Grazing muzzle despair!

pistolpete

Visit site
So what do I go for Thin line or ultimate. He’s a highland with a chunky but not long head. Face is really sore with the conventional one.

Widgeon

Visit site
I've only used the Thinline, and I do rate it - however it probably depends which bit of his face is getting sore? If it's his nose that's getting rubbed, then the Thinline might be a good bet as I found the muzzle itself didn't rub at all. However I did put a sheepskin noseband cover on my horses's headcollar because the noseband was starting to rub from being on so much - I think I'd have had that problem regardless of what type of muzzle was attached to it.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I didn't find a grazing muzzle that didn't rub tbh. However you can buy headcollar sheepskin sets that velcro on to the grazing muzzle straps, or you can buy deep pile fur fabric by the metre from eBay etc, that you can sew around the muzzle and places that are rubbing, even with a plaiting needle and thread. It made a big difference to the rubbing. ?

AntiPuck

Visit site
I think the Thinline has more potential to rub, because not only can the rubbery part rub, but the headcollar you use can as well, even with fluff - plus the headcollar needs to fit right, etc.. I'd be tempted to try the ultimate first, as it's way cheaper and fewer elements to faff with, in my experience.

It looked like, in the photos you posted, you're dealing with chin and 'under the face' rubs, which the ultimate shouldn't touch, but a headcollar probably will.

Last edited:

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
My ISH with ridiculously sensitive skin had rubs under his chin, on his nose, on the side of his face after two days with a muzzle so I share your pain. The ones under his chin were completely raw and took ages to heal so he’s been muzzle-less. In the meantime they’ve eaten the field right down so at least he’s stopped expanding for now

pistolpete

Visit site
Yep all rubs under and including chin.

Attachments

• 19184BA2-09E5-43AB-BEC2-0315EBF6E8A6.jpeg
    19184BA2-09E5-43AB-BEC2-0315EBF6E8A6.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 5820C834-6FF4-41D5-BD40-09886F88D148.jpeg
    5820C834-6FF4-41D5-BD40-09886F88D148.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 32

pistolpete

Visit site

MuddyMonster

Visit site
The Ultimate grazing muzzle didn't last mine long at all - about 90 seconds in total!

I'd go for the Flexible Filly Thinline personally. I've got through a couple but IME they are more robust.

Ditto using fleece or some other kind of cover to stop runs with any of them. I use vaseline before putting it one too.

SmartieBean09

Visit site
I have the Thinline and bought their headcollar to go with it as horse is always susceptible to rubs. It still rubs and I’ve covered it in fluff. However out of all the muzzles I’ve tried, it probably rubs the least and horse is happiest in it. When it comes to rubs vs unhealthy horse, I will take rubs all day long.

scats

Visit site
I use the thinline muzzle and the girls wear them from 6.30pm-8.30am every day. The only rub Millie gets is on her nose off the head collar, but it’s just a loss of hair rather than a sore.
Other muzzles rubbed them both raw.

skint1

Visit site
I've got a Flexible Filly Thinline, not yet used it as we are a bit short of grazing at ours this year, not terrible but not abundant, and that's good for my horse :) My mare is an ID and has a massive head, they have advice on their website on what size to buy, it fit her well.

scats

Visit site
Think I’ll try the thin line. Now sizing and fitting?

My girls are both 15hh, cob sized in things and I went for the cob/small horse (21” I think). Fitting initially is a bit of a faff, use the temporary twines til you get your desired fit. It can be trial and error too and you might make adjustments over the first few days. I buy a cheap bulk pack of cable ties from home bargains as well. Millie prefers hers close to her lips, Polly likes a bit of distance.
I didn’t buy the thinline head collar, just use a normal field safe. But other people might suggest the head collar too.

Marnie

Visit site
I have the thinline and haven't had any problems with the muzzle rubbing but have put some sheepskin pads around the noseband. It has been surprisingly resilient, I thought that it would tear really quickly but has lasted over a year.

ecb89

Visit site
I’ve got the flexible filly. It rubbed where he worked out how to get his nose through one of the gaps in the side but after I tied the sides together it’s fine.

Boulty

Visit site
Does anyone who's tied the sides together on a flexible filly have any photos of how they've done it? My little pig has started eating out of the side of his & would like to stop him doing that!

lottiepony

Visit site
So I didn't have either but used the Greengard muzzles in the past on 2 of mine but I did the below to stop any rubs, I would say the same could be applied to others?;
- Both had extra fluff added round the headcollar bottom strap, taken off and washed/replaced regularly
- I used brown parcel tape on the side of the muzzle that the chin touched, smooth side up and then put Vaseline on that.
Doing the above stopped any rubs appearing after I found out the hard way with the first one!

Pen

Visit site
I use a Shires Deluxe Comfort Grazing Muzzle on my cob with no rubbing. I go up a size so it is loose around the nose and jaw. She has a new one every year as the hole in the bottom gradually gets bigger with use.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Does anyone who's tied the sides together on a flexible filly have any photos of how they've done it? My little pig has started eating out of the side of his & would like to stop him doing that!
Duct tape on both sides, about an inch from bottom. (There are two at my yard using this).

GoldenWillow

Visit site
On a previous cob I used a greenguard muzzle that after being used for a while started to rub. I tried sheepskin and various padding but what stopped all rubs completely was silage tape over the areas that rubbed. It made it slide rather than rub which is why it worked so well I think and also it didn't hold water.

MuddyMonster

Visit site

I use cable ties horizontally to bring them closer together.

daydreamer

Visit site
muzzle side.JPG I used a leather shoelace. It worked well at stopping him eating out of the side. Sadly now he just stands on his muzzles and breaks them all so I can't use one! :rolleyes::mad::(

Oh and for those who are worried about it rubbing I used sheepskin sleeves on the headcollar, sowed neoprene fabric on the front of the noseband and used a gel chinstrap protector pad thing at the back where there was a buckle/metal ring.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I have two different brands of muzzle, both leave slight rubs but in different places so by switching between the different muzzles weekly, neither area get particularly sore.

I also bought sheepskin offcuts and attached this to the particular areas where he rubs.

A vet said it wasn't the muzzle rubbing but the amount of force the horse was putting into getting the grass through the muzzle that meant rubbing was inevitable with muzzles.

mustardsmum

Visit site
I used a leather shoelace. It worked well at stopping him eating out of the side. Sadly now he just stands on his muzzles and breaks them all so I can't use one! :rolleyes::mad::(

Oh and for those who are worried about it rubbing I used sheepskin sleeves on the headcollar, sowed neoprene fabric on the front of the noseband and used a gel chinstrap protector pad thing at the back where there was a buckle/metal ring.

OMG thats genius and such an obvious solution to those naughty side grazers!! Never occurred to me to do this, so thanks for posting. Maybe FF should rethink the side grazer issue because I think both mine do it and it seems a common issue. I will lacing up my boys muzzle as soon as he goes back out on the grass. He's in for a shock!

Getbackboys

Visit site
i hate them. they rub the face, horses cant breathe nicely, they wear down the teeth, they cause stress all of these have an impact on horses welfare. turn horse out at nite, stable other half of the day, fence off area, strip graze, exercise even lunge if cant be ridden.