Greyhound and diarrhoea!

monkeymad

Visit site
I have a 9 yr old greyhound. For the past year or so he has suffered from diarrhoea on a regular basis, he is fine for about 2 or 3 months and then he will suffer from awful diarrhoea for about a week. The vets first of all gave antibiotics, altho his stool samples have always been clear, and the diarrhoea did eventually clear up (after about 7 to 10 days).

However, as this pattern of awful diarrhoea is happening so regularly, I have a feeling he has some dog form of colitis or IBS. It is almost altho' his bowel becomes sluggish, and the diarrhoea he suffers from is like an overflow.
I am reluctant to keep giving him antibiotics as I really find it hard to believe he can be picking up a bug so regularly and the diarrhoea isn't particularly offensive (as in an infective way).

He is fed on chudleys sensitive dry food mixed in with a tray of wainrights hypo-allergenic meat.
I would be really grateful if anyone has any advice on a more suitable diet or has experienced anything similar. (My cream carpets are taking a real battering!!)

Thanks.

RuthnMeg

Visit site
I've been told to feed dogs with dodgy tummies chicken with cooked rice. What the theory behind that is, I am not sure.
Worked with the lab I knew though.

monkeymad

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. I will get some pro-biotic yoghurt for him tomorrow. I do put him on chicken and rice when he has these upsets, and had changed his diet to the hypo-allergenic meat (from a resting greyhound dry food), and for a while everything seems fine....and then he has a another week of diarrhoea. I will google the raw meat diet as well (he has never suffered from diarrhoea after having a supper of fresh bunnies!) Thanks again.