Grazing muzzles

chaps89

Visit site
Has anyone tried an ultimate muzzle? (They're the new version of the easy breathing muzzle)
Struggling to keep the shires muzzle, which mine has mostly worn without objection to, on her at the moment. No idea why this year she has decided she won't wear it but it's off every day without fail.
Equally is anyone still using greenguard muzzles? I really regret selling mine for a tenner years ago :( know they're more expensive but are they worth it? My old boy used to get rubbed terribly by them.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My two wear Dinky muzzles with no rubbing anywhere and they keep them on. They also have good nostril clearance so no problems with breathing. Hate Greenguards with a passion they are horrible pieces of torture equipment, poor B was rubbed raw when I had to use it in an emergency last year. I’ve not heard of the Ultimate before.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
My two wear Dinky muzzles with no rubbing anywhere and they keep them on. They also have good nostril clearance so no problems with breathing. Hate Greenguards with a passion they are horrible pieces of torture equipment, poor B was rubbed raw when I had to use it in an emergency last year. I’ve not heard of the Ultimate before.

^^^^^

I am a fervent Dinky fan and have just ordered a new one. I have used them on several ponies, with great success.

Their only downside is that they do need replacing - mine is usually wearing one from March to Oct/Nov and I get a fresh one each year.

No rubbing , much harder to get off (and the ponies don't seem to want to get them off) and so am sure that in hot weather they are more comfortable than a bucket one.

Doesn't affect teeth either - I have had no issues with any of mine wearing them.

chaps89

Visit site
I looked at the dinky muzzles but wasn't sure they seemed to fit much differently to the shires ones and was worried the plastic clip might be bulky and uncomfortable? Also, slightly less concerning currently admittedly, can they actually eat through it at all as it looks like there is webbing over the vast majority of the bottom? Feedback from people who have actually used them would be great as I have seen them recommended on here before

DirectorFury

Visit site
Mine got on fine with a Dinky Muzzle but couldn’t figure out how to eat in a Shires one at all.
It did rub her really badly on the bulb of her chin though, I sewed a strip of satin in the muzzle and that worked for a few months until the satin got roughed up. She’s going to need it again this year so ideas for anti-rub fixes would be great!

SEL

Visit site
Here's the Spring 2020 Greenguard design :rolleyes:

She can eat through it but gets annoyed by it. Only rubs when the grass is wet, but I don't think its doing her teeth any good. Luckily its generally just on for Spring until I can track the field.

Mine hates anything that's a bucket style. She has a small dent around her nose which makes me wonder if a headcollar was left on too long when she was a baby and its very sensitive there. If anyone has any non-bucket designs that still let them eat a bit then I'd be interested.

splodgy mask.jpg

fairhill

Visit site
I used a dinky muzzle last summer. She ate from it fine, but it did rub her chin. She won’t eat at all through the shires muzzle.
I’ve bought an ultimate muzzle to alternate with the dinky but haven’t tried it yet.

Edit to say, she seemed to push the dinky sideways and eat through the nose holes most of the time. She’s a bit speshul...

HelenBack

Visit site
I'm reading this thread with interest as I'm looking at buying a muzzle at the moment. Can anybody advise on sizing of the Dinky muzzles please? He's a 15hh Connie, wears a cob size bridle but he does have wide-ish head and their website is suggesting he'd probably need a size XL?

Bernster

Visit site
Mine is in a green guard which seems to work better than the shires but having read comments about teeth, I’ll try the dinky one when that one is knackered.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I'm reading this thread with interest as I'm looking at buying a muzzle at the moment. Can anybody advise on sizing of the Dinky muzzles please? He's a 15hh Connie, wears a cob size bridle but he does have wide-ish head and their website is suggesting he'd probably need a size XL?

