Hacking on roads

Em123

Visit site
Just joined the Facebook group that shows some of the accidents people have had, poor poor horses and it is heartbreaking for the owners.

However it made me make the decision that I will not hack on roads anymore! If I can't get off road hacking (which I can at the moment) I won't be hacking!

What are your personal views?

Mrs C

Visit site
I have to go on the roads where I am. They are country roads and reasonably quiet but the number of bikes seems to rise year on year. My horse is ok in traffic but hates the noisy bikes hence I venture out less and less - a handful of times this year. Its a shame but in my opinion, not worth the risk

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
I'm not a happy hacker, I hack because its good for my beastie. Hacking on roads is beneficial for bone density and foot growth (shoeless) so for us its a must. I know horses can be unpredictable but I would say my mare is good with most vehicles on the road. Yes the worst could happen, but the chance of that vs. the benefits of hacking on the roads, mean it's worth the small risk. We don't have access to miles of off road here, but when I have had that facility I've still chosen to do weekly road rides too. It would be very different if I had a horse that I did not feel was safe on he road however, as the risk vs benefit ratio would swing the other way.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I go on the roads and believe it's a useful part of a horses training AND subsequent fitness regime. I am lucky enough to live in a fairly rural area (though on a ratrun) and 99.9% of people who pass are very good and even, on occasion too good (think turning engine off, waiting and creeping past at the speed of a gnat!) but I'm thankful, always.

If people stop riding out, it will become harder for those that do and slowly they will stop too. And then the barrrrrr... have won!

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Well after the council have just given permission for 12 arctic lorries a day to come down the lane where I keep my horse to get to prodrive I'm not sure whether I will be hacking again :( horse perfect on roads but think this will be a step too far! :(

niagaraduval

Visit site
I only hack with my boy and am in a busy town so roads are unavoidable. I have huge lorries and tractors go past on most days but my horse has learnt to accept them and doesn't bat an eyelid when we are out hacking. I would like to not have to use the roads, but I don't have a choice. I do however try and do my part by thanking nice drivers, wearing hi viz, keeping to the side etc. I still do come across a lot of ar se holes though !!

Clava

Visit site
Hacking is vey important to me and to get to the goodstuff I must hack on the road and will be continuing to do so.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I think unless you livery on a massive country estate then its a pretty miserable and dull life for a horse never to go out and about personally.

Horseriding is inherently a risky activity. The worst fall I have had has been being dumped in the manege and getting caught up in the fence while still attached to the horse.

Of course if you look at a horse accidents site online it will give you the willies....

For the sanity of your horse, please keep hacking (or consider it).

Also, the fewer people who do hack out, the more non riders we meet will think we don't need to be out on the roads and the less they will encounter horses on roads which will make them poorer at driving appropriately.

I reckon Vis up and get out there. (NB that doesn't apply to those with specially challenging issues like the artics coming down every half hour or whatever...)

Jools2345

Visit site
i hack on the roads cos i enjoy it, its good for hoof growth, bone density, it creates a more forward thinking/well rounded horse and there are less instances of tendon/ligament breakdown in horses that do road work.

i am not under estimating the road accidents and injuries received but i wonder how they compare statistically to field accidents/yard accidents/eventing accidents etc etc. more should be done to try and get the roads safe to ride on than stop riding on them. if i could not hack out i dont think i would bother riding

stargirl88

Visit site
Well, its up tp you, but on that same idea. Go look at photos of car crashes..... Are you goig to stop driving?
Anything could happen to any one of us at any moment. If we stopped doing the things we enjoyed because there was a risk of death or injury thered be no point leaving the house ;)

quirky

Visit site
A school friend of mine died in a cycle accident 27 years ago :( - I still ride a bike.
A girl in the year below me got run over and suffered life changing injuries :( - I still cross the road.
My ex-boyfriend died at a tragically young age whilst lying on the sofa :( - I still lie on the sofa.

