Goals for next year? Please share!

catembi

Visit site
I have had a 4 yo TB since August who is a replacement for a brilliant ISH with PSSM who was a replacement for a brilliant QHxTB with PSSM...

We are doing groundwork lessons atm. Next year I would so much love for him to be rideable. That would be a triumph. Anything more would be a bonus. There is a complication which I won't go into on here, but if we can overcome it, I will be so thrilled. I am having expert help.

millikins

Visit site
Lots of goals to share between me and daughter.
Keep old connie ticking over, maybe take him to the beach (brave pants needed)
Get Dales mare fit again after maternity leave, get her broken to drive, possibly find her a sharer who likes ridden showing.
New connie, get her restarted, she was purchased when daughter pregnant and mare very anxious and upset, she's had 5 months of getting fat and chilled and a bit cheeky so ready,
Sell the Landy, take out a loan and buy a lorry, hopefully overcome my neurosis about towing and travelling long distances in an ancient vehicle.
And a few others.

ImmyS

Visit site
Hi Immy, I always love a Finn update! Hope he enjoys his hols :)
My aims are to get another horse next Spring (been without for 3 years). I should have quite a good budget by then fingers crossed. Also the end of next year I want to finally go on a bucket list trip of a ranch holiday in the states xx

ohh very exciting!! Happy horse hunting for next year!

ImmyS

Visit site
I have had a 4 yo TB since August who is a replacement for a brilliant ISH with PSSM who was a replacement for a brilliant QHxTB with PSSM...

We are doing groundwork lessons atm. Next year I would so much love for him to be rideable. That would be a triumph. Anything more would be a bonus. There is a complication which I won't go into on here, but if we can overcome it, I will be so thrilled. I am having expert help.

I really hope you overcome the hiccup and can get cracking! I have followed your posts and you deserve a break. Fingers crossed for you!

Caol Ila

Visit site

Oh no! You really deserve a break!

FFAQ

Visit site
I am so bored with hearing myself make excuses about both myself and Barny Horse being overweight so next year's goal is condition Score 3/5 for both of us.
Hopefully my damned plantar fasciitis will disappear if I lose some weight and we might achieve the hack 1000 miles challenge we failed miserably at this year!

catembi

Visit site
TY for the support! Roy is very laid back, very cuddly, loves his groundwork & learning new things, fine with tack, rugs, not a panicker, e.g. will stop & wait for assistance if he's got tangled up, should theoretically be very easy...but has a blind panic in relation to mounting. Think rodeo horse wearing a buckstrap. We have been steadily ruling out sources of pain while continuing to do groundwork. His history is sketchy at best & I simply don't know what might have happened to him. He is such a kind, gentle soul in all other aspects...trim, loading, etc. The very experienced groundwork lady has a feasible sounding plan. We will see. However, the grass warts are dropping off at the rate of knots, so I can cross that off the ambition list!

JJS

Visit site
The plan for Flower this winter is to keep her hacking little and often. By spring, hopefully we’ll throw some schooling into the mix too.

Mary probably won’t do much over winter as I’ll be focusing on Flower, but the occasional hack here and there would be nice. I’ll mainly just be keeping her ticking over.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
My goal for winter/next year is to bring my boy back into work following surgery for PSD. At the moment we are doing ridden rehab in walk only. Hoping to build him up very slowly and carefully over winter and fingers crossed in the new year he'll be sound enough for a bit of variety - he's finding this walking malarkey very boring at the moment!

J_sarahd

Visit site
My goals are:
1. complete a novice dressage test
2. be confident and comfortable around an 80 event with views to affiliate
3. complete a 90cm show jumping course (preferably clear but definitely no stops)
4. go to trailblazers and not stop at the water tray

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
My goals are:
1. complete a novice dressage test
2. be confident and comfortable around an 80 event with views to affiliate
3. complete a 90cm show jumping course (preferably clear but definitely no stops)
4. go to trailblazers and not stop at the water tray

This water tray ?? This was me at Trailblazers championships probably around 2008 ish?
FB_IMG_1588359696344.jpg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
no plans here, too much up in the air, but hoping to get then 4yo TB going under saddle and may attempt to get then 2yo WB to some little outings as her life has been oh-so sheltered up to now. though as this year has totally not gone according to any kind of plans, probably won't do any of that :rolleyes:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Get my intermediate horse back archer qualification, keep training Fell pony in archery and Trec, possibly (if brave and thin enough), break the Exmoor pony. Exmoor pony is 12 and does everything else but have always been too heavy and scared to ride him. I can no longer use that excuse and he will love a job. Possibly look for a youngster-either a NF or a Dales, preferably not a weanling. Hopefully at some point do an overnight camping trek with both as have been training Exmoor as pack pony, although think Fell will make better pack pony lol. Might even be an in-hand trek to start with.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Maybe it will be the year I finally get my own, although I said that about this year! Definitely wouldn't be until the later part of the year anyway.

