Gut supplements

C1airey

Visit site
What do people use and how quickly do you expect them to work/wear off?

Little mare had colic about 6-7wks ago. All sorted and once it was cleared, she came back from vet with a gut supplement to help keep things settled. We finished the supplement a week or so ago and I didn’t think much of it - she’s been spot on ever since and we haven’t looked back. No other changes to tack/routine/work/diet, but she’s been girthy the last couple of days and this morning, downright stroppy.

I’m quite happy to go buy another tub of the stuff from my vet and keep her on it, but it would work out at £70ish a month. My experience with joint supplements and my old boy was that once you find the one that works, it’s worth whatever price is on the tag, but you need to find the one that works. Is it the same with gut stuff?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Some more knowledgeable feed types may be along in a bit, but I am struggling to work out just what is in this supplement that merits the cost. Plus I wouldn’t ever feed soya, so I don’t get past the first listed ingredient.

Product Overview
Assists in maintaining optimum gut health and function through a unique formulation of prebiotics, amino acids, seaweed extract and specific minerals. Always consult your veterinarian if your horse is showing symptoms of gastric ulceration.

Feed Materials
Extruded Full Fat Soya, Calcium Carbonate, Fructo-oligosaccharides, Magnesium Hydroxide.

Griffin

Visit site
I am no expert at all but it looks like it has prebiotics in it (the fructo bit). If it was me, I would try a cheaper pre/probiotic and see if it has similar impact.

I feed my mare a gut supplement from Hack Up Bespoke and it has made a huge difference to her (we have been using it for over two years now). However, if you don't want to internet shop, you can pick up Protexin Gut Balancer in most feed merchants for not much money.

Green Bean

Visit site
Keyflow pink mash is a good option as it has protexin in it already and is really good for horses. However, it is for the hindgut, there are two other stomachs before that. I would ask your vet as there may be a path you need to follow that perhaps wasn’t made clear to you?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Feedmark ultimate ease has similar ingredients.
I have used it before on a few horses and found it has done a good job of just keeping things settled.

eta
Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), alfalfa meal, magnesium hydroxide, Yea-Sacc®, mannan-oligosaccharides (MOS), Beta glucan, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, magnesium carbonate, kaolin, lignocellulose, peppermint, hydrolysed wheat glutamine peptides, pectin (5%).

they always have offers on which brings the cost down.

TPO

Visit site
I've used a couple of the feed mark gut supps before (they might have changed forumla) with reasonable success.

Neurotic TB gets science supplements gastrokind. Out of every supp that's been tried it has worked the best for him and hes now only on 1/4 of the recommended dose.

He gets fed (a currently minimal amount) Pink Mash too and does well on it

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I use Protexin gut balancer, it seems to work well. Horse is quite sensitive and this keeps everything reasonably firm, even when on new grazing etc. It isn’t expensive either!

I used this after his livery yard changed his feeding brand and amount, and changed his turnout routine (without telling me - he's on full livery because I travelled for work at the time) leaving him starting to show some signs of stress which I feared would lead to ulcers.

I used this to help him get back to normal and also support him while I found him a better feed regime and move him to another yard. I only used one tub, he's been fine ever since but should I need to change feed or start to show discomfort again, I'll be adding this straight back into his routine.

splash30

Visit site
I have started one of mine on Gastro pro by The Equine Edge, I'm really happy with the results, actually mind blown, as I'm the biggest skeptic on supplements, and find most pointless and a con.
This has turned the horse around and I now have a different animal.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yeast on its own does a tremendous amount of good. Either 50g of brewer's yeast or 15g of yea sacc. I feed it daily to all horses.

ecb89

Visit site
When my horse colicked my vet asked what supplements he was on. As he was in brewers yeast the vet said that was great and didn’t need the ‘after colic supplement’ they were going to prescribe

onemoretime

Visit site
I use Equinox Original. Not the cheapest but it seems to work on my mare and a big tub lasts for months.

I alo use Equinox original and find the horses do very well on it and their coats are shiny and hooves growing well. I dont even feed the full amount I give 2 x 15mil scoops a day, one in each feed. The large tub last for over 4 months.

PurBee

Visit site
Another thumbs up for protexin here....worked well on sloppy poops and general girthiness. I use it a few days before worming and for a week after too, to prevent gastro upset. For the price its great...and stores well as it comes in a strong airtight tub.

SEL

Visit site
I've just started Max Gut Health after a friend shared a discount code. I've got the pony who does cowpats on it and the mare with a history of ulcers. Friend swears by it.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Yeast on its own does a tremendous amount of good. Either 50g of brewer's yeast or 15g of yea sacc. I feed it daily to all horses.
Please may I ask type of brewers yeast do you use? I went to google it after your comment above and there seem to be quite a few choices. I think I will order whatever you recommend for Prince.