Having hacked out on the roads for 20 odd years without an accident :) or any of my yard mates having an accident :), I will carry on.
My horse loves hacking, ears forward stomping along, looking around taking in her surroundings. It is so much more fulfilling for both of us than bumbling round a school day in day out. That said, my competition days are over. If I was competing and had particular aims and problems to resolve, schooling may be more satisfying.

I do try and minimize the risks of hacking out, going a certain route if the sun is low, not going if the farmers are back and forth and of course hi-viz at all times.

Nope, I will not be put off yet. God forbid something should happen to us, then yes, I suspect I would reassess whether it is wise to be on the roads.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Rachel star- i used to keep my boy down from a quarry so big lorrys and diggers however the drivers were always considerate and would wait for you to pass.
Hopefully yours will be- can you maybe go speak to the business there going to so they can warn drivers of the horses in area.
Don't give up just yet.

[59668]

Visit site
I have also recently made the decision to not hack on roads any more. I am lucky enough to have the farm where I keep my horse to hack round and have transport so just box up to the local toll rides

mynutmeg

Visit site
Your more likely to have an accident in the car than you are riding a horse on the road. My only accident was in th school but doesn't stop me going in there

Buds_mum

Visit site
So you would just ride around the school? Or box up to some off round hacking?

Just viz up like a day glo Christmas tree, bomb proof neddie as much as poss and get hacking.

All my hacking is roads, I am a bit squirmy about on route which a some blind bends so only go that way with one or more others.
But otherwise me and boy go all over, he is only 5 but bomb proof as can be, I ensure I take him down the main road at least once a week, he does not flicker at all.

You make steps to reduce risk as in everything you do, driving = seatbelts on and driving safely. Hopefully. But as said above, look at pics of road accidents you gonna stop getting in a car?

Life is short, live it!

If that means taking your beloved horse for a wander out, which is good for you and him. Then do it.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I used to hack in a really busy area which had a mix of single track roads and busy main roads. There was off road riding but you had to do roadwork to get there. I used to take my mare over motorway bridges, under motorway bridges and down roads with all kinds of traffic to get to the woods. I always decked out in hi viz and tried to time my rides with quieter times. Even so we had the occasional surprise - like the time a steam engine was coming towards us on a narrow lane. There were also lots of bikes and walkers.

The majority of people were very kind especially the drivers of large vehicles and boy racers. :) The main trouble was from people trying to squeeze past white going over canal bridges, so I learnt to go over the middle of the bridge pretty quickly and then move over once there was room for the car to come by. I always waved, nodded or smiled my thanks to those that slowed down.

Now I am in a very rural area. It's all narrow lanes and we mainly meet farm traffic and escaped sheep. My mares brilliantness in traffic is still needed as some of the farm traffic is huuuge and pretty rattly.

I love hacking and my young horses are walked out regularly in-hand to get them used to the sights and sounds that they will meet.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think your desision is not logical .
Hacking is good for horses physically and mentally.
And you have not considered stopping going in cars , crossing the road on foot flying in planes having operations in hospital going up ladders and a million other things that can result in disaster.
I don't know how many accidents on the road there are per hour ridden in the uk but I bet it's not many and that it compares favourably with driven a car.
I would not inflict the increased risks to my horses soundness to avoid the small chance of an accident.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I can't imagine not hacking, to be honest I would feel there wasn't much point in having horses. Even the youngster goes out in-hand. They really enjoy it. We are lucky in that if I wanted to I could ride without ever setting foot on tarmac but it would limit routes and as mine are barefoot I think it's an important part of their routine. Giving them traffic experience is also really important. We do have a major A road running nearby and I would not ride along it because it's very hilly and bendy, and gets closed by the police on a regular basis when someone has a nasty accident. But I do cross it when riding and I do walk my youngster in the fields alongside so he can see the big lorries, motorbikes and fast cars.

Traffic isn't going to go away, no amount of campaigning will change that. As others have said, everything is a risk if you think about it in that way. Hi vis and a traffic-experienced horse minimise those risks (along with a schooling whip, which seems to give that visual width some drivers seem to need help with).

