H&H WON'T PUT PARA TEAM ON FRONT COVER...

philamena

Visit site
... according to Lee Pearson...

"I'm really quite hurt and disappointed for me and the other Para Equestrian riders that we have heard that our national horse magazine 'Horse & Hound' will NOT be featuring the Gold Medal winning riders on their front cover. Since 1996 this team has won EVERY team Gold & only two riders have ever featured on the front cover..."

If this is true, what do we think?

HazyXmas

Visit site
I think that would be a great shame :-(

I was lucky enough to get tickets for the dressage on Sunday morning. It was an honour to watch those talented riders & their beautiful horses perform. There was such a fantastic atmosphere & genuine support for all the riders. I was very proud to be British.

I would be delighted to see them on the cover of H&H.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
well would certainly be interested to know the reasons. There might be good reasons (timing of victories vs copy deadlines or something) but they had better be good.....

I would be too. With regards to the timings, didn't the magazine come out a day later during the Olympics so that H&H could feature the results of the equestrian sports?

Seems such a shame if they won't be on the front cover as the Para Team have done amazingly well.

philamena

Visit site
Someone's posted on his facebook page to say they've since updated the cover...??

To be honest, it shouldn't matter whether the victory misses the print deadline (which I think might be Tuesday night for H&H) because if you can't update before the last run, you just come up with a more creative way to feature them in a pic for the next week's issue, and tell everyone that because of timings it can't be this week but will be next. Yes a podium shot might look dated by nine days later, but something more creative featuring them all would look fab. Not clear from Lee's post whether it was just about this week or 'at all'...

crabbymare

Visit site
Considering the fact that the team were expected to do well and hopefully get another gold medal it would have make sense if H&H had made arrangements in place to put a picture of them on at short notice if they did win. If they are able to get a write up to fit a slot inside the magazine then surely it is as easy if not easier to put a cover photo on :(

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I bought the post Olympics Edition, but I won't buy one for a week or so.... a small and insignificant protest, but really what do you do. .... medals galore for Team GB and a lot of overseas people would also buy the magazine, including thousands currently in London for the Games.

spaniel

Visit site
Timing and print runs are one thing but if someones made a decision not to feature the Paralympians on a cover at all then that is a massive kick in the teeth. I think we really do need some clarification here.

teapot

Visit site
Going by the H&H website and small image of the front cover, it's primarily Andrew Nicholson with a small pic of Sophie Christiansen (I think) in the bottom left and 'GB's dazzling Paras' at the top.

Hmmm. Such a shame but then again H&H doesn't even cover the RDA Nationals... :rolleyes:

teapot

Visit site
Haha, H&H has just tweeted: The paralympic team's amazing achievements ARE on the front cover and are also covered extensively in the magazine'.

That's not the same H&H :mad:

ETS: next tweet "Due to the clash with Burghley, we had to acknowledge both these great events in one magazine cover, which isn't the easiest'

Then 'We are sorry if some of you are disappointed with H&H cover, but we hope when you pick up the magazine you will feel we have done both credit'.

Last edited:

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
That's a bit poor really...Burghley is every year, the Paralympics are only every 4 and we've lots of winners to be very proud of!

This - not impressed at all. There are several 4* events every year and the Paralympics is only once every four years.

As for -actually they are on the front cover' - yeah just about - small box in the bottom corner.

Shame on you HHO - it was pretty clear the Para team would do amazingly and break lots of records so you cant claim to be caught on the hop.

Seriously not impressed, very disappointed.

Very bad call on this one, and even more to try and justify the token insert pic.

I rarely criticise H&H but am very surprised at them this time.

1t34

Visit site
Haha, H&H has just tweeted: The paralympic team's amazing achievements ARE on the front cover and are also covered extensively in the magazine'.

ETS: next tweet "Due to the clash with Burghley, we had to acknowledge both these great events in one magazine cover, which isn't the easiest'

Then 'We are sorry if some of you are disappointed with H&H cover, but we hope when you pick up the magazine you will feel we have done both credit'.