DP is 15hh with a fine head and B is a 14.1 Connie with a wide head. Both are in cob sized bridles and both wear the XL sized Dinky muzzle.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Frank was fine with a dinky, he just ate through it a bit quick for me to warrant replacement every few weeks. Never found the clip a problem and in some ways it is a lot nicer than the bucket types as lighter and less bulky.

supertramp

Visit site
I use a green guard, it is the only muzzle that has stayed in place, despite energetic rolling and ear scratching, he doesnt seem worried about having it, hes so keen to go out to the field and it keeps him safe.

chaps89

Visit site
@SEL - ah, I see you have a similar problem!

I definitely think the dinky looks nicer for them than the ultimate which does look very enclosed, albeit I feel like it might be more likely to stay on!
Or would she be more likely to keep the dinky on as it's less restrictive in the first place? ?
Bit expensive to replace often but if it will do 2 or 3 months that would be ok I suppose. I usually get a season of use out of the shires ones.
I've found a 2nd hand greenguard on preloved which I'd like but all depends on if they can post it atm (as well as if it's even still for sale!) Thinking maybe alternate between the 2?!

Wizpop

Visit site
Another vote for the Dinky muzzle! Used for the first time last year and horse accepted it with no problem at all. I’ve actually got 2 now so one can go in the wash when needed!

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
I have the ultimate muzzle for the shetland. She fits the XS dinky size which would be the preferred option except she chews through them too frequently. Smallest shires was too small and next size up was too big!
Ultimate is designed to be a lot more spacious than others. It worked quite well but she does tend to each from one side and push it so it did catch her eye a little bit. I think this year in will get a dinky and maybe alternate each day.

holeymoley

Visit site
Can anyone tell me if the dinky muzzles actually have a hole at the bottom? The photos look like the don’t.
I have a shires one but would like something with more nostril space and the ultimate looks pretty good.

ester

Visit site
No they don't they have thick webbing strap they are supposed to eat from the sides, so it is a slightly different technique to one with a centre hole but F managed the dinky to centre hole transition fine.
The very first dinky I got I did cut a hole in the bottom of it so he could work out that he could eat at all as it was all a bit new.

I do think the dinky's often stay on better because there is not a hard plastic bit to rub along the ground and attempt to flick off ;).

Laura2408

Visit site
Wow ? it takes a whole summer for DP to do that.

She is an expert at removing muzzles. The shires ones don’t last much longer either, those usually end up around the chin after 30 mins or so no matter how tight it is.
She managed to scrub the dinky along the floor until she got her teeth around the hole part and just chewed through it. By the time I went to get her the next day it was almost in half and useless as she could get her nose through the hole and stuff her face, waste of money for me although I preferred the design of the dinky over the other bucket types.

Think I’ll try greenguard next ?

Julia0803

Visit site
May I ask, how do you find them size wise, particularly in comparison to shires?

He has a reasonably chunky head and usually wear a full on almost smallest holes or cob on largest. He has a shires one with the fluff (which he hates). It’s a large size, so full, but it’s on the cusp of being too small. I think he must have a comparatively fat nose! ?‍♀️

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Chaps, I'm furious, I cannot locate the big muzzle, I know where it should be, but it's not there. Will do another search tonight but it's odd as the wrecked mini muzzles of Tiny Fuzzy should be with them, as I keep for spare parts, they are missing too!

Nasicus

Visit site
May I ask, how do you find them size wise, particularly in comparison to shires?

He has a reasonably chunky head and usually wear a full on almost smallest holes or cob on largest. He has a shires one with the fluff (which he hates). It’s a large size, so full, but it’s on the cusp of being too small. I think he must have a comparatively fat nose! ?‍♀️

If you're talking about the Dinky ones, their largest size is a lot smaller than the largest shires ones. I bought the largest dinky back along for fatmare (14hh built like a brick outhouse with a massive head) and couldn't even put the bucket end on her nose. She ended up with one of the shires confort grazers in extra full.

ester

Visit site
Frank had a L size dinky (am pretty sure I went by their measurements, but I just searched on my email to check and it was 6 years ago!)
cob size shires.
standard cob in everything else head wise.

Leo Walker

Visit site