Gutted- suspensory tear

Dizzydancer

Visit site
So following my vibes needed thread much to everyone's surprise the scan showed a tear in the proximal hind suspensory aswell as the expected inflammation in flexor tendon sheath.
So we are now looking at 8weeks box rest with a rescan next Friday and likely PRP injection when they scan her.
Absolutely gutted- she has no clinical signs of suspensory and the vet nearly didn't scan that high up as she is only swelling at flexor tendons distally.

Just hoping with treatment and rest she comes right.

Farma

Visit site
Sorry to hear this :( mine had a Suspensory issue, I like to know the ins and outs so I went to an rvc lecture which you can view online if you want to find out all the pros and cons of treatments available.
There is a psd group on fb if you want to read about other peoples experience, good luck!

Hannahgb

Visit site
Sorry to hear this. My vet was also amazed when they found PRP in my horse. They were so certain it wouldn't be, they nearly didn't bother checking.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery xx

leflynn

Visit site
Mine did a front suspensory a few years back (along with a tendon later and a couple of fractures), still sound after a long period of rehab, still jumping, does dressage, xc, hunts so its not all doom and gloom :)

I fed MSM, box rest, used magnetic boots and also used ultrasound on the effected area for 20 mins a day

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sorry to hear this but my horse did exactly the same last year he had quite a hole there, he too had prp treatment and nearly 4 months box rest he came back into work last September his been fine and I am back to hacking and schooling like before I just don't do very small circles and keep the schooling sessions short, so it doesn't always mean the end of the road it can heal, I would just take it really slowly when you can start riding I walked for 6 weeks starting with 5 minutes until I was doing over an hour then small bursts of trot to start, I also rode on a variety of surfaces grass, road, tracks and eventually the school. keep us updated with the progress :)

Dizzydancer

Visit site
That's great to hear success stories! The vet was as positive as they ever are and just said it's very common and just takes time and patience! I'm more than happy to do that with potential to have a good outcome, just don't want to do it without one!

Brightbay

Visit site
Mine injured his front suspensory 12 weeks ago - a large core lesion, the vet said she could see a 1cm hole.
He did about 4 weeks strict box rest, then she rescanned and was surprised at the amount of healing. I had got hold of a red light pen and had been using this twice a day for 10 minutes on and around the area of the injury. At that point she gave us an exercise plan starting at 5 mins twice daily, working up to 20 mins twice daily at 8 weeks - he was slightly lame again mid way through this so we rested another week then continued and by his second recheck, when vet was so pleased with his progress she asked to see a little trot, she was happy for him to start getting a little turnout, starting with a few minutes twice a day.
We're now on three months. If you didn't know he'd injured himself, he would seem quite sound on straight lines, over all kinds of surfaces (he's barefoot and his turnout has been on his all weather track with his quiet friend who has been with him all through his rehab). He is up to about 40 minutes exercise daily, although still occasionally uncomfortable downhill.
If all goes well, vet thinks he can go back out to a small fenced off area of his field a month from now.

I feel the red light pen has made a huge difference to the healing time - it was recommended to me by a physio I know who had happened to be at a conference where some research was presented at the time I mentioned he'd injured himself. She said they seemed to be cutting healing time dramatically, and from what I can see, we have definitely done that. The swelling and lameness was so bad at the start that the vet was preparing me for the worst.

So although we were depressed when we realised what the injury was, it's clearly not the career-ending (or, indeed, life ending) injury it used to be. I would suggest researching everything that *you* can do - our aim was to be able to do as much as possible ourselves using non-invasive treatments, and to be able to do it daily. I also had a lot of help (and invaluable support and calmness) from my horse's physio, so getting a good team who are all working together helps enormously as well.

Visit site
I've known racehorses to come back to race on again with no further problems from every kind of soft tissue - ligament and tendon - injury you can imagine.

Time will be your best friend.

exracehorse

Visit site
My mare was off for a while. In Trot on one rein. Scans showed annular ligament tear. Or rather three tear. That was last September. She's been a field ornament. I've just given her time. Vet said min 6 months. I'm hoping to still hack but won't be able to do dressage again incase it pings again

wills_91

Visit site
My mare is just being brought back into work after a tear. 8 months of box rest :|. Hoping to make a full recovery. Time, time and more time.