Grooming and horse care tasks that I’ve never learned to do

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Prompted by another thread, I confess that though I admire them, I do not know how to create quarter marks. I also can’t plait tails 🙈.

I can do most other stable management/grooming tasks, including plaiting manes, clipping and trimming, and I trim my own horses‘ feet, but I’ve never cracked those first two.

Anyone else like to fess up to gaps in their equestrian stable management CV?

Last edited:
Visit site
Clipping. Never fancied learning. I am not good with fiddly things. I can clip hair off wounds / injuries / mudfever etc. But no desire to learn to fully clip.

Clipping is easy. Clipping well is hard.

Plaiting, pulling, trimming, Clipping etc are all things I have learned to do whilst working in racing.

Haven't quite mastered sharks teeth though!

dottylottie

Visit site
i can plait a mane, but my tail plaits are also awful - i plait the “wrong way”, so i put the middle over the outside, not under, so i’ll never be able to get it properly straight🤣 i have no reason to plait a tail so i’ll be sticking to my plaiting methods lol.

Tarragon

Visit site
I can probably plait a tail as with three daughters plaiting hair was the norm! I have never had to do it in earnest on a horse though - the beauty of having Exmoor ponies!

BMA2

Visit site
I also cannot plait a tail or a forelock...my forelocks are another mane plait.
But my mane plaits do stay in.
I am too impatient to clip.
I struggle to cut a tail straight too.

expanding_horizon

Visit site
Clipping is easy. Clipping well is hard.

Plaiting, pulling, trimming, Clipping etc are all things I have learned to do whilst working in racing.

Haven't quite mastered sharks teeth though!

I’m not good at painting my nails / other people’s nails, doing hair / makeup etc. if I did clip it would be messy which would annoy me for the effort and investment in buying clippers. I’m also blessed with horses easy to clip and only needing 2 clips a year.

I can under duress plait proficiently but that’s a necessity for competing regularly that I’ve mastered.

Widgeon

Visit site
I also can’t plait tails 🙈.
Plaiting tails - me too. For some reason I just never cracked it. Other teenage girls tried to teach me (more than once!) but twenty years on I still can't do it.

(I can't do a straight plait down the back of my own head either so there''s probably no hope for me)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I haven't ever pulled a tail, I've never seen the point. I can plait a full one, I think it looks lovely.

I can't clip straight lines to save my life.

I can't tie a quick release knot that will come apart in a hurry unless it also falls apart when it doesn't need to.

Julia0803

Visit site
I can do a very nice tail plait…… can’t do manes at all…. Solved that problem by clipping and hogging.

But technically he should, I suppose, have a pulled tail… but I can’t do that either!

Caski

Visit site
I also cannot plait a tail or a forelock...my forelocks are another mane plait.
But my mane plaits do stay in.
I am too impatient to clip.
I struggle to cut a tail straight too.
Forelock plaits are my nemesis, having shown for 40 odd years, I always leave this to an 'expert', don't know why I have never perfected it either!

Kunoichi73

Visit site
I'm absolutely rubbish at putting on rugs! Granted I don't have to do it very often as I don't have my own. I always end up putting them on inside out and I really struggle to do up the little twisty metals fasteners of the straps that go under the belly!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Ooh I love clipping (well), trimming, plaiting manes and tails, brushing in quarter marks freestyle, "pulling" manes and tails where required (ie using a knife and a comb, not yanking it out by the roots like a barbarian) but one thing I've never tried to do and absolutely never will, is cutting a mane :eek::eek::eek:

I used to plait 12 manes and tails three mornings a week all winter, your fingers get very strong :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Can plait manes either with bands or thread, can clip and ok with straight lines, used to do an Irish clip on my later horses and full clip when I was competing … cannot plait tails , have been shown lots of times but they defeat me, luckily my friend was expert so she did them for me. Used to love doing quarter marks on my dark bay and my black horses

Birker2020

Visit site
Can plait manes either with bands or thread, can clip and ok with straight lines, used to do an Irish clip on my later horses and full clip when I was competing … cannot plait tails , have been shown lots of times but they defeat me, luckily my friend was expert so she did them for me. Used to love doing quarter marks on my dark bay and my black horses
I used to have one of those quarter mark templates. I always think they looked better faintly done, more subtle.

You could vastly improve a horses conformation with well placed quarter mark's.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The last time I plaited a tail was over 40 years ago, never needed to since and no inclination to either.
Have plaited many manes and could do a good job I reckon even now with bands or thread ✔
Pulling, trimming, quarter marks and sharks teeth etc ✔
Clipping, again not done it in years, prefer to cross friends palm with vino or similar 3 or 4 times each winter. Tho no doubt I still could if I had to.✔
Shoe removal ✔
Rasping and trimming ✔
Dressings, bandaging, jabbing meds etc ✔

Actually 🤔 cant think of much I havent done (sorry TP!)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I can't bandage without them falling down when working as I get so vervous they're too tight, same reason I've never bothered to learn to bandage a tail properly.
I also can't plait a tail or forelock (but also can't french plait, I have had ear length hair for 15 years so not needed to)
Can clip, but can't blend legs..