Going rates for DIY/part/full livery?

marmalade76

Visit site
Afternoon. Having lost my companion (a horse I had on loan from a friend that she decided to have back after sadly losing her other horse) I thinking about taking on a livery at my rented yard - it would be nice to have some company, someone to ride with whilst saving/possibly making some money at the same time. OH is dead against me getting another myself and with current horse prices & rising bills, I can't blame him!

We have all year round turnout available, large 12×14 airy rubber matted stables, running water, electric, school with jumps, ok hacking - a few bridleways, ex horse owning YOs living on site & retired so there most of the time meaning it's safe & secure, share with one gelding. My hubby & I do all ground work, remove muck, etc and we would include hay & straw (OH makes it). I could offer DIY, part or full livery, as a lady of leisure, I have the time. So what should one charge with these facilities? We're north Gloucestershire if that makes any difference.
Cheers :)

Uliy

Visit site
I used to pay £520 for full livery with similar but slightly less good facilities (rubber matting not included & only one-ish bridleway).
the only thing to consider with part livery is that you’ll never get a day off/ need to arrange cover when you’re on holiday. But I suppose it’s not too much of a burden to have one more if you’re already doing your own every day!

mavandkaz

Visit site
Not quite your area, as I'm north Hampshire but sounds like a lovely set up.
Round here DIY can be anything from £200-280 depending on including hay/bedding
Part livery £500-600 depending on facilities etc.
As above, make sure you are able to give yourself a break. Maybe 5 day part livery instead of 7 day.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Maybe post that on the location forum? I would charge about $1100-$1400 a month.
jeepers I charge

£ 220 4 weeks diy

£ 498 part but that is 4 weekly £ 535 if calendar month

£ $1400 per month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am doing it too cheap.

I do 7 days a week some weeks but mostly I do 6 days a week

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I pay £185 for DIY livery (plus extra for assistance) currently. Would assisted DIY work for you, as it might be less commitment?

One yard near me does flexible part livery too - a minimum of 2 or 3 days full care with a B/I or T/O on the other days - worth considering as it would give you defined days off.

The only thing I'd question, is of there are only two horses whether it would cause issues if one horse was left when the other was riding especially if the livery goes off site a lot?

ihatework

Visit site
I’m south Gloucestershire and I can get DIY of a similar set up for £50/week incl Hay & Straw or £155pcm excl hay & straw

livery - so 7 day care, basic groom/rug, basic hard feed, hay/straw. No riding or tack cleaning, £120-130/week for a smallish set up

marmalade76

Visit site
I pay £185 for DIY livery (plus extra for assistance) currently. Would assisted DIY work for you, as it might be less commitment?

One yard near me does flexible part livery too - a minimum of 2 or 3 days full care with a B/I or T/O on the other days - worth considering as it would give you defined days off.

The only thing I'd question, is of there are only two horses whether it would cause issues if one horse was left when the other was riding especially if the livery goes off site a lot?

Mine is fine on his own and has been since new year but it's not fair long term. Obviously the fact that there's only one other horse that will be going off site for riding will be made clear to any potential liveries so if their horse cannot cope with that, it wouldn't work for them. I've had just two at any one time here for three years and they've all been ok left in the stable whilst the other goes out, they've just done a bit of shouting.

Last edited:

marmalade76

Visit site
I used to pay £520 for full livery with similar but slightly less good facilities (rubber matting not included & only one-ish bridleway).
the only thing to consider with part livery is that you’ll never get a day off/ need to arrange cover when you’re on holiday. But I suppose it’s not too much of a burden to have one more if you’re already doing your own every day!

I've been doing two for years, I'm just not replacing one so it won't make any difference to me other than costs.

marmalade76

Visit site
I’m south Gloucestershire and I can get DIY of a similar set up for £50/week incl Hay & Straw or £155pcm excl hay & straw

livery - so 7 day care, basic groom/rug, basic hard feed, hay/straw. No riding or tack cleaning, £120-130/week for a smallish set up

That's really helpful, thank you ?

Melody Grey

Visit site
Not sure where you OP, but I’m in the East Midlands at DIY livery and pay £40/wk per horse to include hay and straw.

your set up sounds lovely, I hope you get someone you can get on well with and enjoy :)

AntiPuck

Visit site
For similar facilities in West Mids (although, with excellent hacking and 2 schools) i'll be paying £400pcm for 5-day, £600pcm for 7-day full livery, if that helps.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
If you were close to me I would be paying whatever you want, what a fab set up!

I am also in W Sussex and it's about £150+ for DIY nothing included, £10 per day if you wanted cover on that DIY, £550 5 day part, £650 7 day part.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
West Sussex - I currently pay for DIY £175 pcm per horse for individual turn-out, partially lit 30x60 school and fab hacking on a yard with about 12-13 horses. No extras or services.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Mine is fine on his own and has been since new year but it's not fair long term. Obviously the fact that there's only one other horse that will be going off site for riding will be made clear to any potential liveries so if their horse cannot cope with that, it wouldn't work for them. I've had just two at any one time here for three years and they've all been ok left in the stable whilst the other goes out, they've just done a bit of shouting.

Sounds like it would be ideal then :) Good luck finding a new livery!

marmalade76

Visit site
Not sure where you OP, but I’m in the East Midlands at DIY livery and pay £40/wk per horse to include hay and straw.

your set up sounds lovely, I hope you get someone you can get on well with and enjoy :)

Yes, thank you, I know I'm very lucky, my YOs are great too, knowledgeable, helpful & great in an emergency. Whist I'm sure that there are many that would jump at the chance, we need the right person with the right horse (one that doesn't mind being left on it's own while mine's ridden and no cribbers, that's the husband's one rule 'cause he has to fix the fencing!)

As for where I am, the easiest thing to say is I'm near Cheltenham, most horsey folks know where that is ?

marmalade76

Visit site
If you were close to me I would be paying whatever you want, what a fab set up!

I am also in W Sussex and it's about £150+ for DIY nothing included, £10 per day if you wanted cover on that DIY, £550 5 day part, £650 7 day part.

??

£10 a day for turn out / bring in & muck out? When I say full livery, I was thinking this, in other words basic care + basic feed provided, no exercising or tack cleaning.

Widgeon

Visit site
As it's your own yard, I think I would do some sniffing around for the right sort of person - ie someone you have a fighting chance of getting on well with. Maybe someone who's a friend of friends, or something like that. Then if you have ballpark figures worked out for the various kinds of livery, you can offer them whatever setup they need. Given that you seem able to offer any amount of services, I would prioritise finding the right person over advertising any particuar kind of livery. But as the others have said I would avoid full livery - I wouldn't want full responsibility for someone else's animal, all the time, no matter how much they were paying.

FWIW I pay about £260 per month assisted DIY, including forage and very basic feed. Ours tend to stay out 24/7 as we have well managed grazing but it also includes straw if they have to come in for a few weeks over winter. We have YO on site, a really nice outdoor floodlit arena, and good hacking. But I'm in N Yorkshire so I suspect it may not be all that comparable - I am regularly appalled by what people pay for livery Down South! Good luck working it all out and finding someone, I hope it's successful and brings in a bit of useful extra money.

P.S. If you take on a livery does that affect the rates and insurance etc that you pay on the yard? I am clueless about such things but I'd probably be worried about that.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think usaequestrian is young, perhaps still a child, as she has referred to herself as still growing on another thread.

marmalade76

Visit site
Do you really want to do full livery how will you cope with holidays being ill that sort of thing .

Just the same as I did when I had two horses of my own. We don't really do holidays anyway (my husband is self employed in agriculture), two or three days in Cornwall every few years is about it for us.