Grooming kits

HashRouge

Visit site
Anyone bought a complete grooming kit recently? Trying to find one with good quality brushes for a reasonable price. My sister's got a new pony :)

Or am I better off just going to the local tack shop and making up my own?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I'd love the Renwick and Sons grooming collection which comes in a steel box. A mere snip at £400. How much do you love your sister ?

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'd buy some individual Haas brushes. I dithered about them for ages, but have never regretted getting them. Mine are a couple of years old now and not showing any signs of age :)

Surbie

Visit site
I did mine individually - still bought lots of stuff that I have never used - like those long-bristled flicky brushes...

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
How old is your sister? Youngsters don’t necessarily appreciate or look after a nice set of brushes so a set aimed at children may suit. If she’s older then yes definitely buy individual quality items and if your budget is generous then Haas brushes are nice,

NinjaPony

Visit site
Make your own! The le mieux grooming bag is great though, plenty of room for brushes and handy outside pockets, plus easy to wipe clean. I have 3 haas brushes and they are great, I give them a clean every month or so and they look like new every time.

HashRouge

Visit site
does anyone ever use those flicker brushes on a horse?!
I used to use them all the time when I was a groom. They are great for getting the dust off a clipped horse, or for just giving them a quick brush before riding. We used to use them rather than body brushes.

I think I'm going to follow the advice here and do a DIY grooming kit. That way I can pick and choose a bit more about what she gets. I want to put in some useful extras too, like saddle soap and coat shine. She's 25, so I could get her nice brushes but I think the HAAS ones plus all the other basics would be a bit expensive for me!

Pippity

Visit site
I'd buy some individual Haas brushes. I dithered about them for ages, but have never regretted getting them. Mine are a couple of years old now and not showing any signs of age :)

I splurged on some a few weeks back. I've never seen a winter coat shine like that, even with Blue's love of rolling in mud puddles.

atropa

Visit site
does anyone ever use those flicker brushes on a horse?!
Yes. Always used them for flicking dust off coats, and more recently have found that they really help to get stable or mud stains out of my thin-coated grey mare's coat without irritating her.

Alibear

Visit site
Yes. Always used them for flicking dust off coats, and more recently have found that they really help to get stable or mud stains out of my thin-coated grey mare's coat without irritating her.

Another with a grey mare and yes its a godsend, I actually bought it 4 horses ago and they have all liked it.

HashRouge

Visit site
Well I popped into my local tack shop yesterday ready to mix and match my own grooming kit, but I wasn't very impressed with their selection of brushes. However, as I was about to leave I spotted a fab little complete grooming kit. It's a blue Bentley Slip Not grooming kit, with 8 different grooming items and, best of all, a handy carry bag with a waterproof lining. The brushes look nice quality and the whole thing is super smart. It wasn't too expensive either - should be perfect for my sister!