GSD puppy

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Oh he's lovely! Silly question - will his ears stay like that (1 pricked, 1 floppy)? He's so floofy and cute!

As I understand it, it is not unusual for GSD puppies to go through a floppy ear stage. They have somewhat large ears, and for some it takes awhile for the cartilage to keep up. I've heard that it is unusual for their ears to stay floppy as adults, but that some can inherit what is called "soft ears" in Sweden, but you won't know for sure if your puppy is one of them, until they're around 8 months old.

Moobli

Visit site
Oh he's lovely! Silly question - will his ears stay like that (1 pricked, 1 floppy)? He's so floofy and cute!

There’s no history of “soft” ears in his lines so I’m confident they will both be pricked as an adult. It’s fairly unusual to get soft (or floppy ears) in GSDs but it does happen.

GSD pups are born with soft ears but between (usually) 8 weeks and 6 months they become pricked. During the teething stage ears can alternate between being pointed or floppy (or one of each).

Ears both up this morning 🙂

F34F4B72-5BF7-4491-8B5A-3CDE9BC7927E.jpeg

SadKen

Visit site
Oh my word, he is just adorable.

My older lad's ears took nearly a year to come up - he looked like a bat for about 2 months, then had what we called 'helicopter ears' for another 2, where they stuck out to the side like rotor blades. Our young lad's ears were up at 8 weeks.

Yours looks like he is trying to contain the cheekiness but can only do it for the photo. Just lovely! I hope the photos continue on this thread as he grows :)