Gt Witchingham?

Gamebird

Visit site
Sorry to be boring and predictable but every one seemed so gloomy last week about the chances of this event running and I wondered whether anyone had any updates?

dafthoss

Visit site
Yep I was at pc area dressage yesterday and it was very very wet :( ground was squeltching under foot in the warm up and the arenas near the xc start were very deep and boggy mud baths after a few tests. There was lots of standing water when we left early afternoon and they had a tractor ready to pull the lorries out (thankfully we were in a land rover with decent tyres). Unless it dries out considerably then I doubt it will run and I certantly wouldnt be happy to jump on that ground.

Last edited:

Horsemad12

Visit site
Or just have a weekend off and drink wine (You can see what stage I have reached with regards to it all!!)

Fingers crossed the sun will shine at some stage soon!!

Fanatical

Visit site
Laura Collett has 'tweeted' that she has spoken to the team at Great Witch and they are confident that it will go ahead.
I find that hard to believe but I suppose best to be glass half full, than half empty! :)

Gamebird

Visit site
She's got two in my class. Am not looking forward to the unfavourable dressage comparisons!

Shipley

Visit site
Seeing my friends photos from area dressage the going looked awful :-( I seriousally hope they run and can see they are still desperate for volunteers so all the signs of running are there but I guess the weather will tell and the forecast for this week doesn't look good. Fingers and toes crosse though.

mrussell

Visit site
BWF very rarely abandon an event. The xc course drains really well and although the flat lorry park/jumping and dressage field gets mullered when waterlogged, the xc course rides safely.

If youve got a horse confident at the level youve entered then I would say you'll be safe. Thought if youre expecting a lot of skidding and chipping in, you might want to reconsider....

Thistle

Visit site
an email I've been sent from someone who was there on Sun
Dressage arena's at top of the hill across the field from the start box where fetlock deep by 2.30 (test's had started at 8am) warming up in that area when pony halted sunk by 2". Lots of well studded ponies where slipping or pulled out. looking at the approach to the 90 and below fences where very muddy, with puddles but big fences were fine. Down by the score board area squelchy under my feet ( no ponies allowed down there).

Couldn't tell you what the bottom dressage area's ( where I guess they normally are) where like by the end of the day where fine at 10.30.

Wandering round the lorry park ground perfect and we got off in a lorry at 4.30 without being towed off.

Hope that helps

MardyMare

Visit site
Gosh I really feel for you eventing peeps. I am fed up of just not being able to get out - never mind having put in all the fitness work and schooling etc for event after event to be cancelled. Seems a bit of a wasted year for many. I hope you manage to get out somewhere Gamebird. :)

Gamebird

Visit site
Thanks Thistle. Can't decide whether that sounds hopeful or not! Nothing to do but wait and see I think. Already spent a lot of money in SJ outings, dressage lessons, gallops and XC schooling (tomorrow) to make up for the missed prep runs so hope it goes ahead, not eventing is costing me a fortune!

meardsall_millie

Visit site
GB - I'll be banking on helpful texts from you to let me know what it's like.

Don't fancy getting up before 4am to do the 3 hour journey to get there in time for a 9.15 (ish) dressage, only to find it's too muddy to risk running, and then turn around and drive all the way home again :(

Gamebird

Visit site
Are you on on Sunday? I can deffo let you know as our class starts SJing at 8am so will be up feeding rather early I suspect. Just don't trust any ground reports you get after the first half-bottle of wine on Sat night.... ;)

Bearsmum

Visit site
Walked the course this afternoon with little dog and it's really not as bad as some of the posts are making out. Yes the PC dressage was deep, but they are not the arenas being used for the BE, they were at the top of the hill which is always soft even in dry weather, the BE arenas are on the harder ground near the lorry park.

Talking to David he's confident it will run and all preparations are underway to ensure it goes ahead. The XC has a good covering of grass all take offs and landings are prepared and the only standing water I saw was not on the course.

Not saying you might not need a tow off the lorry park afterwards but Rob is always ready with a tractor!

Will happily give updates later in the week if anyone wants, I live neareby and keep my horse there so am there on an almost daily basis.

JD

Bearsmum

Visit site
No, Cocker wasn't even swimming when retrieving her ball! Bounding through but I've seen a lot lot deeper.

JD

Bearsmum

Visit site
Rain Monday night, rain Tuesday, rain Tuesday night!

Still the good news is that today is bright with some sunshine and looking at the weather forecast the rain should pass south of us tomorrow. A couple of dry days would be very welcome.

Last night they were busy putting extra gravel on the take offs and landings and preparing contingency changes of course if required - there is a summer and winter course at Great Witchingham.

The ground is 'good' to 'soft' but not squelchy, and the water jump still only comes half way up a cocker spaniel!

JD

Gamebird

Visit site
Thanks! Having been in a Labrador's Ears depth water jump yesterday I think we should accept 'dog height' as the SI unit for measuring water jump depth!

oap

Visit site
thanks bearsmum... much appreciated! Fingers crossed we dont get anymore.. love "dog measure":)

strictlyhorsey

Visit site
Spoke to folks at Grt Witchingham this morning, Wednesday, and as far as they are concerned its all fine and they will be running. They are running on the spring course which will help. As far as I understand they are adding an extra 5 pounds to cover all the work they have had to do, my phone connection kept fading in and out at that time, and I was so pleased to hear they were still running that I didn't think any more about it but now am wondering if I heard him correctly.

Gamebird

Visit site
Spoke to folks at Grt Witchingham this morning, Wednesday, and as far as they are concerned its all fine and they will be running. They are running on the spring course which will help. As far as I understand they are adding an extra 5 pounds to cover all the work they have had to do, my phone connection kept fading in and out at that time, and I was so pleased to hear they were still running that I didn't think any more about it but now am wondering if I heard him correctly.

Cool. I have no real XC worries as my horse should love a bit of mud, our dressage might not look so bad if the really smart horses struggle in the conditions :p but the SJ does give a lot of cause for concern. Have been out BSing (on a surface, obviously) but we run at the end of our section and it could be pretty horrific by the time 40 horses have jumped round :(

alidegg

Visit site
Having been at the areas on Sunday and had a nosy at the course I wouldn't run on it. The BE dr arenas have been hideous to ride on after not as heavy rain, the sj arena will be cut up after the first section and the xc had pools of standing water on... But the sun could still save the day! ;)

Horsemad12

Visit site
Having been at the areas on Sunday and had a nosy at the course I wouldn't run on it. The BE dr arenas have been hideous to ride on after not as heavy rain, the sj arena will be cut up after the first section and the xc had pools of standing water on... But the sun could still save the day! ;)

That does not sound good and I have a long drive.

I kind of get the feeling that they will try and run regardless and I would rather not jump out of bottomless mud :-(