Poor explanation and excuse, shame on Horse and Hound, I am sure the riders from Burghley would be mortified that they had been chosen for the front cover over our gold medal winning para riders. It is a pity the editor felt this was acceptable given all the coverage and promotion they have printed in the past.

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
Now I am SERIOUSLY p*ssed off. The Paralympic GOLD is only won once every 4 years and in 2012 it was won by the BRITISH PARA TEAM........................... Burghley was won by an amazing New Zealand rider, but he is NOT BRITISH. Horse & Hound you are a BRITISH publication, so please tell me why the BRITISH Para Team was not your priority.......................................

Xander

Visit site

Agreed. Weasel words from H&H :mad:

BBH

Visit site
Actually I stood up for them earlier but agreed that is such an after thought photo.

Nothing like the whistles and bangs of the ealier Olympic teams.

I can't believe we have yet another eventing photo taking precedence on the front cover and yet a multiple Olympian is squeezed into the corner.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Think the pictures should have been the other way around. Main image the Paras and a smaller one of AN. What our Paralympian Equestrian team have achieved is of far more importance, to me anyway. They are an inspiration to us all, and whilst I do not want to detract from AN's win at Burghley, or indeed any of the competitors there, he's not British and the Paras are. They deserve to be acclaimed properly on the front cover of our foremost equestrian weekly, whatever the content may be inside, and I, for one , am disappointed they are not. I shall buy the magazine, as I always do, but I am rather dismayed they did not take prominence on the cover of this weeks issue.

armchair_rider

Visit site
Definitely tricky with the timing but agree they should still have taken precedence - Paras are every 4 years rather than annually and the Brits have totally dominated them.

H&H should have been smart and published early this week focussed on Burghley and then gone Paras crazy next week.

Eventing always seems to be better covered in H&H than dressage (or SJ'ing), presumably the readership favours eventing - I do in general but not this week

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'd have done it the other way round with a pic of Andrew with his winner's sash/ trophy in the corner where Sophie (?) Is then main one of the paras on the podium. Or how about a split one like with the dressage/ sj on it?

diduck

New User
Visit site
Shame on you H&H for not celebrating a momentous result for the GB equestrian squad. Whilst I appreciate Burghley is a very prestigious 4* event and needs full recognition I feel the balance of the front cover is not proportionate to the importance of the competition reported.
It is all well and good giving full reports within the magazine but your front cover is a statement to your readership.
Your front cover says " we know there was a competition in London where some riders did well but WOW look what Andrew Nicholson did at Burghley!"

I think many of your readers will be very disappointed with your take on what is the most report worthy event of the last week. What we have all been very proud of with both the Olympics and the Paralympics is that the public have been hugely vocal and supported througout yet you have chosen not to shout from the rooftop about a magnificent GB result but instead whisper it quietly (at the bottom of your page). Tut Tut editor I feel you have misread the publics opinion here:confused:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
agree with you all !!!!!!! our british paras should be on the cover and if we have to have a.n. put him in a small pic in the corner...he is not british!!!!!!and the olypics are only every 4 years..

smiggy

Visit site
well will be voting with my purse this week then :mad:
having had the pleasure of watching on monday and hearing the inspirational stories of the athletes am appalled that our weekly equestrian publication cant give them front cover space.
think we should organise a boycott unless h and h issue an apology and give them a front cover next week :mad:

jnb

Visit site
I've posted on Facebook, I will not buy this weeks edition and nor will I until they print a deserved front cover for our Paralympic heroes - this is discrimination plain and simple and has done much to undo the enormous amount of good these Paralympics have done to break down barriers.
Very angry and disappointed and hope the team aren't too hurt by this snub :(
PS I Hope anyone who agrees will also vote with their purse this week and leave copies on the shelf. hit em where it hurts since they don't seem to listen to their readers!!