I've been surprised how much I've enjoyed starting jumping again so one goal might be to do a small course/clear round, or to be able to jump 70cm in lessons. I'm not sure what is possible with current share but I've still never been able to have a go at online dressage which has been something I wanted to try. Another livery at share horse's yard mentioned they do this so perhaps we could have a go if owner happy with this.

Whatever I do I'd like to be riding more consistently than I have been able to because of work. I'm finishing my current job next month and planning to take a break for a few months so might look to volunteer somewhere horsey or see if I can do some work for rides at RS (is this still a thing?!)

stangs

Visit site
Hard to make plans as I don’t know what my horse situation will be. But it’d be nice to have a change (maybe get lessons in an entirely new discipline - any recommendations?), and if I could find a nice route to thruhike and photograph feral ponies, that’d be more than enough.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have decided not to have any plans for Ludo except to enjoy owning and hopefully riding him. All my plans for other horses for the last 15 years or so ended up falling apart one way or another. I'm feeling too old to start all over again with fixed goals and I know I don't have the motivation to work hard enough to make them happen if I had any. We'll have some lessons, do some riding club, school at home and hack when the weather is kind and that will do fine.

Joe is simpler because he's only 3 and nobody thinks he has superstar talent (unlike Ludo, who I've been told to aim for PSG or higher) . So the plan is to get him to the other side of the winter in one piece doing basic walk/trot/canter for 15 minutes in the arena or a w&t hack of half an hour. Then next year get him out and about to some riding club stuff and some longer hacks and fun rides. He's a lovely little chap to have around, so I expect to keep him until he's 5, and then see how things pan out.

lottiepony

Visit site
At the risk of ruining it all by making plans I would like to...
1. Ride my actual riding horse who has had all manor of problems, fingers crossed we've got there and he will be a happy boy...
2. Compete in some driving classes with Frank the Shetland pony who has become my main competition horse due to sick note horse above lol

Visit site
Hopefully I will get the Shetlands out to some more shows but all the shows round here use the same 7 or 8 judges - they just rotate around the shows every year ?? so it becomes very predictable who is taking home the rosettes hence I don't often bother wasting my time or money.

I will be holding the Shetland Pony Show again next year as it was such a hit this year. I may try and put on a racehorse show again but I would need to know competitors will come. In 2019 over 100 people said they would come. A week before the show I had 10 entries. Yes a lot more appeared in the last couple of days and quite a few people entered on the day BUT the stress of it all was way too high! The show only just covered its costs between sponsors and entry fees and I am not sure I am willing to toe that line so closely again.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I refuse to make plans...but I think its OK to have 'aspirations'!

So it'll be a quiet winter for Bo. The weather here in winter is pretty awful and I usually give up mid December and turn them away until mid to late January.

Aspirations for 2022:

Hack lots.
Overcome extreme social anxiety and join a RC!
Take Bo to Guy Robertson's yard to do a cattle working clinic.
Maybe do a very, very basic online dressage test. I'm no dressage rider but good to challenge myself I think.
Would love to do TREC but absolutely nothing anywhere near me.

And really hope I can finally get running again after 2 years off due to eye problem and then a badly torn calf muscle.

Flame_

Visit site
I cocked up early this year being too slow to realise horse's saddle was wrong and hoof balance was wrong. Spent most of the year rectifying those mistakes, then poor horse got cracked heels (in August!) so have spent the rest of the year rectifying that.

Next year's goal is to prevent more stuff going wrong sooner and hopefully keep horse sound and happy enough to take round the Welsh mountains more next year.

smolmaus

Visit site
Short term: get her to new stable and settled safe and sound

Longer term: expand the very pathetic Rescue Class at the local show next summer. If me and my friend both enter with our matching brats that will be it doubled! I am thinking I won't have her backed till spring so the working hunter baby classes may have to wait till 2023.

HackWithMe

Visit site
My goal for next year is let my boy see the world a bit more. Get him out to some more in-hand (or not) shows. Get him cantering on a 20metre circle as he’s unbalanced atm. Maybe try some jumping? Who knows what’s ahead but I’m excited?