the weight gain would be as problematic as stopping without vaping. A lot of that comes from snacking 'for something to do' with our minds, mouths and hands. Given vaping occupies the same space as smoking, there's no need (and I've found no inclination) to overeat too ��. So long as your exercise level/ calorie expenditure and calorie intake remain the same as before, you won't gain.

classic_astra

Visit site
i went from smoking to vaping after smoking cigs for 17 years, i am on my 7th week! im on 16mg with the curve vapor "stick" i havent struggled half as much as i thought i would. the first few days were the hardest, more out of habit than anything. best of all its only costing me £20 per month, as cigs were costing me £200!

Status
Not open for further replies.