Great Livery Yards - post about yours?

ApolloBaby

Visit site
Becca 84's post about being nervous because she'd booked into a livery yard and had heard so many horror stories has got me thinking. As many who post here are looking for help and advice, there are naturally lots of stories about bad experiences floating around. But how about the good ones? Tell your story about a great livery, YO, other liveries who are helpful/good/fun to be around?

Mine is a small, family-run place with a very professional YO who maintains the place beautifully, has an excellent land management plan, keeps the yard on a worming/vac schedule, carts us to shows and schooling sessions, invites other coaches to teach us as well as teaching herself, advises on knocks and scrapes, makes her own amazing haylage and looks after every horse as though it were her own, and treats them as equally important whether they compete or hack. She's brilliant, and I can't believe my luck in being there. She's careful about who she takes on, both horse and human, so that the yard is calm and inviting, and we're all friends. I look forward to being there and hate it when I miss a day. The horse is happy as can be, and he glows from the inside out.

So - post about your fantastic yard, lest everyone think the world is full of chancers and nutters (of which there were several at my last yard...)! :p

Parker79

Visit site
Good idea - mine is wonderful.

YO's are in it for the love of the horses, nothing is too much trouble, they vet the people...not the horses and will not tolerate any bitching.

All the people are lovely and very supportive. We drink too much tea and eat too many biscuits!...its a hard life!

shadowboy

Visit site
Mines Brill. Only been there 2 month but I love it. There are 18 owners and genuinely everyone is so kind and we all help each other out. I've already been offered lifts to shows. The girls all sorted howie between them while I had to go in to hospital for an emergency op. The facilities are superb. 30x40 outdoor; 18x38indoor; 1 kilometre gallop track and miles of hacking. Not a strand of barbed wire to be seen and plenty of grass with each field having a field shelter! It's got a lovely vibe and the YO is flexible and very nice. Love it!

EllenJay

Visit site
jJust moving to a new yard tomorrow (due to a house move) - but would like to tell you about the yard I was in for the last 5 years. YM is fab, will accomodate (if possible) all horses needs. Absolutely no bitching, fab hacking, great school. I hated having to leave, so just hoping my new yard will be as good

fidleyspromise

Visit site
The past 2 I've been on are brilliant :D

Current One: I have a fab social life, not heard anyone bitching, everyone loves my ponies, I get to spend more time with ponies.
YO asks after ponies and chats to horse owners. YO will let people know whats going on and helps people where she can.

Ponies are chilled, I'm happy and I'm getting results from both of them :D

Batgirl

Visit site
Love my yard. Yo's (Hus&Wife) treat all horses as if they were grand prix horses (when one livery who has left now said 'but my horse is worth more money' about some silly gripe, YO said 'all these horses are priceless to their owners'). Always happy to do bits extra (first aid, extra walker, small T/O pens etc). All the owners are lovely, no bitching, lots of helping for feeds, T/O, lifts to shows etc. Wouldn't leave unless I absolutely had to.

BeckyMason97

Visit site
Honestly could not ask for a better yard!

YO is very very relaxed and a very good friend, I'm practically in charge of the yard.
YO lets me use his prestige saddles on my horses, save having to fork out money when I bought them, and he gave me a pessoa saddle completely free!
YO turns out, changes rugs/boots etc for free, and feeds in the morning completely free.
We have auto drinkers and rubber mats and YO lets me use unlimited shavings and haylage.
YO allows us to use tractor so never have to wait for a new bale of haylage.
YO has taught me ridiculous amounts. When I moved I fell off if my pony stopped at a jump, I can now sit to refusals, run outs, broncs, bucks, rears, spooks, anything.
YO is quite happy for me to get horses on to reschool and sell for other people and is more than happy to help, in the same way he reschools for people and I help him.
I have my own private tack room.
All of the horses get on ridiculously well and haven't seen any kicking and fighting in the field for months, no more lame horses!
School is always empty, we get full use of a full set of show jumps, if we want to build a course we can.
We have a huge field to gallop around as well as MILES of hacking.
Only four other liveries, one of which is full livery and you hardly see. But everyone is lovely and we all get on great, looking forward to lots of BBQs and big hacks in the nice weather!

As you can tell, I rather love my yard...

BeckyMason97

Visit site
Oh and not to mention, YO will take me anywhere I like in massive posh 5 horse wagon, complete with fancy living space and cameras, completely free!

ApolloBaby

Visit site
Love my yard. Yo's (Hus&Wife) treat all horses as if they were grand prix horses (when one livery who has left now said 'but my horse is worth more money' about some silly gripe, YO said 'all these horses are priceless to their owners'). Always happy to do bits extra (first aid, extra walker, small T/O pens etc). All the owners are lovely, no bitching, lots of helping for feeds, T/O, lifts to shows etc. Wouldn't leave unless I absolutely had to.

Proper order, Batgirl - aren't they all priceless to those who love them, whether GP dressage horses or beloved aged ponies? Good for your YOs, and good riddance to divas who think that all horses don't feel the same pain, hunger or want. Horses have no idea about their relative market prices, do they? Just want the carrot!

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
My YO's are like my best friends, I see them more then I see anyone else.

They are awesome!! I cant actually move house, because I wont move yards.

They helped me when I had problems with Ted (v.naughty stage)

They watch Mya while I ride for me.

Drove ted to the vets for me.

Ahhh the list is endless of all the things that make them so great.

TiaPony

Visit site
Love love love my yard. 100 acres of dedicated grass livery, with an all weather 25m x 60m school and a farm ride.

Lovely YO who is always contactable and a great support network within the yard.. We all get on quite well despite the varying levels of experience and differing disciplines.

I kissed a lot of frogs to find such a great yard and I hope to keep my horses there for many years. :)

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
My yard is also absolutely fab :D

YO treats all the horses like they are her own, and is always available for advice if needed. She does not tolerate b1tchiness, and I think she picked people who were nice so that we would all get on. The other girls on the yard are just great - we go out hacking together, help eachother in the school, and will be off out showing and stuff together soon too.

The facilities are great - a 60x40 school, 6F gallops, and miles of offroad hacking straight off the farm. She also has a roundpen and equissage available for us if we want too. My horse has never been happier :)

mhorses

Visit site
glad to see a livery thread that is positive for a change.
i am just thankful i have my own yard and field.

Farma

Visit site
I moved yards at Xmas and can't believe my luck, the owners are lovely and very understanding. The yard is beautiful and I feel so lucky to have a place there. There is nothing too much trouble for the groom and I really feel they have the horses and the liveries best interests at heart. I think I have found livery heaven!
Oh and several of the liveries are instructors others are high level dressage riders so always help on hand :)

redredruby

Visit site
It is so nice reading about lovely yards! :D

I think my yard is fab too - I have kept my horse there ever since I bought him (from the yard) so not only is help always on hand but they know him so well and are able to advise if I ask (he is my first horse).

The thing that I think is really nice is the balance between letting owners get on with things, there is absolutely no unnecessary interference, and providing support and advise when asked.

When I broke my wrist they immeadiately stepped in and looked after him as needed whilst I was in hospital, it was a massive relief knowing he was fine and I could concentrate on getting better.

The facilities are fab and they are always working hard to keep them in good working order.

I don't think I could ever move!!