Greetings....from my hospital bed

Carlosmum

Visit site
Well, 2023 started well. I had a lovely lunging session with the young pony, and he was booked to go to boarding school for a little rebacking. 24 hrs later I found myself in a n e, following a heavy fall onto concrete. I am now 4 day post full hip replacement. At 59 it's not something I had ever thought about. My accidents usually involve ribs and horses. So now I have to deal with the recovery which so far has been bl**dy hard work. Pony is going to stay with my Mums lot for the foreseeable so I won't need to worry about him. I am facing weeks of being 'looked after' by MIL oh dear! But the upside is she won't ask me to do anything for her. Hoping to get home in a day or 2. Just want to be able to walk as far as the loo!

Peglo

Visit site
Oh no! What a crappy start to the year. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope your not in too much pain.

Baywonder

Visit site
Oh blimey I'm so sorry to hear this. ?

Wishing you a speedy recovery - but look on the bright side - at least you can spend more time on this forum to help pass the time ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
You have had a total hip replacement ?
No one will have to look after you for long , it gets easier very quickly and really all you have to do is walk walk walk .
Both of mine are replaced the most recent after a silly fall jumping apart from the bit where I had wait four hours for an ambulance it was very easy I was operated on the next morning and home the morning after I would have been home the evening of the op but I had my usual low blood pressure issue.
Unless you are very unlucky it’s an easy easy rehab yes it hurts a bit at first but the more you do the better it gets .
Do your exercises and walk and you will be back to normal quicker than you think.

cobsandbassets

Visit site
I'm four and a half weeks post hip replacement. It really does get easier but you must do your exercises and try not to over bend (the most frustrating restriction). I'm walking with one stick for light support and using my litter picking tool to pick up stuff out of reach.
Went to see our horses for the first time yesterday and managed to skip out and do feeds which felt wonderful. My lovely husband has looked after me but us horsey folk are used to being busy and active so it's not easy is it especially if your surgery wasn't "planned"? Good luck with your recovery x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I went to stay with my friend who had a hip replacement in October. After a week, she said that she no longer needed me there overnight (in a bungalow). The worst part for her was that she had a bad reaction to the Codeine but she was discharged by the consultant before Christmas and is living normally now.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Blimey. I don't know what I would do if that happened to me. Horse would be looked after but I'm not sure who would look after OH (for whom I am the carer) or me!

Best of luck for a speedy recovery to all of you who are currently convalescing.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I’ve had 3 hip ops, long storey, and for the first one my brother stayed for 2 weeks as I live on my own. My sister had my dogs and horse was out 24/7 with friends looking after her. I was much better with the second one and he stayed for a couple of days , the 3rd one no one stayed but my neighbour popped in morning and evening to make sure I was ok. The first one is a bit scarey but you have to trust that it will hold and do lots of 5 min walks to start with, don’t immediately push to do 20 mins or more , and don’t walk on uneven ground try and keep to pavements rather than rutty or muddy grass..it gets less painful quite quickly but take the pain relief as that will help you to exercise and also help with sleeping. As someone else said sleeping on my back was really difficult, but I got through it 3 times . Good Luck

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
A helpful tip, if you have a Zimmer frame tie a basket on to it so you can put stuff in it like sandwiches etc, my neighbour used to do a thermos of boiling water for me and bring my cup, coffee and spoon and put on the table by my chair so I could have hot drinks when I wanted as to carry a hot drink from the kitchen to the living room was pretty much impossible