Haas brushes

Allykat

Visit site
I'm thinking of treating myself to some new brushes. Are Haas brushes worth it? I'm keen to just get a couple of separate brushes rather than a pack but I'm confused with what they are all meant to do.....

Any recommendations for use on a greasy fluffy bay thoroughbred please?

WelshD

Visit site
The Schimmel is good, like a short bristle dandy brush. The body brushes with the longer bristles around the edge (I think the Lippizanner is one) are good for scurfy coats as the longer bristles flick it away from the coat. the most used of my set is the Fellglanz (not sure on spelling there) which is just a gorgeous body brush

they are miraculous brushes but they do make grooming a pleasure

countryal

Visit site
I bought the full set as they were on a show offer - they are amazing! Wouldn't use anything else now. Bought a couple of the key ones that I use to go in the wagon.

If I was buying again I'd buy:

Curry Comb - Soft enough to use all over, but really lifts the mud / sweat and cleans them well

Flick brush (Mr Flicky - Alan Davies one) - Use after the curry to get rid of the lifted dirt.

Schimmel - great for getting tough stains out (probably not as useful on a bay!)

Diva - Lifts any remaining dust and gives a great shine!

Since buying, it has derastically reduced the frequency of washes, and the need for stain remover (I have a skewbald, Dun and Grey!) Really good quality brushes, mine are almost 2 years old and are used most days and none of them look like they need replacing.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've used the Schimmel, which is the one for greys, and it's a really good brush. Not quite the magic wand for stains that they claim, but still better than any other brush I've used.
Ha ha: the schimmel isn't just for greys...........Haas are a nice brush, but not exactly miraculous. There are plenty of nice brushes out there, I use a couple of the Haas ones and several other makes as well.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have a schimmel which most of mine really like, the really fine skinned TB finds it a bit rough. easily removes most grubby stains.
the plastic curry is great for cleaning brushes and quickly bashing caked on mud off.
I have a horsehair body brush with the 2 lengths of bristles, mine isn't Haas but it's similar and gives a good groom so if you don't have one of those I'd prob look at the haas version.

Allykat

Visit site
Brilliant. Thanks for the input. I think mine wouldn't be keen on the schimmel. He can be sensitive to groom. I definitely need one to lift scurfy bit off as I just don't seem to be able to find a brush that gets through the fluff!

Skib

sites.google.com
I bought a couple for a tender skinned Spanish mare I rode, but mostly and happily use my Oster. Which I got I guess because I tended to Western. Oster are easier to grip than UK style brushes, wash easily and old clumsy people like me dont tend to drop them as often.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I got the chestnut/light bay pack for my bay sensitive tb.

The curry comb is really good for getting mud off, it's bendy enough that he doesn't object.

He loves the diva lambskin one but when you're looking at a horse that's just rolled in deep mud, it's not going to have much effect, more of a gentle stroke than a brush, aptly named for my diva tb.

The Cavaliere and military are the stiffest brushes in this pack, I couldn't go any stiffer than that. They're the ones I tend to use either/or

The Fellglantz or gloss brush I use the most, it's soft enough to use everywhere once I've removed the mud.

The mane tail brush is ok and I use it but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to replace if I lost it.

palo1

Visit site
I have some Haas brushes and tbh the biggest difference they make is to the effort you want to put in and the pleasure in using them correctly and seeing the results. They do require elbow grease but they are lovely brushes to hold and use and the horses really seem to like them too. Look after them and they will outlast cheaper brushes so are good in that respect too.

WispyBegs

Visit site
I was gifted the Schimmel and the Diva, and can confirm they are worth the money! The Schimmel is terrific for tough stains, and the Diva leaves a lovely shiny finish.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Just don't fall for the marketing gimmick of buying a set for a certain colour. That is just a ploy to get you to buy more!
I only use my Schimmel most of the time although I do have two of the body brushes toom

gallopingby

Visit site
HAAS are VERY good at marketing their brushes. Any good quality brush with sufficient effort will do a good job but you're probably looking at a well made, quality bristle/hair brush rather than a basic £3 one!

Uliy

Visit site
I love my chestnut pack! I tend to use the military brush most ☺️ I thought I’d just use them for special occasions, but actually use them most days!

Sleipnir

Visit site
My eldest gelding is very fussy when it comes to grooming, but the Haas brushes really changed that for some reason. I don't have a set, instead, I just bought several brushes + a curry comb that seemed to fit my needs the most. Love them! Quality brushes that are nice to use and give great results. Of course, they're no miracle and, as said above, require some elbow grease as any other brush, but they're well made and will last me a lifetime, I think.

Puglover9521

New User
Visit site
I have the parcour, Lippizaner, fellglanzburste, diva, soft curry comb & the mustang. Must say out of all of them the mustang is my stand out favourite by a mile - it has bits of metal in the brush (sounds scary but it’s really not) and takes mud off in seconds, gets all their fluff out like nothing else. And both my mares (one is a fair bit sensitive) love it. In fact I think most folk at my yard now have one after having a go of mine. It’s the only one I couldn’t be without

Sealine

Visit site
I love the Fellglanzburste, it's brilliant for removing stains from my coloured. I'm planning to buy one for a friend who has just bought a grey.

Circe

Visit site
I'm going to go against the grain and say I don't really rate the ones I have, or maybe I should say that they aren't bad brushes, but for the money, I don't think they are as good as they say. I had a very good brush that I got in the UK last time I was there, which latest years and was better than the haas. I wish I could remember the brand, as Id have another one of them in an instant.
Kx