Hacking in dressage saddle

exracehorse1995

Visit site
Who hacks in their dressage saddles? I have just ordered a new saddle and its SO comfy, but will be using it for hacking as well. How to you find going for a fast canter in a dressage saddle?

Greylegs

Visit site
I hack in mine all the time but I'm not a fast sort of rider tbh!. I do find it makes my hips ache if I go for more than a couple of hours in it and have invested in a GP as well for hacking.

IGWLC

Visit site
Have hacked mine in a dressage saddle before many times, even done some small jumps when GP hasn't been available. It's fine really- not totally ideal for jumping but for hacking I should think it'll be just fine. As long as you're not rampaging around the countryside at full speed they're actually all round better than GPs, IMO haha. :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I hack in mine as its all I have, why shouldnt you hack in one I would ask the saddle fitter why not seems a strange thing to say, I would never buy a GP saddle again for any horse as I much prefer riding in a Dressage or straighter cut saddle.

exracehorse1995

Visit site
I hack in mine as its all I have, why shouldnt you hack in one I would ask the saddle fitter why not seems a strange thing to say, I would never buy a GP saddle again for any horse as I much prefer riding in a Dressage or straighter cut saddle.

they said not to hack in my GP as it doesn't fit properly :(

Kat

Visit site
I normally hack in my dressage saddle. I have also jumped and hunted in it. I have a jumping saddle now but I only use it for jumping, and hunting. I still use the dressage saddle for everything else, it is very comfortable and the horse likes it.

exracehorse1995

Visit site
Good to see others do manage to hack as well :) Yes true, could maybe swap it but he is very awkward to fit a saddle for and cant afford a new one.. maybe something for the future!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I always hack in my dressage saddle, unless I am specifically doing fitness work, when I need to work on my fitness up and out of the saddle as well as Jay's. It is more comfortable for both of us I think, although both his saddles do fit him, the dressage on leaves more shoulder swing room and I am lower.

Last month we even did a Level 2 Trec in the dressage saddle, 4 1/2 hours on all terrain, with spare jackets and maps, drinks and snacks, first aid kit and suncream, all hanging off the rather expensive work of art that is Jay's dressage saddle! It just made sense to have the one we were both most comfy in.

In winter Jay does a smashing canter along the bridle way jumping the puddles, which have imaginary 5 bar gates over the top. Luckily for the leap and launch jollies we have a neckstrap!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I ve always hacked in mine as Friesians have that big shoulder - that said I would love a slightly more forward cut one for going out and about but daughters pony came with nothing so had to supply all the necessary to get her up and going..its on my wish list..is santa listening..?

Auslander

Visit site
Always hack in my dressage saddle. It has a suede seat, so I stick to it better when Alf does one of his spook/spin/drop shoulder/bog off manoeuvres. I hacked him once in the GP, and the little stinker nearly dropped me! I've jumped some pretty big fences in it in the past when Aussie was still alive - my knees came over the front, but i didn't really notice, as I don't use my knees much!

only_me

Visit site
I hack in the dressage saddle all the time :)

I have gone for a gallop, jumped and even done xc jumps (water jump, steps, skinny arrowheads etc.) in the dressage with no issues :)

But it is purely for laziness - the stirrups on jump saddle are too short to hack in comfortably so i only use it for going to gallops and jumping! Dont want to alter the height lol. Oh and my horse is massive - and I'm very happy in the dressage!

Tobiano

Visit site
I hacked and went hunting in a dressage saddle when it was all I had - but much prefer the GP, though I only have a VSD so it isn't that different. You can take a light seat in a dressage saddle when you need to, I find.

Hexx

Visit site
Always in my dressage saddle - mind you, it is the only one I have now as sold the GP a couple of years ago. I have a Jaguar and it is one of the most comfortable saddle I have ever sat in. It has a deep seat, which has saved me during the "spin and tank" moments.

lhotse

Visit site
I used to have a dressage saddle for my old mare, we never even entered a menage as all we did was hack. The saddle fitted her well, so I bought on a whim. I used to hack 20 miles in it.

Burmilla

Visit site
I have always used my lovely WoW dressage saddle for everything - xcountry, endurance, low-level show jumping, hunter trials, hacking, and - dressage! I ride a spook n spin artiste, and the WoW has kept me wedged safely in the plate throughout. Before the WoW, I had an Ideal Jessica dressage saddle, and that was a good seat saver too. Prefer not to ride in a GP as I have never found one that felt ok for either me or The Spook :)

Notimetoride

Visit site
A showjumping friend of mine had a horse with v high withers and the only saddle she found to fit her horse was a dressage saddle, so she showjumped in a dressage saddle - even at Hickstead ! Whatever works best i guess :)

Kat

Visit site
Somewhere on here there is video of the sparkle sisters going round the gallops on their ex-racers in dressage saddles.