Patchworkpony

Visit site
What about the lethal new style tarmac? A couple of years ago my driving pony fell down crossing a very slippery road. We both kept calm and he was clever enough to get himself up again but it was terrifying. I do know people who have to ride down that road and they all say it is very frightening as not only is the traffic fast but their horses slip badly on the road surface.

Extra nails in shoes and 'roadsure' don't help that much. I personally think over the next few decades we will see less and less hacking on the roads. Round here where we live we hardly see any horses out on the roads now, compared with 5 years ago.

Hippona

Visit site
I go on the roads and believe it's a useful part of a horses training AND subsequent fitness regime. I am lucky enough to live in a fairly rural area (though on a ratrun) and 99.9% of people who pass are very good and even, on occasion too good (think turning engine off, waiting and creeping past at the speed of a gnat!) but I'm thankful, always.

If people stop riding out, it will become harder for those that do and slowly they will stop too. And then the barrrrrr... have won!

Ditto.
Have hacked on roads for 30 years.....not going to stop now.
I think it's a necessary part of a well rounded horse.

Hippona

Visit site
What about the lethal new style tarmac? A couple of years ago my driving pony fell down crossing a very slippery road. We both kept calm and he was clever enough to get himself up again but it was terrifying. I do know people who have to ride down that road and they all say it is very frightening as not only is the traffic fast but their horses slip badly on the road surface.

Extra nails in shoes and 'roadsure' don't help that much. I personally think over the next few decades we will see less and less hacking on the roads. Round here where we live we hardly see any horses out on the roads now, compared with 5 years ago.

Don't have that problem barefoot ;)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't have issues with the new type Tarmac the horses adjust how they walk.
One of my oldest friends had her whole life changed when her horse slipped on the grass and fell on her mine was changed when a fall in the school broke my leg so badly I nearly lost it.
I very happy hacking on the road I know I risk accident but then I know I risk it every breath I draw you never know when somethings going to happen to you.

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Hippona - good point but not every horse has suitable feet to go barefoot. What about those that need special or supportive shoes such as heartbars?

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Hippona - good point but not every horse has suitable feet to go barefoot. What about those that need special or supportive shoes such as heartbars?

They would especially benefit, heartbars cant solve underlying issues long term, although they make horse more comfy while the underlying problems deteriorate.....

It is so nice riding down Tarmac roads knowing horse is not going to trip because they are barefoot, you feel so much more secure.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
True...
I'm sure I read somewhere you can approach the highways department about this if it's dangerous....worth a try if there's a lot of you affected?

That's correct, if it is causing specific safety issues there are things they can do like laying chippings in tar over it. Bear in mind that if is an issue for horses it is highly likely also to be an issue for motorcyclists and perhaps cyclists too, so it isn't just a horseriders demanding stuff thing, approach them on behalf of all these groups and they are often willing to act - there have been some very high profile and terrible accidents which they will be well aware of and I believe there are guidelines suggesting avoiding areas of high horse/motorcycle/cycle usage tho I might have imagined that.

Contact them via email or in writing tho so there is a record. You can even use the pothole reporting type online forms.

MrsNorris

Visit site
Like lots of others, I have been hacking on the roads for 30 odd years and have no plans to stop now.
It is probably more dangerous now than it ever was, but just be sensible, hi viz, be mindful of very bad weather/poor visability and train your horse appropriatly (oh, and being barefoot definatly does help!).

Life's too short to give up something you love just in case something bad happens.

Last edited:

Artful

Visit site
I have to use roads to get to the bridal paths fortunately my boy is brilliant on roads with any sort of traffic but that was the biggest criteria for me buying him in the first place!

Lolo

Visit site
The new style tarmac should settle into being better than it is for the first year or so...

Hacking on the roads is a necessity round us. You can't do anything though it. And if you don't go on the roads, you're limited in what you can do- we have a field for schooling in, but it's not great for lots of riding on because it gets a bit ruined. So we'll always hack on roads, wearing high-viz. Our horses are solid though, and the ones which aren't do get taken onto the off-road stuff as much as possible until they'e better.